The left and right agree: Fox News destroyed Trump EPA chief Scott Pruitt over climate change

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-over-climate-change/?utm_term=.0a47daa72960

Any expectation that Scott Pruitt, the new head of the Environmental Protection Agency, would be able to cruise through an appearance on “Fox News Sunday” over the weekend was dashed within about 10 seconds of the interview.

“Good morning, Chris, how are you?” Pruitt asked host Chris Wallace.

That would be the softest question raised in the entire segment.

“Good,” Wallace replied quickly. And then, in the same breath, Wallace began grilling Pruitt about an executive order President Trump signed last week to dismantle President Barack Obama's Clean Power Plan, which had required states to cut down on overall emissions and sought to limit carbon emissions from power plants.

Wallace noted that the EPA, under Obama's administration, had set a number of health milestones attainable by 2030 — if the Clean Power Plan were implemented. Those included 90,000 fewer asthma attacks, 300,000 fewer missed work and school days, and 3,600 fewer premature deaths per year.

“Without the Clear Power Plan, how are you going to prevent those terrible things?” Wallace asked Pruitt.

Pruitt argued that Trump was “keeping a promise to the American people to roll back regulatory overreach.” He also noted that the Clean Power Plan was subject to a stay by the Supreme Court; he did not mention that he, as former Oklahoma attorney general, was one of several Republicans who had originally filed the lawsuit against Obama's regulations.

Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt addressed the Conservative Political Action Conference on Feb. 25 in Oxon Hill, Md. (The Washington Post)
“The president's keeping his promise to deal with that overreach, Chris,” Pruitt said. “It doesn't mean that clean air and clear water is not going to be the focus in the future. We're just going to do it right within the consistency of the framework that Congress has passed.”

Wallace was not having it.

“But sir, you're giving me a regulatory answer, a political answer,” Wallace said. “You're not giving a health answer.”

The “Fox News Sunday” host repeated the statistics he had cited earlier, adding that half of all Americans live in counties with unhealthy air, according to the American Lung Association.

“You're talking about regulatory overreach,” Wallace pressed. “But the question is, there are 166 million people living in unclean air, and you're going to remove some of the pollution restrictions, which would make the air even worse.”

Pruitt did not address that question directly, instead asserting that the country's air quality was not as bad as it had been in the past, and that the United States was now “actually pre-1994 levels with respect to our CO2 footprint.”

The back and forth continued. Pruitt's performance on the Sunday show earned the rare distinction of being panned by both climate change advocates and skeptics alike.

“New EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt embarrassed himself repeatedly on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace, who kept Pruitt on the hot seat for 14 minutes as he pressed to get past Pruitt’s paper-thin talking points,” Jeremy Symons of the nonprofit Environmental Defense Fund wrote for the Huffington Post.

President Trump signed an executive order on March 28, to obliterate former president Barack Obama's environmental record. The order will instruct federal regulators to rewrite Clean Power Plan rules that curb U.S. carbon emissions, as well as halt other environmental regulations. (Jenny Starrs/The Washington Post)
Symons went on to fact-check Pruitt's statistics, noting that while the CO2 reductions he cited were accurate, they mostly occurred during the Obama administration as a result of the former president's clean-energy plans.

“It's one thing to dodge the question, but it's especially weak to hide behind the success of Obama's initiative to justify erasing it all,” Symons wrote. “Pruitt’s attempting a complicated trick here — not only trying to sell a bottle of snake oil, but breaking the bottle during the pitch.”

Pruitt received an equally dismal review on Breitbart, which called Trump's new EPA chief out for having “sweated, stuttered, and floundered” through what ultimately was “an entirely needless concession to the enemy.”

“I just watched Scott Pruitt, head of the Environmental Protection Agency, get eaten alive by Fox News Sunday anchor Chris Wallace,” columnist James Delingpole penned on the right-wing site. “Not only was it an ugly and painful sight but it was also a very dispiriting one.”

Delingpole's argument, however, was that Pruitt did a disservice by not being more assured in defending climate-change skeptics.

“Not only should he have known the most effective answers to give; but he should have been so confident in the rightness and truth of his cause that he should have been able to seize the moment and make the points that really need to be made about President Trump’s environmental policy,” Delingpole wrote. He added that the policy “is being enacted for the good of science, for the good of the economy and the core mission of Making America Great Again.”

At one point, Wallace replayed a March 9 clip of an interview Pruitt gave on CNBC, in which Pruitt denied carbon dioxide was a primary contributor to global warming.

Wallace then pulled up on the Fox News screen a number of reports that contradicted Pruitt, including one from the United Nations panel on climate change that said it is 95 percent likely that more than half the temperature increase since the mid-20th century is due to human activities. Another from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said there is more carbon dioxide now than in the last 400,000 years, and that 2015 and 2016 are the two hottest years in record.

“Mr. Pruitt, are we supposed to believe that that's all a coincidence?” Wallace asked.

Pruitt acknowledged that “there's a warming trend, that climate is changing and human activity contributes to that change in some measure,” before pivoting to another regulatory response.

“But sir, you're kind of sugarcoating what you said,” Wallace said. “The question I have is: What if you're wrong? What if in fact the earth is warming? Simple question. What if you're wrong?”

Pruitt has been a controversial choice to head the EPA since he was nominated by Trump last December. The two share a view that Obama's restrictions on the fossil-fuel industry were an unnecessary burden on business growth.

Hundreds of former and current EPA employees protested Pruitt's nomination, urging the Senate to reject his confirmation in February.

“Our perspective is not partisan,” the group wrote in a letter signed by 447 people. “However, every EPA administrator has a fundamental obligation to act in the public’s interest based on current law and the best available science. Mr. Pruitt’s record raises serious questions about whose interests he has served to date and whether he agrees with the long-standing tenets of U.S. environmental law.”

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Chris Wallace is the smartest guy at FoxNews without question.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Well, yeh, but Donald says climate change is a hoax invented by the Chinese. He just *knows*, the same way he knows Obama tapped his phone.

Health concerns? Probably trumped up by the Chinese, too.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Well, yeh, but Donald says climate change is a hoax invented by the Chinese. He just *knows*, the same way he knows Obama tapped his phone.

Health concerns? Probably trumped up by the Chinese, too.

Acid rain is really a way to get clean without having to bother with soap. Its also like a chemical peel it will keep you skin young and vibrant.

Feb 16, 2005
he only hires the best and the brightest. goddammit, I was rightly worried about the environment, I really hope I was wrong about what I think that fucking oompa loompa in the white house is going to do with education.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
It appears to me that Trump's main agenda is eradicating any and everything Obama did across his tenure. That he doesn't actually give a fuck about his job's responsibilities, just reversing all Obama initiated. Trump has a sick fixation on Obama. He spread the birther lie and now his latest conspiracy with the wire tapping. Many of his initiatives since taking office have been to reverse any and everything Obama touched.

Trump has really serious psychological issues. The climate thing is just one example where it really highlights it. Reversing policies to protect the environment and going into alternate reality land denying science to do so. It has nothing to do with the climate, just more of him trying to stick his thumb in Obama's eye. The man is sick.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The great part is that Breitbart can't even really challenge the facts here -- it's just a loss to the "enemy," as if US politics were supposed to be about scoring points and not doing what's right for the public.

And of course, this interview was on Fox. Fox. If Pruitt can't spew his lies unchallenged there, they certainly won't find traction elsewhere.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
It appears to me that Trump's main agenda is eradicating any and everything Obama did across his tenure. That he doesn't actually give a fuck about his job's responsibilities, just reversing all Obama initiated. Trump has a sick fixation on Obama. He spread the birther lie and now his latest conspiracy with the wire tapping. Many of his initiatives since taking office have been to reverse any and everything Obama touched.

Trump has really serious psychological issues. The climate thing is just one example where it really highlights it. Reversing policies to protect the environment and going into alternate reality land denying science to do so. It has nothing to do with the climate, just more of him trying to stick his thumb in Obama's eye. The man is sick.

I tend to agree, particularly on the Obama fixation. There is clearly a lot more here than just the usual desire to undo the previous admins decisions. It blends well with the desires of the science deniers around him. I don't think Trump really cares much one way of the other really. Science is just one more topic he knows nothing about, and he isn't particularly motivated to change that. As long as he can throw some shade towards the black guy, he's in.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it - we cannot impeach this guy fast enough. We cannot have a mentally ill CiC. Really hope he can keep it together with Xi. The Merkel meeting doesn't give me hope. His ignorance on basic information, as well as contempt for allies and diplomatic norms, is nothing short of stunning.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The great part is that Breitbart can't even really challenge the facts here -- it's just a loss to the "enemy," as if US politics were supposed to be about scoring points and not doing what's right for the public.

And of course, this interview was on Fox. Fox. If Pruitt can't spew his lies unchallenged there, they certainly won't find traction elsewhere.

It's heartening to see this in action, the losing of traction so to speak. Did you hear the news about Tesla passing Ford in market value yesterday?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's heartening to see this in action, the losing of traction so to speak. Did you hear the news about Tesla passing Ford in market value yesterday?

I did. Tesla isn't as profitable as Ford, but it's also in a heavy investment phase right now. To tie this back into the thread: I picture Pruitt frothing at the mouth knowing that all his efforts to prop up the oil industry might not matter much if the Model 3 takes off.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
If I had a Tesla I would be sorely temped to put a "Powered by Coal!" bumper sticker on it. :p

Reactions: Homerboy

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Its terrifying that this guy is head of the EPA. Its like putting cookie monster in charge of the school lunch program.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

They'll just move onto the Alt-Right pubs that put out "Is black genocide right" articles, the loyalists get their info from those anyway.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
My expectation is that the administration will show it's usual competence and flub whatever new rule they write to kill the CPP. They have to show plausible scientific evidence to set policy which will certainly be litigated extensively. It legally can't just be arbitrary which seems to be the direction they're going.

It's almost moot though since utilities aren't changing their plans. They have to make investments that will last decades, be economically prudent, and take into account trends in consumer demand/state RPS. Coal retirements will continue and new generation will consist of ng/renewables with the majority tilted to renewables for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Paratus

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
My expectation is that the administration will show it's usual competence and flub whatever new rule they write to kill the CPP. They have to show plausible scientific evidence to set policy which will certainly be litigated extensively. It legally can't just be arbitrary which seems to be the direction they're going.

It's almost moot though since utilities aren't changing their plans. They have to make investments that will last decades, be economically prudent, and take into account trends in consumer demand/state RPS. Coal retirements will continue and new generation will consist of ng/renewables with the majority tilted to renewables for the foreseeable future.
I know the legal bills this administration is going to be charging the taxpayers will be Yuge. I can see all kind of suits from every environmental protection group coming down the pike. Hopefully, they will be tied up in court until the 2018 mid terms.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I know the legal bills this administration is going to be charging the taxpayers will be Yuge. I can see all kind of suits from every environmental protection group coming down the pike. Hopefully, they will be tied up in court until the 2018 mid terms.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the govt. keep lawyers on the payroll, so to speak, so they're getting paid whether or not they're in court, etc.?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I did. Tesla isn't as profitable as Ford, but it's also in a heavy investment phase right now. To tie this back into the thread: I picture Pruitt frothing at the mouth knowing that all his efforts to prop up the oil industry might not matter much if the Model 3 takes off.

I know, that's what I specified market value. I took it as good news, not just for a company 'doing it all' domestically and being successful, but as a metric on changing views within the population regarding energy. The reactions this produces among regressive corporate servants like Pruitt brings a smile to my face as well. ;)

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

To combat the free market I predict the creation of a coal investment fund.
Think utilities will object to subsidies to break ground on 3-4 new coal plants by 2020?
President can burn money to "enrich" his political future.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the govt. keep lawyers on the payroll, so to speak, so they're getting paid whether or not they're in court, etc.?
Well, yes that is true, but they are going to have a heavy load trying to defend the indefensible (specifically the EOs) If Congress legislates in agreement with Trump EOs then there's not a lot that can be done. I suspect though, that congress is going to severely deflate the tires of trying to destroy the EPA by this admin. Hopefully, things can be stalled in the courts until the mid-terms.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
To combat the free market I predict the creation of a coal investment fund.
Think utilities will object to subsidies to break ground on 3-4 new coal plants by 2020?
President can burn money to "enrich" his political future.

It's possible but even that would do little to reverse coal's fortunes and it would cost billions, not to mention the trouble they'll have getting it through congress. A good number of red state GOPs would hate it since it would compete against their rapidly growing and increasingly lucrative wind industries.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It's possible but even that would do little to reverse coal's fortunes and it would cost billions, not to mention the trouble they'll have getting it through congress. A good number of red state GOPs would hate it since it would compete against their rapidly growing and increasingly lucrative wind industries.

This, I'm not sure that Coal as a whole has enough lobby power to fight against the other dozen energy provider lobbyists for the privilege of energy generation cost cuts.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
It's really, really scary how quickly and how drastically the Trump Administration is wiping out the last 40+ years of environmental improvement in the USA. I guess he wants USA to be the same polluted soup that China is. And it's not just coal-yesterday Pruitt reversed findings by EPA scientists in order to permit sales in the USA of a new Dow Chemical product.

Reactions: Pohemi and Thebobo