THE last time I shop at EB... UPDATED

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: TerryMathews
Originally posted by: BDawg

Besides not being told they'd run out, I understand EB's side. I called Atari, and they're glad to send me a replacment, but first I have to send them my discs back, and they don't pay for shipping.

I don't understand the whole situation with the UT2004SE. Atari swears they ran out of copies of UT2004Se, yet they've got replacement DVDs available? :confused:

Hell if I know. The CSR at Atari admitted they underestimated the demand of not wanting 6 CDs.

LinuxIdiot

Golden Member
May 20, 2002
How can you underestimate that :confused: I mean 2 dvds or 6 cds in sleeves.....not that hard of a choice now is it.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Well, let's not forget that the box also included a headset that was basically free since most places were selling the regular and SE for the same price.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
You should request the CD version (free of charge) until they can supply the SE version (which you're more than willing to pay for).

Anyway, I wish more people had the SE version because of the headset comms during gameplay.. works well.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Another Knoxville member. Just for curiositys sake, was this at East Towne or West Town? Sucks you didn't get it and I hope you get some resolution on this. I know I would be emailing everyone with a corporate EB email account my story every day until it was resolved properly. I would send them the entrie story each morning as I got to work.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71
You should request the CD version (free of charge) until they can supply the SE version (which you're more than willing to pay for).

Anyway, I wish more people had the SE version because of the headset comms during gameplay.. works well.

I actually tried that. I told them I pre-paid the game in February, I got it last week, and won't be able to play it for almost a month. They don't have a policy which allows that though. :p

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
This was at West Town. I actually met the manager of East Town the same day that I found out my copy was no longer available at West Town. Interestingly enough, that guy told me that if this had happened at his store that he would have gone out of his way to help me out.

I guess I thought I was going to get a positive resolution from the other location or I would have asked him to help me out. :)

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Update:

Spoke to Atari on Tuesday, they said they had copies of the DVD in stock and would exchange the product for an undamaged one. I sent out my DVDs on Wednesday, and they arrived in the NY office today.

This afternoon, I got a call from Atari stating they are out of the DVD will be shipping my game back to me. WTF...now, I not only don't get my game, but I had to pay to ship it for absolutely no f'n reason.

This game is the biggest cluster in history...I'll get Duke Nukem Forever before I get a DVD of UT2k4 SE.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Even better...called the number from Atari in CA to talk about my game. Was told that they don't have the DVD in stock and are not planning another run of it.

I asked about my shipping. She told me that they will not refund the shipping as I chose to send my game to them. ??? WTF?

I explained that I was informed at the time that the DVD was in stock and my decision was based on that piece of information. I was again told that they would not refund the shipping.

I was told that they would trade straight up my DVD for the 6 CDs, but I wouldn't get credited the difference in the prices. I declined at the time. At this time, I informed the lady that I would be registering a complaint via the BBB.

I called the number the BBB had registered for Atari, but no one was available as it was 4:55 in NYC. They suggested I call back Monday morning.

At this time, it seems I'll never get the DVD I paid for. What I want, but looks like I will never get is,

1. A refund of my shipping to Atari.
2. A copy of the 6 freaking CDs.
3. A refund of the difference in the CD and DVD versions.
4. The right to keep the extras from the DVD set.

I don't think this is too much to ask.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: TerryMathews

Besides not being told they'd run out, I understand EB's side. I called Atari, and they're glad to send me a replacment, but first I have to send them my discs back, and they don't pay for shipping.

I don't understand the whole situation with the UT2004SE. Atari swears they ran out of copies of UT2004Se, yet they've got replacement DVDs available? :confused:

SE != DVD.

The rest of the world has a single DVD edition available (non-SE version, it's just one DVD with all 6 CD's on it), so it's entirely possible they *should* have a DVD available, or they should be able to get one shipped to you, since there *should* be DVD's in press (if they're going out to the rest of the world, as an unlimited supply).

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
Even better...called the number from Atari in CA to talk about my game. Was told that they don't have the DVD in stock and are not planning another run of it.

I asked about my shipping. She told me that they will not refund the shipping as I chose to send my game to them. ??? WTF?

I explained that I was informed at the time that the DVD was in stock and my decision was based on that piece of information. I was again told that they would not refund the shipping.

I was told that they would trade straight up my DVD for the 6 CDs, but I wouldn't get credited the difference in the prices. I declined at the time. At this time, I informed the lady that I would be registering a complaint via the BBB.

I called the number the BBB had registered for Atari, but no one was available as it was 4:55 in NYC. They suggested I call back Monday morning.

At this time, it seems I'll never get the DVD I paid for. What I want, but looks like I will never get is,

You could always dispute it with your CC..."product not delivered as promised"

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: dquan97

You could always dispute it with your CC..."product not delivered as promised"

That's a good idea...we'll see how this progresses on Monday when I talk to Atari corporate and then EBGames.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That's a good idea...we'll see how this progresses on Monday when I talk to Atari corporate and then EBGames.

I can't imagine any EBGames would refuse swapping you the CD version for your defective DVD version, but I don't know what other resolution they could offer you...

Bigblades

Mar 17, 2004
I'd be willing to bet that that "missing copy" of the game that they got short-shipped is sitting on the desk of one of the employee's of that EB who didn't feel like pre-ordering.

I work at a LAN gaming center, I had to install UT2k4 42 times.. I really fuckin' wish we'd had the special edition! (though no DVD drives would make it tuff)