The link between the USD and Price of oil

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: manowar821
Obsoleet, I think the resistance you're receiving here (aside from perhaps LegendKiller) can be easily described as blind faith in country, or nationalism. There is no reason behind most of it.

lol, perhaps? Please, the resistance he is receiving from me only has to do with the technical and fundamental attributes as to the relationship he is describing are absolutely incorrect. There's not one primary economist that will agree that the biggest reason why the dollar is valued where it is is because oil. Sorry, there are too many working parts to an economy and country. History has proven that in many areas with many people and many countries.

Take your own blind faith elsewhere, as I have trouced you and your RonPaulBots all over this thread and forum regarding economics. Your blind faith and limited knowledge is laughable and, like usual, when trounced you guys flee threads. Obsoleet definitely deserves credit for sticking around this far, but his premise is still failed and most people (other then RPBs) will ackwnowledge that.

Just a couple things... First, I haven't argued with you on this subject. Second, I'm not a "Ron Paul bot". I do think he's the only decent republican candidate, but I don't think I'd vote for him if he was nominated, unless is it was him versus Hillary. I like Obama much more.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Strange how when I pointed out this correlation here back in 03 and 04 that McOwen would accuse me of be an oil company shill.

:roll:

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
The dollar is the world reserve currency. That is why oil is denominated in dollars. The US dollar officially became the world reserve currency after WWII as the US Empire officially supplanted the dying British Empire and it's pound.

Today we see the same process going on that went on pre WWII with the British pound. Before WWII the US for a long time propped up the pound and the British Empire until it become unsustainable. We see this today as other nations, that rely on exports to the US to keep their economies going, want the US to have a strong dollar and are trying to prop up the dollar. But the US can no longer keep the dollar strong, the US economy is growing too weak. Outsourcing and the trade deficit is hollowing out the US economy.

Soon the US may be forced to start paying for it's oil in euros or some other currency.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Vic
Strange how when I pointed out this correlation here back in 03 and 04 that McOwen would accuse me of be an oil company shill.

:roll:

and still do.

Your posts lean Republican, period.

Really? Even when I post anti-drug prohibition, pro-gay, or pro-civil liberties?

Your posts lean TROLL, period.

OokiiNeko

Jun 14, 2003
LK says:
I laugh at your attempt to undermine my knowledge by saying that "RP says so, so he must be right" please, do you have any thoughts of your own? Any analysis? Any ideas or theories?

How does one undermine the knowledge you are so secure in???

For the rest, I think you go too far here. I like the fact that RP brings up subjects that are very ANTI-lemming. For instance, the fact that the Federal Reserve will not report how much US currency is now in circulation (Is it G3 numbers? edit: It`s M3.). I would argue that this, more than any single factor, determines the value of the US currency.

What would you tie printing new currency to? GDP growth? Okay. Ron Paul rightly points out that every dollar printed beyond a certain economic factor (let`s say GDP growth and discount replacing worn out currency) dilutes the value of all currency currently in circulation.
That sounds pretty reasonable and common sense to me. Only we do not know if that is what the Fed is doing. If you know different, would be happy to read anything you can provide.

As for Obsoleet saying the dollar is tied to oil, I may not agree, but it is not a surprising assumption seeing that oil seems to be driving our foreign relations policies and what "bad guys" we invade and what "bad guys" we don`t.
All that has been discussed elsewhere in this forum.

Not a RONPAULBOT but don`t care if you call me one :)