"The Less Fortunate"

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000

Before dealing with this &quot;less fortunate&quot; nonsense spouted by Colin Powell, a few words about Clinton's volunteer summit in Philadelphia.
In the 1950's the average American family saw about 5% of thier family income go to the federal government in income taxes. Today that figure is over 40%. For high achievers (note I don't use the &quot;fortunate&quot; word) that figure is closer to 50%. Some people go to work at 8:00 in the morning and don't hit a lick for themselves until after lunch. The average American family spends more for taxes than it does for food, shelter and clothing combined!
Now we have Bill Clinton, Colin Campbell, George Bush and others telling us that we aren't fulfilling our responsibilities as citizens unless we volunteer! In other words, we owe more!
The only thing that is required of a &quot;responsible citizen&quot; is that they take care of themselves and their family, and that they obey the law. Our lives belong to US! Not to the government! It is not the place of the government to tell us that we owe parts of our lives to others ... others whom Colin Powell call &quot;the less fortuante!&quot;
You hear it almost every day!
On television newscasts, in newspaper editorials, and out of the mouths of politicians ... constant references to &quot;the less fortunate.&quot;
I ask you to consider just what the use of this phrase implies!
Colin Powell said that those who are fortunate should help those who are less fortunate. To really understand what is being said here we should start with a definition of the word &quot;fortunate&quot;
Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language describes &quot;fortunate&quot; as &quot;receiving good from unexpected sources.&quot; Now, apply this definition to the people to whom Colin Powell was referring.
If you have studied hard, worked hard, delayed gratification, saved, planned, invested and made every effort to use your decision-making powers wisely you are probably in fairly good shape right now. You have a good job, a decent income, a nice home, an investment program and a retirement plan. You believe you got here through hard work and good living. Colin Powell and the others that use the &quot;fortunate/less-fortunate&quot; phrase tell you that you are &quot;fortunate&quot; and that your good job and comfortable lifestyle are goods derived from &quot;unexpected sources.&quot;
There is nothing &quot;unexpected&quot; about good flowing from the attributes of hard work, good decision making and clean living. This is EXACTLY what you would expect. When you are told you are there because of good fortunate ... that you were lucky ...you should feel insulted.
We are also being told that those people who did not pay attention in school, who did not study, who got pregnant with children they could not afford to raise, who developed no marketable job skills, and who have a long history of hideous decision making are &quot;less fortunate.&quot; In other words, their condition is totally unexpected. There is nothing unexpected about a life of misery and material want from poor decision making and irresponsibility. These people aren't the &quot;less fortunate.&quot; They are the &quot;more irresponsible.&quot;
There is a solid reason why the leftist big-government types like to use the fortunate/less-fortunate descriptions. It assists them in their efforts to build government through income redistribution. First you need to convince people that the wealthy enjoy their status in life primarily through good luck (fortune). Then convince people that the poor are living in their misery because of bad luck. Once this becomes the conventional wisdom then it is easier to promote income redistribution. After all, all you're trying to do is even out the odds a bit.
This fortunate/less-fortunate scam reached a new height two years ago when Presidential contender and House Minority Honcho Richard Gephardt referred to the high achievers in America as those who &quot;won life's lottery.&quot; What an insult! You bust your royal butt for years on end to achieve success, and this politician comes along and tells you that you achieved all of this through the luck of the draw.
If you think that you have what you have because you were lucky, then maybe you deserve to have the government take it from you. Those who recognize the hard work that went into their success might feel differently.
Neal Boortz
Back to Boortz!

Ulfwald

May 27, 2000
ttt,k Come on folks i am in the mood for a good MATURE debate today, I have my FLAME SUIT on, but no name calling.

can't ya'll tell by my posts that I am feeling just a little 'ornery this morning?

Frenchie

Oct 22, 1999
Hey, you forgot to reference: &quot;It is not what your Country can do for you...&quot;

Ulfwald

May 27, 2000
TTT com on folks, It's election time, 'sup with you peeps

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
some of us actually have &quot;exams&quot; and have to do something called &quot;studying&quot;

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Ok I'll bite
Linving in an Industrialized country we live in a countries where we consume 90% of the worlds energy and resources and have 90% of the worlds wealth. We also have the longest life expectancies and best infant mortality rates through medicine, we make up 10% OF THE WORLDS POPULATION.
If that doesn't cast us into the the &quot;fortunate&quot; category I don't know what does, maybe you need to look across the street instead of your own backyard?
People in the 50's also used to expect a house and car to be happy nowadays people aren't happy if they dont have giant TVs and trips to Mexico every winter. Also people int he 50's didn't live under the huge cloud of debt modern people do they bought it when thye could afford it.
Conclusion
Quit feeling sorry for yourself you live better than people did in the 50s and longer and still better than most of the worlds population.
You are fortunate so give a little.

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yea, taxes really blow. I took a look at my paystub and noticed that 32.5% comes right off the top for taxes. After that I still have to pay sales tax (5% here in Taxichusetts), gas tax, tax on my telephone, tax on my cellphone, various fees (renew driver's license, plates), then tack on tolls for rutted highway. Yes I know everything I pay for is suppose to come back in the form of goverment services but why of the roads still sh!tty? Why are the streets still dirty? Why do I have to wait 3 hours in line to get that service? Why does it take 20 minutes for an ambulance to show up (it turn out to be private so the poor lady still had to pay $800 for the honor of getting hit by a car)? Why do I see cops sitting around picking their asses?

I guess the i'm &quot;anti-fortunate&quot;.

Windogg

Ulfwald

May 27, 2000
Red, you are either real ggod at playing devil's advocate, or you have a lot of anger.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
As bad as taxes are in the US in other industrialized nations they can be even worse ya know :(

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
RED-

<< bada bing bada bang>>

You are using this phrase WAY TOO much lately. Watching reruns of &quot;The Sopranos&quot;?

Come on, I DEPEND on you for my daily laugh. Tells you how desolate my life is, huh?

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
ufwald/red dawn: I agree with you almost 100%. Deer rifles are better, you can hit them from a block away. :)

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999

<< Red, you are either real ggod at playing devil's advocate, or you have a lot of anger. >>

No ulfwald, Red is just a lowly (and self described) troll trying to stir up trouble that is best ignored as even he himself stated his posts are nothing more than BS.

It was fun for a day or two, now he's just boring (except to the kiddies of course).

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Corn

You've got a whole 42 posts to your name. If you're not careful, they're gonna find pieces of you in Red's crap.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999

<< You've got a whole 42 posts to your name. If you're not careful, they're gonna find pieces of you in Red's crap. >>

I've got 42 posts here Bober, I'm not too concerned with how I'll be &quot;treated&quot; by Red. While Red my have a knack for insults, those that actually think are unimpressed. [needless insult removed]Destroying thread after thread with for no other reason than his own amusement is reason enough to deserve the &quot;troll&quot; label. I doubt even Red himself would disagree.

Also take a peek at the date in which I registered here (that should tell you something). Flamewars are a good thing when people are serious about their positions and believe in their arguments--too bad Red doesn't fall into that catagory.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
While Red delights in flaming others (and often delights others who enjoy watching the festivities) he does have many worthwhile things to say. To write him off as a troll is short-sighted.

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Red Dawn has been an institution here long before you came and he'll be one long after you're gone. Despite what you think Corn, learn to read between the line and Red's comment will make a whole lot more sense. Lurk a while longer and you'll understand. He is a respected member here and his tech knowledge is top notch.

Windogg

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999

<< Yeah, like anybody ever clicks on a thread to see what you have posted. >>

Unlike you, I'm not here to impress the kiddies Red. I sincerely hope you are not that vain.

<< I'm not even going to bother fighting with you because the fact that you and those as simple minded as you are bothered is good enough for me >>

LOL, sorry Red, you don't &quot;bother&quot; me, instead I would rather not be &quot;bothered&quot; by arguing with someone that debates purely on opinion's when that person is either unwilling or unable to back up that opinion something resembling a fact. Case in point:

Our recent debate concerning your opinion that Gore has more experience in brokering peace. I asked you for a specific example of what &quot;peace&quot; Gore brokered personally or even played a small hand in. You give a simplistic answer then whine about me &quot;making up the rules&quot; when pressed on the issue. You'll notice I didn't respond to your last reply to me in that thread as that very reply made my point quite clearly--you didn't have any facts to back up your &quot;opinion&quot; and admitted for all to see. I would never begrudge someone for an opinion, but if you are going to claim that &quot;opinion&quot; as &quot;fact&quot; don't whine when pressed for an example. That is &quot;simple minded&quot; behavior at it's finest Red, deny it all you want here on the forum, but you know it's true.

<< Now if you are so smart,intelligent and cool, post something of interest. >>

Maybe I will Red--you certainly haven't given me a reason to do so yet.

<< I'm tired of having to be creative to make up for the fact that guys like you who insist they be heard are so drool and humorless. >>

I insist nothing Red, you are the party involved in trolling for responses as you've already admitted in this very thread. I'm merely calling 'em as I sees 'em.

<< Mind you, I don't expect much from you except comdenation and self righteousness because frankly, I believe that'a all you have to bring to the table. >>

What else do you expect when you debate opinions which you are unable to back up with facts? Here is the typical Red Dawn debate style:

He'll be obnoxious (then whine about other people being obnoxious later on)--use emotionally charged rhetoric (of course without bringing any real facts)--insult anyone that disagrees--proclaims himself the neighborhood brainiac--rattles off some more insults. I'm sorry, who were you claiming as self-righteous again?

<< It is slightly amusing that you think you are better than anyone here but I guess being part of the Cyber world enables you to live out your little fantasy's >>

I never said I was Red (maybe I just don't like trolls), keep in mind that you are not everyone here[edited for clairty]. I never said or implied that I am above anyone--don't confuse being smacked for your own hypocracy with my own superiority complex. ;)

Futuramatic

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
Windogg - You can't do anything without getting taxed for it. Can't drive, can't eat, can't sleep, can't work, can't purchase, can't DIE!!

desy - it is not a matter of giving a little. I wouldn't mind giving more if governments didn't take over a third of what I get. What the liberals call volunteerism, most people call taxation.

Skoorb - So why not raise taxes? I mean geez, we shouldn't be allowed to be more fortunate than anyone else! Heaven forbid!