The Lincoln Project was created by supporters of Trump's own party?! Do Dems trust them?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 11, 2004
I'm going to disagree with people. Sorry but there's no fucking way that the same people that built Republicans as we know it are the ones making these videos. They're either hiring much smarter younger people to do them, or something, because its clearly not the same. I've literally never in my entire lifetime seen Republicans exhibit the mental wherewithal that it would take to make those videos. This is something different. It might be that the certain assholes are the ones bankrolling the videos, I don't know, but I can all but guarantee that they're not the ones making the videos. So, sure maybe be wary of them using that for personal gains (although I'm not sure how since the simple fact is they're using Republicans' own shit against themselves - so Democrats would have to be doing that level of stupid shit to be able to make it so they could make that kind of stuff in which case, have at them).

I have not given any money to them, nor will I, and I don't give a shit about political campaigns much, and especially any Republican ones. I don't get the freaking out. They seem to be doing things legit (as in they're not doing the illegal shit that Cambridge Analytica was doing), and they have salient points, and have openly said they're pushing Democrats across the board because of how completely shitty Republicans are being. Until I see something that disputes any of that, I'm fine with it.

Hell, let them burn the Republican party to the fucking ground. No clue why some of you are saying that's a bad thing. Fact is, if their ideals match up with what the videos have been, then I say fucking do it, and good on them for it.

Frankly it just sounds like a shoot the messenger situation. If you can point out some aspect of the videos or social media that deserves that response, then great, let me see it. Hell, people tried posting some twitter stuff one of the guys posted (from his own personal Twitter) and I didn't get the problem at all. They were just using Republicans' own shitty rhetoric back at them (which I regularly see liberals do, in fact I can almost guarantee most of the people complaining about it have done it themselves - I sure as shit have because its incredibly effective at getting under right wingers' skins and I've had multiple ones that were being complete fucking assholes that after I did that to them, they stopped being so fucking shitty because they didn't like how it felt - I made sure to point out the instances where they'd done what I did to them before to highlight that if they've got a fuckin problem with it then they should maybe not instigate it themselves).

I have no problem calling assholes what they are either, so fine, call out their shitty behavior. Hell, I get the sentiment, as I've been doing that for some, I guess I just disagree and think if there's ever a time for shitty people to take a step back and try to not be shitty it'd be now. Frankly I have a bigger problem with people like Colin Powell and Bush Jr trying to play at being decent after the shit they've been responsible for, or for people like McCain and Romney to act affronted by Turmp after their fucking bullshit. I view all 4 of those people I just named are more responsible for Turmp and the Republican party as it is now because they literally have been the fucking Republican party (as in they're the politicians doing the shit I'm angry about). But yet some of you have fallen over yourselves to defend them at times, and its fucking bullshit.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
No they are Republicans who don't support Trumpism. That's it.

Well they're the ones that created Trumpism. Namely Steve Schmidt from the Lincoln Project who was responsible for putting Sarah Palin, the original Trump, as the face of the party in 2008. The Lincoln Project can go fuck off now trying to wash their hands of Trump when they built their party around anti-intellectualism and owning the libs over the last 12 years.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Well they're the ones that created Trumpism. Namely Steve Schmidt from the Lincoln Project who was responsible for putting Sarah Palin, the original Trump, as the face of the party in 2008. The Lincoln Project can go fuck off now trying to wash their hands of Trump when they built their party around anti-intellectualism and owning the libs over the last 12 years.

The roots of Trumpism go back to Gingrich & beyond. Getting those Libertopian culture warrior juices flowing with fear & misinformation. Trump turned it up to 11 & won. GOP strategists probably didn't realize quite what they'd done until it happened. They thought they could always control it. Then Trump commandeered the Base & made it his own. They were primed & ready to join a cult of personality.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
They were created purely to prevent Trump from being president. I doubt they will stay around as a group after that. It is a worthy goal though.

If that is their only objective, then why are they campaigning against all the down ballot repugs?

Reactions: feralkid

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
It really is a testament to how poorly Dems are at playing politics to see Republicans make ads against those in their own party.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Dunno about "all" but they've def got wood for some of Trump's most compliant lackeys.

They are campaigning against "all" the Senate repugs with the exception of Mitt Romney who is the only one who voted to oust Trump. I'll take it.

Given the dire circumstances under which this country finds itself right now, opposing this group is utter insanity.

Reactions: Aegeon

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
It really is a testament to how poorly Dems are at playing politics to see Republicans make ads against those in their own party.

Republicans attacking Republicans is a Democrat problem?

lol, surely you realize just how stupid that is right?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

You're just here to tear down the dirty Democrats, huh? That's the only way your comment makes any sense at all.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Steve Schmidt admited years before Trump that Palin was a huge mistake. Interestingly, Schmidt said this:

“I think there are important lessons to learn. The reality is is that both parties have nominated people in the last decade who are not prepared to be anywhere near the Oval Office. John Edwards in the Democratic Party. Sarah Palin in the Republican Party. And we ought to take a pause and understand how that happened, why it happened and hopefully it’ll never happen again in our lifetimes.

LOL yes. But now that is has happened again, at least he's trying to do something about it.

Reactions: feralkid and Aegeon

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
The people behind The Lincoln Project are the architects of the modern Republican Party. They created the Republican base voter to be reprogrammable meatbags that believe whatever they're told to believe, right now. Their abilities to form long term political memories have been destroyed on purpose for that function.

Sorry, I can't agree with any analysis which ignores the pivotal role of conservative media in creating this mess we're in, and tries instead to place the blame on the few conservatives who are trying to right this wrong, if only belatedly.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Steve Schmidt admited years before Trump that Palin was a huge mistake. Interestingly, Schmidt said this:

LOL yes. But now that is has happened again, at least he's trying to do something about it.

It's like setting a house on fire and then well I tried to hook up a garden hose and spray it down after.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Sorry, I can't agree with any analysis which ignores the pivotal role of conservative media in creating this mess we're in, and tries instead to place the blame on the few conservatives who are trying to right this wrong, if only belatedly.

It's really sad the way Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly, Beck, Ingraham, Pirro, Carlson, etc have radicalized the GOP base and gotten them to turn into such angry snowflakes always playing victim.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It's like setting a house on fire and then well I tried to hook up a garden hose and spray it down after.

He had lots of help setting that fire. Not least of which has been conservative media over the years. I'm inclined to accept an apology at face value from those who give it and take steps to rectify it. The vast majority of conservatives have not repented and never will.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
No they are Republicans who don't support Trumpism. That's it.
While it is quite rare, there are politicians that basically still believe in the Constitution, ethics, right and wrong, and some of them are republicans with conservative views, just not the misogynistic, and racist views of the current republican administration.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I didn't ignore conservative media.

In case you weren't aware, the people in The Lincoln Project WERE IN THE CONSERVATIVE MEDIA AND ARE IN THE MEDIA RIGHT NOW.

Hello?

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I was unsure about supporting the Lincold Project myself. But if the Dems refuse to man up and start hitting the GOP hard it really shows volumes about which party has the sack and the will to really win. Not all of us Dems or independents are sweethearts, some of us realize to dig out the enemy you have to get down in the trenches and root them out rather than standing above them with a megaphone hollering like a good guy. I would be happy if Biden had a little more sack and started putting out ads like they do.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I was unsure about supporting the Lincold Project myself. But if the Dems refuse to man up and start hitting the GOP hard it really shows volumes about which party has the sack and the will to really win. Not all of us Dems or independents are sweethearts, some of us realize to dig out the enemy you have to get down in the trenches and root them out rather than standing above them with a megaphone hollering like a good guy. I would be happy if Biden had a little more sack and started putting out ads like they do.

So what? Biden is winning & I can't imagine how Trump can turn that around. He's failed us spectacularly & there's no getting around it.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I didn't ignore conservative media.

In case you weren't aware, the people in The Lincoln Project WERE IN THE CONSERVATIVE MEDIA AND ARE IN THE MEDIA RIGHT NOW.

Hello?

I missed where any such people were the equivalent of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingahram, Tucker Carlson or Jeanine Piro.

I didn't read your post wrong. You essentially blamed this handful of conservatives for a massive problem and you didn't mention conservative media at all. You are exaggerating their roles and, by implication, minimizing the roles of others, in order to make your thread specific point.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I missed where any such people were the equivalent of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingahram, Tucker Carlson or Jeanine Piro.

I didn't read your post wrong. You essentially blamed this handful of conservatives for a massive problem and you didn't mention conservative media at all. You are exaggerating their roles and, by implication, minimizing the roles of others, in order to make your thread specific point.
Yes, you're right. It's called limiting the scope of my comment.

I read the title of this thread. It isn't about Fox, Limbaugh, etc. It's about, well, the Lincoln Project.

If you want to continue supporting the heroes at the Lincoln Project after they're done doing what they're doing now, feel free to do so. I won't, because I'm not naive to who these people were and still are.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yes, you're right. It's called limiting the scope of my comment.

I read the title of this thread. It isn't about Fox, Limbaugh, etc. It's about, well, the Lincoln Project.

If you want to continue supporting the heroes at the Lincoln Project after they're done doing what they're doing now, feel free to do so. I won't, because I'm not naive to who these people were and still are.

Oh, you're naive alright. Naive to think it's important to attack LP for being conservatives right in the middle of an election season where the country is not only facing an incompetently handled pandemic, but worse by far, the possible extinction of democracy should Trump retain power.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
So what? Biden is winning & I can't imagine how Trump can turn that around. He's failed us spectacularly & there's no getting around it.
he's going to cheat.

what do you get when you add these 3 together?
- all those absentee ballots
- his hand picked postmaster general that he installed this year
- noone on the US Postal Service's oversight board/Board of Governor's has more than 2 years experience with the postal service. all those on the board with decades of experience are gone this year :eek:

Last edited:

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Oh, you're naive alright. Naive to think it's important to attack LP for being conservatives right in the middle of an election season where the country is not only facing an incompetently handled pandemic, but worse by far, the possible extinction of democracy should Trump retain power.
Wow.

Get a fucking grip.

This thread is about The Lincoln Project, not Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, The Fariness Doctrine, etc.

I also didn't mention the fucking Powell Memo.

I'm calling the people behind the Lincoln Project what they are: the very people who created the modern Republican party. The Republicans who would be cheering on Marco Rubio using the same policies as Trump, if Rubio was President, because Rubio didn't usurp their control of the inner working of the Republican party.

If Marco Rubio was President, your heroes in the Lincoln Project would be putting out the same "brilliant" advertisements against Biden, right now. Not because they give a fuck about Trump's policies, but because they got cut the fuck out of the levers of power in the Republican party. They aren't friends or allies, they are temporary political assets, at best.

This is what I said at the very end.

...If the Lincoln Project can get a few of the semi-sane Republicans to not vote for Trump, then fine, but they will go right back to actively destroying this country the minute they can control how the destruction of the country is directed from the top.

Again, if you think the Lincoln Project REPUBLICANS who were FINE with the Republican party until Donald Trump usurped their control are heroes, then loudly proclaim it. Support them with your money. Tell your friends about how they're going to save America.

But don't try this "you didn't talk about the Fairness Doctrine or OANN" when the topic is: Who is the Lincoln Project, and Should Democrats Trust them?

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
he's going to cheat.

what do you get when you add these 3 together?
- all those absentee ballots
- his hand picked postmaster general that he installed this year
- noone on the US Postal Service's board of Governor's has more than 2 years experience with the postal service. all those on the board with decades of experience are gone this year :eek:

don't forget about Putin, who has been in contact with Trump over half a dozen times since March.