The Man in The High Castle (Philip K Dick)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
We watched High Castle first episode last night, and Jessica Jones first episode. Both were decent enough to keep watching. Not sure which one, though.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I know Phillip K. Dick is a renowned scifi author but I felt seriously cheated by this show. I don't know if the book explains the origin of the films, but if not, that sucks. It's like he wanted to talk about the issue of parallel universes but didn't know enough about the idea to create a believable explanation. Hell, I would have even taken an unbelievable explanation.
I mean we know that each film depicts a different timeline so it's pretty obvious this is the direction he's going.
But instead of dealing with it headon, he throws the zen crap in at the end.

This actually makes sense from the perspective of certain types of Buddhism. Many sects have the idea of different, even infinite, planes of existence. But once you start having physical artifacts from different timelines, I want some kind of fucking explanation.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
I think it's weird logging into Amazon and seeing a huge banner with Nazi symbols all over it, including the Statue of Liberty. :p

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Watched the first episode last night. Decent so far and the whole plot and setting is just interesting to me. I'm definitely watching a few more episodes, at least.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
ok i give, what is on the films everybody is chasing????
Each film shows a different version of history. Some show the US winning, some show the UK, each one shows and alternate reality. The problem for me however is that we never get any inkling of where these films come from.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Looks like Amazon is going for some free publicity by plastering posters throughout the NYC subway system and knowing that with a high concentration of Jewish people that people would get pissed and then the media would pick it up and give them free publicity. Bezos learning a thing or two from Trump.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/24/us/new-york-subway-nazi-japanese-symbols-feat/index.html

It's an interesting concept and if the time frame is indeed 1962 it's just possible the Nazi's and Japanese would still be working together. The idea that Nazism could survive for many decades or centuries is utter nonsense as the idea behind it would sooner or latter result in almost everyone being exterminated for not being pure enough. So, a setting of 1962 would be unlikely but at least feasible.

Brian

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
What year were they supposed to have won the war? Seventeen years is nothing. Is there anything in the story about how the Germans and Japanese were supposed to have defeated the Americans in North America? That's the part that seems more than a little far fetched.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
What year were they supposed to have won the war? Seventeen years is nothing. Is there anything in the story about how the Germans and Japanese were supposed to have defeated the Americans in North America? That's the part that seems more than a little far fetched.
I think it's more like 15 years since in this timeline the war ended in 1947. But it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, the Germans apparently developed the bomb (Heisenberg device) and nuked DC. Japan didn't figure out how to build the bomb so why Germany ceded the Western part of the country is something I don't think is ever answered, at least not in the tv show.

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
I think it's more like 15 years since in this timeline the war ended in 1947. But it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, the Germans apparently developed the bomb (Heisenberg device) and nuked DC. Japan didn't figure out how to build the bomb so why Germany ceded the Western part of the country is something I don't think is ever answered, at least not in the tv show.

I'm only up to episode 5, but I'm assuming since they were allies (Axis), they split up the USA like they did Berlin at the end of that part of WWII (in our timeline). But through what I've seen so far, the German & Japanese relations seemed strained, neither side trusting the other.

I'm really liking the show too. There's another show with a western theme that I ended up watching over the weekend. I hope they pick up that show too.

Ban Bot

Jun 1, 2010
Same here.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Me three.

My wife even liked it and we did 2 episodes a night. The acting is solid, the set pieces are good, writing is solid for a TV style series. The episodes get better as you progress with some believable tension. The Juliana character isn't very deep but some people are like that (they get an idea in their head and cannot see the forest for the trees).

The Nazi John Smith and Japanese Trade Minister are well written/acted characters. Joe, Frank, and the Japanese Inspector are also executed well. Overall, for a drama style series none of the writing or acting broke the word created. And the world crafted feels authentic and oppressive.

What I enjoyed most, though, is it looked seriously at some of the plausible social consequences if Japan/Germany won the war.
The "snow" Joe sees is actually ash from burning all the bodies of "terminal" patients at the hospital. The cops reaction, basically ho hum not so bad not sure why we even fought the war, was really subtle but like a punch in the gut. It offers a good parallel to how could people in Europe justify/look aside from the Nazi atrocities. Simple. Slow assimilation in the name of the greater good. The murder of Frank's sister and children was extremely sad yet believable. The final episodes allow you some turn around on these issues where Nazi John Smith's son is diagnosed with a "terminal" condition and the doctor gives him the supplies to euthanize his son. One the one hand they crafted the character so well you are finally happy to see something not go his way. And his son is the perfect Nazi parrot and classic brain washing. Yet right before this episode you can see he is a good kid, your typical "he is someone's son/brother" so when Smith becomes conflicted, first in denial and then facing his path in its face but unwilling to embrace it while he has so quickly, time after time, embraced the Nazi ideology that lead to death of suffering of others. Those are just some of the items that come to mind.

Just some examples that stood out. I appreciate a show that can grapple with such serious issues as a matter of course as it hits home. There are quite a few moments like that with a lot of well crafted characters. The story pacing has a good mix of slow burn items and surprises aside from the immediate conflicts.

I cannot wait for Season 2. I don't have a TV and we don't spend much time watching movies or TV series (last series we got into was Lie to Me) but this is a keeper.
This has a Lost vibe to me. I only saw a couple episodes of Lost but the mystery of HOW the films are crossing timelines is driving me crazy. Did a nuke open up a pathway? I told my wife early on this seemed to have a Sci-Fi bent and I was right but you have to wait it out to Episode 10 to get confirmation. And even then it isn't presented as such, just more of a mystery of how can Joe be taped killing Frank?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I'm only up to episode 5, but I'm assuming since they were allies (Axis), they split up the USA like they did Berlin at the end of that part of WWII (in our timeline). But through what I've seen so far, the German & Japanese relations seemed strained, neither side trusting the other.

I'm really liking the show too. There's another show with a western theme that I ended up watching over the weekend. I hope they pick up that show too.

haven't watched it yet but was the Axis powers Germany, japan, and Italy?
Italy didn't get a place in this new order?

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
haven't watched it yet but was the Axis powers Germany, japan, and Italy?
Italy didn't get a place in this new order?
Didn't Mussolini eventually abandon Hilter and fascism? My guess is that the invasion happened and Italy was conquered just like in our timeline. But then we lost at the Battle of the Bulge or at some other critical point. That gave Germany enough time to build a bomb.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
so watched till ep 5.
stopped when she turned herself in only because I need to sleep.

lol.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I gotta admit, seeing Americans in SS uniforms and being hard core Nazis and the American flag with the swastika in the blue field instead of stars creeps me the fuck out.