The Jussie Smollett Affair

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Cory and Kamala have a good "see look what we’ve done" piece of fluff though to help run on since they were the bills sponsors. I mean ok we have a new tool to go after those that lynch somebody, I don’t think anybody thinks thats bad. My issue is Cory and Kamala are fanning racial tensions for political gain. When was the last lynching? I’m sure whomever perpetrated it would get life if not the death penalty. This is nothing more than political fluff to fan racial tensions in an effort to energize the base, the same thing Trump is using his wall for.

That doesn't make any sense.

To create "tension" you would have to have some faction in support of lynching.

Most sensible people, black or white, are probably wondering why the hell it took so long.

Then one could read your post and say, "yeah... that's why"

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The only important social implications of this incident are that racist pieces of shit look forward to pointing at it as proof that racism doesn't exist.

That's it. Otherwise, it's about an actor that I've never heard of before claiming he was assaulted. If he faked it as a publicity stunt, then I hope he is prosecuted for that. If he didn't fake it, then I'd like to hope some of you would have the decency to apologize (but we know that won't happen).

I do admit to being somewhat appalled by the reactions of some people to this though. Not surprisingly, they're the same ones most likely to be freaked out and starting threads at any rumors of black-on-white violence. But white-on-black? Why that's always just a hoax, right? Never happened. Ever. And this proves it, right?

How do you feel about shitting on people that were skeptical and cautious from the start? Are you also bothered how people were quick to not only accept everything as true, but, also to criticize others for not immediately accepting the claims to be true?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
How do you feel about shitting on people that were skeptical and cautious from the start? Are you also bothered how people were quick to not only accept everything as true, but, also to criticize others for not immediately accepting the claims to be true?
Yeah. My bullshit detector was off the scale from the very start. Knowing how vitriolic people are here, I shut my mouth. I commented that the encounter as it was described is "horrible" -- and such an encounter most certainly would be. Reading the source links and seeing the death threat letter, I had a feeling Jussie was trying to get out of some obligation at work, but that's probably not it. Pure speculation, but maybe he's in some serious shit with someone dangerous and legitimately feared for his life, so he devised a way to get increased protection without revealing his involvement with dangerous people.

Dunno. If it's fraud, I hope he had a very good reason.

Reactions: HurleyBird

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I can't speak for others but most people don't just expect people to do incredibly stupid things. Though when people do incredibly stupid things, odds are it's either Florida man or some celebrity.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I can't speak for others but most people don't just expect people to do incredibly stupid things. Though when people do incredibly stupid things, odds are it's either Florida man or some celebrity.

Well, this was a celebrity, and yet it still happened.

As for not expecting people to do stupid things, that is part of the problem. False claims might be extremely far from the norm, but, it happens. So when we first got the story it seemed wired. Then, when people pointed out that what we knew seemed to leave the door open that this might not be what really happened, people were effectively shit on.

Why are people criticized for being skeptical just because the typical claim is true? You are saying that because typically it's real that we should not be skeptical when there are gaps in a story?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Well, this was a celebrity, and yet it still happened.

As for not expecting people to do stupid things, that is part of the problem. False claims might be extremely far from the norm, but, it happens. So when we first got the story it seemed wired. Then, when people pointed out that what we knew seemed to leave the door open that this might not be what really happened, people were effectively shit on.

Why are people criticized for being skeptical just because the typical claim is true? You are saying that because typically it's real that we should not be skeptical when there are gaps in a story?
I don't mind skeptical based on fact. As things come out there are reasons to doubt his story. I just get pissed when the same cast of characters trot out the same M.O. Black people make accusation, they must be lying.

I was inclined to believe him knowing these kind of attacks are on the rise in this country. Also it made no sense to me why one would risk ruining their acting career over a faked attack.

Let's see where this goes.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I don't mind skeptical based on fact. As things come out there are reasons to doubt his story. I just get pissed when the same cast of characters trot out the same M.O. Black people make accusation, they must be lying.

I was inclined to believe him knowing these kind of attacks are on the rise in this country. Also it made no sense to me why one would risk ruining their acting career over a faked attack.

Let's see where this goes.

The problem is when you see it as "He is black so he must be lying". 100% that would never fly here and was never said. That would mean any perception you had/have of that happening here comes from your bias.

Someone tried to claim that this would not have long term social implications, but, I think clearly it will. We just had the incident with those school boys where people rushed to judgement and were wrong. We now have this shortly after and again people rushed to judgment. We have a problem of racism and a problem of rushing to judgement.

Reactions: HurleyBird

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The problem is when you see it as "He is black so he must be lying". 100% that would never fly here and was never said. That would mean any perception you had/have of that happening here comes from your bias.

Someone tried to claim that this would not have long term social implications, but, I think clearly it will. We just had the incident with those school boys where people rushed to judgement and were wrong. We now have this shortly after and again people rushed to judgment. We have a problem of racism and a problem of rushing to judgement.
Not discounting what you are saying but we know the history here. I just have to pull out the names Jordan Davis and Treyvon Martin and that M.O. I mentioned is in glaring black and white (typeface)

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Not discounting what you are saying but we know the history here. I just have to pull out the names Jordan Davis and Treyvon Martin and that M.O. I mentioned is in glaring black and white (typeface)

As I said, we as a country have a problem work racism. We also have a problem where people think they are able to read between the lines and get it wrong. Past examples of racism does not make the claims here any more or less valid.

Why rush to judgement and pick any side when you can base your position on evidence?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So I just heard of this one late, watched a video on it... so there is no video of this and just one side of the story? Or did something come out showing that this did happen?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Oh...

Two men, not white, arrested?

Hundreds of replies when P&N thinks they can play the victim because of Trump supporters actions. A black man gets fired and shoots up his former work place killing five? Brush that under the rug.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Reminder of the letter that was sent to the set of empire that had a white powder that turned out to be Tylenol

_ENV_THATGRAPEJUICENET.jpg

I think the feds definitely have something that ties Jussie to he sending of this.

Nov 8, 2012
Good video that describes all the bullshit from the start. Also, he did in fact fully claim that the people were white on the police report

Reactions: SlowSpyder

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
So what do you guys think about the Smollett Act of 2019? Faking a hate crime being punishable as a hate crime.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

How am I shitting on people that were skeptical and cautious from the start when I'm one of those?
There's a difference, you know, in being skeptical and cautious, and in being hopeful that it's a fraud and working to determine it as such. The former is a passive and neutral position, the latter is active and biased.
And to be honest, I didn't see a lot of people here who immediately accepted this as true. The circumstances being bizarre, it seemed that most were skeptical from the beginning.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Yea, as I'm watching more and reading leftist replies here all I see are people falling victim to believing the stereotypes that they create in their own heads.
Says without irony the poster who is always claiming to be a victim of paranoid stereotypical bullshit delusions.

Reactions: Victorian Gray