The latest Bush attack on our environment! An End of August sneak attack by the Bush administration!

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
The Bush administration, in the last week of August, snuck through nearly EVERY environment polluting measure on industry's wish list.

This article from KRT News Service was in my local paper, The Star Ledger, yesterday, Sunday September 7, 2003.

I would post a link but KRT News Service requires registration to access their links and the only way to register is through their sales department. The Star Ledger didn't have the link on their site probably because it's a KRT story but I'm going to type it out here because I feel it's very important for people to know about this latest Bush administration attack on our environment, done in the last week of August in an attempt to avoid any scrutiny.

I find these actions inconscienable. They are a further attack on our environment along with actions like the attmept to drill for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and the Bush administration's assertion they want the logging industry to cut down forests to prevent forest fires! These are only two examples of the myriad attempts to destroy our environment by the Bush administration. We can now add to the Bush attack on our environment, designed solely to fill the pockets of his corporate cronies, the actions done in the last days of August below. What a disgrace.

"Business likes the Bush environment"

Bush administration defends the easing of pollution regulations.
BY SETH BORENSTEIN
KRT NEWS SERVICE

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration eased a series of important environmental regulations in a quiet flurry of late-summer activity, delivering almost every rule change on corporate America's wish list.

In the past few weeks, the administration diluted federal rules governing air pollution from old coal-fired power plants, emissions that cause global warming, ballast water on ships contaminated with foreigh species of plants and animals, sales of land tainted with PCBs, drilling for oil and gas on federal land and scientific studies that underpin federal regulations.

In every case the business community got what it wanted,
and environmentalists got mad.

Administration supporters say the rule changes are in part attempts to eliminate unnecessary government edicts that curtail energy production, discourage investment, hinder the economy or cost jobs. Moreover, they say, not all rule changes have favored industry, although they acknowledge that most have.

Frank Maisano, an energy lobbyist at the Bracewell & Patterson law firm in Washington, pointed to new rules restricting diesel engines, issued last April. Those strong rules, praised by environmentalists, were enacted over the objections of the diesel-engine industry, Maisano said.

Nevertheless, Bill Kovacs, the vice president for environmental issues of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, said the business community won more environmental battles during the final week of August than it had during the entire eight years of the Clinton administration.

"We certainly had a number of victories this week; I don't think anyone can deny that," Kovacs said on the Friday before Labor Day.

He and two big-industry lobbyists said the Bush administration had delivered nearly every environmental regulatory change business put on its to-do list in January 2001. Their industries got every change they wanted, the lobbyists said.

"This administration is dismantling anything that's impairing industry or the private sector's ability to develp, use land or produce energy,"
said Carl Reidel, professor emeritus of environmental policy and law at the University of Vermont.

Experts say the timing of the changes wasn't accidental.

"They need to get this stuff out of the way before they get into an election year; they need to get enough below the radar," said political science professor Stephen Meyer, the director of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Project on Environmental Politics and Policy.

"The Bush administration always likes to announce unpopular environmental policies in the dead of political and press night. And you can't find a week when people are less likely to pay attention than the end of August," said Phil Clapp, the president of National Environmental Trust.

Lisa Harrison, the Environmental Protection Agency's chief spokeswoman, denied that the timing was politically motivated.

The decisions included:

• Two controversial changes in a rule governing expansion of old coal-fired power plants, dramatically easing the rules requiring companies to install new pollution controls when they make big upgrades.

Two legal opinions ruling that carbon dioxide, which most scientists say is the chief cause of global warming, isn't a pollutant that the EPA can cite to regulate emissions from cars and power plants. The rulings reverse a Clinton administration legal opinion that carbon dioxide is a pollutant.

An EPA legal opinion declaring that it won't regualte ships' ballast water under the Clean Water Act, turning the issue over to the Coast Guard. The ballast water contains billions of tiny fish, plants and other foreign invasive species that scientists say are major threats to native species in American waters.

VioletAura

Banned
Aug 28, 2003
He is intentionally allowing the environment to be destroyed to prevent another terror attack. You know you can't allow terrorist to breathe clean air and drink clean water, and all those trees give them a place to hide behind. All those birds, fish and squirrels are all potential suicide bombers, since their non-judeo-christian beliefs puts their loyalty in question, and they deserve to have their habitats destroyed and killed by toxic materials. Sacrifices must be made for national security.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: VioletAura
He is intentionally allowing the environment to be destroyed to prevent another terror attack. You know you can't allow terrorist to breathe clean air and drink clean water, and all those trees give them a place to hide behind. All those birds, fish and squirrels are all potential suicide bombers, since their non-judeo-christian beliefs puts their loyalty in question, and they deserve to have their habitats destroyed and killed by toxic materials. Sacrifices must be made for national security.

It puts me in mind of that song at the height of the cold war, "Let's drop the BIG one."

No use leaving anything in America those Iraqazoid terr'ists can use. This is for our own good. And while we're at it Bush's pals in big biz might as well rake in a few billion dollars more.

It's not like they're going to create any jobs with their increased profits. And we all are probably better off dropping dead from pollution rather than dying from starvation.

But seriously, Violet, I want to hear ANYONE defend the Bush administration on their cynical, assinine ATTACK on OUR ENVIRONMENT.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: VioletAura

:kicks squirrel: Grrrrrrrr :p

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Quit your Bush bashing already. We all know you are biased and predjudice against him.

Let me know when he sells nuclear secrets to China. Then we'll talk.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Quit your Bush bashing already. We all know you are biased and predjudice against him.

Not if there's no air to breath! ;)

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

And we all know Bush could drop a ton of toxic waste in your soup and you'd still defend him.

Telling the truth about the Bush administration isn't Bush bashing.

It's the truth about Bush itself that bashes Bush. But you are too blind to see that.

And take off he Clinton training wheels already.

Refute the Bush administration actions described in the article. Not some right wing imagined nonsense that isn't even relevant.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Yeah he cannot help being mentally-disabled.

He may have to in order to pay the bills.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

Gotta love them Bush apologists (that's a YABA to you, Cad). They just plug away with the same pathetic claims, even as their world disintegrates around them. Reminds me of the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. "No it's not, it's just a flesh wound."

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
The Bush administration, in the last week of August, snuck through nearly EVERY environment polluting measure on industry's wish list.

The polluting industry wants regluations? WTF