The left's despicable rule: Criticisms of Obama are racist

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Well you technically didn't reply directly to his post, you didn't address the majority of what he says and the one thing he already covered in his post "Racism seems to come up in relation to birthirism and the "Obama is a Muslim" thing. Since not many conservatives on this board seem to believe those things, it doesn't come up so often here" is the basis of your response. So I haven't actually seen anyone address his post, unless you are still working on that...

Technically you're right, I had meant to, but ended up just posting my response in the thread. In the 3 or 4 minutes I looked over old threads I found the one I linked. The one I linked had the "dog whistle" racist meme by 2 of the posters.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Slow internet and bumpy roads aren't our problem.

Coming back to this, I think you're completely wrong here. Business right now that's actually about products needs internet for sales and needs roads for delivery.

Government investing in these core pieces of infrastructure would help a lot of small businesses get a foothold in the market.

EDIT: I want to add a thanks to you, buckshot, for talking about issues and being reasonable and respectful while doing so. Thanks, man.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Coming back to this, I think you're completely wrong here. Business right now that's actually about products needs internet for sales and needs roads for delivery.
The other option is not 1860 level roads and communications. We have pretty widespread internet access already and the roads we already have work well enough to get the job done. I'm with you though, better roads are better :p and faster internet more widely available would be a good thing. We already have good enough internet access where the vast majority has access to decent speed internet.

Smoother roads aren't going to significantly create access where it isn't already available.
Government investing in these core pieces of infrastructure would help a lot of small businesses get a foothold in the market.
Then they would have to deal with higher taxes, more regulation, more health insurance requirements, higher gas prices, higher food prices, more IRS involvement in their lives.
EDIT: I want to add a thanks to you, buckshot, for talking about issues and being reasonable and respectful while doing so. Thanks, man.
Don't give me too much credit, just because you are a putz doesn't make me right. :p (that was a joke if it isn't clear)

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
The other option is not 1860 level roads and communications. We have pretty widespread internet access already and the roads we already have work well enough to get the job done. I'm with you though, better roads are better :p and faster internet more widely available would be a good thing. We already have good enough internet access where the vast majority has access to decent speed internet.

Smoother roads aren't going to significantly create access where it isn't already available.

Then they would have to deal with higher taxes, more regulation, more health insurance requirements, higher gas prices, higher food prices, more IRS involvement in their lives.

Don't give me too much credit, just because you are a putz doesn't make me right. :p (that was a joke if it isn't clear)

As I understand it, our internet access and speed is laughable compared to other first-world nations and we overpay for the privilege. So your "good enough" is my "weaksauce".

And internet and roads do create access to the market. Folks in rural areas suddenly have a chance to push products and ideas into the market when they have the basic infrastructure reaching their homes.

Let's have smarter regulations, taxation, and energy policy.

You and me. Let's work this out! :)

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
As I understand it, our internet access and speed is laughable compared to other first-world nations and we overpay for the privilege. So your "good enough" is my "weaksauce".

And internet and roads do create access to the market. Folks in rural areas suddenly have a chance to push products and ideas into the market when they have the basic infrastructure reaching their homes.

Let's have smarter regulations, taxation, and energy policy.

You and me. Let's work this out! :)
I just think you are overstating the effect of better internet is all. Building fat pipes out in po dunk areas to serve 20 people probably isn't a good way to spend money. I wish internet was better, I work on the internet all day but I just don't see it spurring economic growth because most people can get on fairly fast internet as it is.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
Here's a thread, it just isn't my own confirmation bias.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2273261

a Garfield post and an Uber post, on the first page. It's possible you agree that using Obama's middle name is racist although it wasn't with "W"

Just a couple things to point out:
1) The first cry of racism by using the middle name is a completely separate issue, and you even know this else you wouldn't have brought it up. airdata did it also, but neither one was actually attacking the person who made the criticism of Obama (they were attacking the OP). There is ONE person just simply crying that the person criticizing Obama is racist that fits into the mold you're trying to cast on the 'left'.
2) Objections to the criticisms of Obama where there were not cries of racism came from HomerJS, OrByte, DaveSimmons, Ldir, dawp and Moonbeam. Then the thread devolved into talking about point 1).

If you are going to call something a rule, I would hope you would be able to at least cherry pick something better than that thread to show as a rule. Calling something that's relatively uncommon as a rule is simply misrepresentation.

Would you agree with the characterization that the right's despicable rule is that they advocate violence towards their opponents? Would you accept some thread where Spidey has posted as proof of the rule?

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Technically you're right, I had meant to, but ended up just posting my response in the thread. In the 3 or 4 minutes I looked over old threads I found the one I linked. The one I linked had the "dog whistle" racist meme by 2 of the posters.

Still waiting for you to explain how people that call every other president (and presidential candidate) only by their popular name, and then pointedly use Obama's middle name is not some sort of dog whistle attack based on his race and/or alleged religion.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
This is typical leftist tactics, cry racism when the dear leader is attacked

you remind me of the old pic of the little boy with a pointy white hat on in the backseat of a car that had a sign on its side which read...

"southern whites are the negroes’ best friends...but no integration."

oh the irony of racists crying out racism.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Just a couple things to point out:
1) The first cry of racism by using the middle name is a completely separate issue, and you even know this else you wouldn't have brought it up. airdata did it also, but neither one was actually attacking the person who made the criticism of Obama (they were attacking the OP). There is ONE person just simply crying that the person criticizing Obama is racist that fits into the mold you're trying to cast on the 'left'.
2) Objections to the criticisms of Obama where there were not cries of racism came from HomerJS, OrByte, DaveSimmons, Ldir, dawp and Moonbeam. Then the thread devolved into talking about point 1).

If you are going to call something a rule, I would hope you would be able to at least cherry pick something better than that thread to show as a rule. Calling something that's relatively uncommon as a rule is simply misrepresentation.

Would you agree with the characterization that the right's despicable rule is that they advocate violence towards their opponents? Would you accept some thread where Spidey has posted as proof of the rule?

You seem to think that I made up the title of the OP, it isn't my rule. Did you even read the article?

Apr 27, 2012
you remind me of the old pic of the little boy with a pointy white hat on in the backseat of a car that had a sign on its side which read...

"southern whites are the negroes’ best friends...but no integration."

oh the irony of racists crying out racism.

I am not a racist though, Yes I dont like obama but because of his policies

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I am not a racist though, Yes I dont like obama but because of his policies
paciugo_gelato.jpg

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
You seem to think that I made up the title of the OP, it isn't my rule. Did you even read the article?

I didn't say it was specifically you, but considering you posted the article and also posted this:

We see it all the time in these forums, no surprise.

and this:

You don't like Obama? You think his administration is one of the most inept, crooked and full of cover-ups you've ever seen? You think his economic policy sucks balls? You must be a racist.

I think it's fair to hold you up to the same standard, since you used the phrases 'all the time' and 'you must be'. Those are not phrases used when referencing something that is relatively uncommon.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I didn't say it was specifically you, but considering you posted the article and also posted this:
and this:
I think it's fair to hold you up to the same standard, since you used the phrases 'all the time' and 'you must be'. Those are not phrases used when referencing something that is relatively uncommon.

Do you deny that we haven't seen those things in this forum or is your main problem with the frequency I stated?

Are your denying that the Obama administration hasn't had cover-ups?
I can see where you may not agree that his economic policy sucks balls since that's an inexact reference.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Do you deny that we haven't seen those things in this forum or is your main problem with the frequency I stated?

I can see where you may not agree that his economic policy sucks balls since that's an inexact reference.

So just what is your reasoning when people only use a person's full name when referring to Obama? And never use anyone else's full name? You know, like Palin, Romney, Paul, Ryan, McCain, etc.......

You are the one claiming it isn't racist, so where is your proof?

Apr 27, 2012
So just what is your reasoning when people only use a person's full name when referring to Obama? And never use anyone else's full name? You know, like Palin, Romney, Paul, Ryan, McCain, etc.......

You are the one claiming it isn't racist, so where is your proof?

obama has supported the mb and pandered to Muslim extremists, people are going to be suspicious about him

Feb 10, 2000

Last night I bought this stuff - very tasty!

DSC_1645.JPG