The light that shines the longest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Hell Yes. Bread lines are awesome !!!!

I doubt he wants Communism, Matt. He is just pointing out that American leaders in pretty much every field have lost their way and reminding everyone of what is waiting for us if we continue to allow it.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I doubt he wants Communism, Matt. He is just pointing out that American leaders in pretty much every field have lost their way and reminding everyone of what is waiting for us if we continue to allow it.

If that is true then my apologies.

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
There is no conspiracy with the possibly exception of a few illegal cartels here and there. The fact that some products are made cheaply with a relatively short lifespan is mostly driven by consumers' shortsightedness and preference for lower prices today at the expense of longevity and quality. I would also dispute the idea that quality and longevity have gotten worse across the board. Lot of things have stayed the same or gotten better.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
There is no conspiracy with the possibly exception of a few illegal cartels here and there. The fact that some products are made cheaply with a relatively short lifespan is mostly driven by consumers' shortsightedness and preference for lower prices today at the expense of longevity and quality. I would also dispute the idea that quality and longevity have gotten worse across the board. Lot of things have stayed the same or gotten better.

Also, as I have said before, a disproportionately larger amount of people in this country cannot afford to buy anything but the cheapest stuff these days. While many of us would like to buy a very well built USAtech (example) HDTV, we just cannot afford it.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

You have apparently not been involved in the building or design of a product.

I used to design and build modems at Hayes Modems in the 1990's.

Part of the design process is the planned death of parts.

If you look on any computer part you will see MTBR

Mean Time Before Repair

Most of the time it is not "repairable".

All products have a built in IMF timer

Just like in Mission Impossible - this will self destruct in 5 seconds.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
You have apparently not been involved in the building or design of a product.

I used to design and build modems at Hayes Modems in the 1990's.

Part of the design process is the planned death of parts.

If you look on any computer part you will see MTBR

Mean Time Before Repair

Most of the time it is not "repairable".

All products have a built in IMF timer

Just like in Mission Impossible - this will self destruct in 5 seconds.

I remember when the Detroit automakers got together and started their "planned obsolescence" program, and how the Japanese automakers exploited that by making reliable, longer lasting cars and trucks at a cheaper price and took a big chunk of the American automakers market share doing it.

When will we ever learn.

Baptismbyfire

Oct 7, 2010
It's ridiculous how manufacturers all over the world are making less durable products that have to be replaced every few years or so. For some of the products, there is a shortage of extra parts after a few years, and so you are forced to buy a whole new product.

I know companies are out to maximize their profit, but their business practice is getting out of hand at a time when mankind is running low on resources and there aren't enough landfills to hold all the trash that we produce each day.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
It's ridiculous how manufacturers all over the world are making less durable products that have to be replaced every few years or so. For some of the products, there is a shortage of extra parts after a few years, and so you are forced to buy a whole new product.

I know companies are out to maximize their profit, but their business practice is getting out of hand at a time when mankind is running low on resources and there aren't enough landfills to hold all the trash that we produce each day.

It is called research. I drive a 2001 Honda Civic. I mow my lawn with a Briggs and Stratton mower that I bought 9 years ago (starting to die this summer though). My wife cuts my hair with made in the US Wahl clippers that are probably almost a decade old. my HE washer and dryer are 6 years old and going strong. My goal is to get at least a decade of use out of them.

Crap goods come from crappy companies trying to squeeze a little more profit out of a sale. There are plenty of resources to research products and companies before you make purchases...especially higher dollar one.

Status
Not open for further replies.