The IRS wants to know what? - Oh hell NO!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Now the government (Democrats, of course) want to be able to access anyones banking information, spending habits, deposits / withdrawals.....which is all protected under our 4th amendment right:
The bill actually has strong bipartisan support. One of the few things D's and R's can agree on is filching more money from everyone else. While it does clearly run afoul of the 4th, we also have a SC that's likely about to shitcan Roe v Wade, so who the fuck knows what they'll allow at this point.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The bill actually has strong bipartisan support. One of the few things D's and R's can agree on is filching more money from everyone else. While it does clearly run afoul of the 4th, we also have a SC that's likely about to shitcan Roe v Wade, so who the fuck knows what they'll allow at this point.

Let me ask you something...

If I want to withdraw $20,000 in cash just to walk around with it, thats my damn right, correct? I paid taxes on it, there is record of deposits from an employer proving I earned every damn penny. But because I now want it in cash and its not within the governments purview to take on a whim, that pisses them off.

"Strong bipartisan support"!

My ass.

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Isn't there some movement toward a cashless society by the feds? That would render any reporting laws moot. Every cent in and out of your account could be easily tracked.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
I work in banking. They only way to access someones banking information is through a warrant, which is granted when there is suspicion.

Now the government (Democrats, of course) want to be able to access anyones banking information, spending habits, deposits / withdrawals.....which is all protected under our 4th amendment right:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. "

With the government snooping in our bank accounts and fishing for a reason to tax you more or perhaps charge you with filing a false tax return or using your habits to drag you in demanding paperwork to audit you.......all because they saw something about what you do with your own damn money.........is outrageous.

If this garbage passes, it will be challenged and overturned by the Supreme Court. They will need a warrant again (in other words, suspicion).
Links?
This is one I haven't heard yet.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Let me ask you something...

If I want to withdraw $20,000 in cash just to walk around with it, thats my damn right, correct? I paid taxes on it, there is record of deposits from an employer proving I earned every damn penny. But because I now want it in cash and its not within the governments purview to take on a whim, that pisses them off. Fuck 'em!

View attachment 53803

"Strong bipartisan support"!

My ass.
What kind of bank do you have that won't allow you to withdraw your money?

AFAIK it is you cannot "GIFT" more than 10k to another person currently.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Links?
This is one I haven't heard yet.
Page 88.

The law isn't being enacted so that GO BRANDON can keep track of every movement of cash in and out of your bank account. It's being enacted to suss out money laundering.

Fascist thought leaders who support money laundering latched onto page 88 because they could get their base voting morons to get really fucking scared that GO BRANDON was going to use the law to monitor Joe Bob's monthly F150 payments or whatever. Because the Fascists only care about scaring their moron base voters.

Here's a link to what the law is going to monitor and why.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
What kind of bank do you have that won't allow you to withdraw your money?

AFAIK it is you cannot "GIFT" more than 10k to another person currently.

You can deposit and withdraw as you please, as long as the record is there of how you earned it. There were laws created back the 1970s to catch money launderers who deposited cash over $10,000, which the banks have to report.

However there is caveat to that law if you try to deposit amounts underneath $10,000 on a fairly regular basis, which might trigger an accusation of
"structuring" - which is a federal crime - requiring you to spend about $50,000 in lawyer fees to defend yourself against.

This has severed their purposes well for 50 years. But now they want to take it to another level - lets monitor peoples spending, deposits, withdrawals, automatic payments, cash transfers, wires, international payments, receipts, business activity, etc., etc., etc., and see if we can find anything that will allow us to charge them with a crime and seize their bank accounts.

That is the bottom line.

Why would the government want to remove the presumption of innocence, make you paranoid about how you bank and what you do with your legally earned money?

Criminal defense attorneys are praying on hands and knees this gets passed because so many people now are going to find themselves accused of God knows what because some punk at the IRS thinks however you bank "doesnt sit well with them".

So here comes a letter from the IRS accusing you of "suspicious activity" and demands you show up with all your tax returns and legal representation and spend the next year defending everything you do with your legally earned money.

Only a left wing fascist would find this a clever sacrifice of Bank Privacy Laws as a revenue generation tool for lawyers and on a rare occasion maybe even the government.

This is your freedom, do not let them take it under the guise of "anti money laundering .... 'n shit". They already have tools for that and can get a warrant for your bank records if need be.

With the proposed law a warrant is no longer required. Due to public criticism they raised the amount to over $10,000 of annual deposits in aggregate.

Do you make more than $10,000 a year?

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Have you ever known a small business person who hasn't talked about money under the table?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
You can deposit and withdraw as you please, as long as the record is there of how you earned it. There were laws created back the 1970s to catch money launderers who deposited cash over $10,000, which the banks have to report.

However there is caveat to that law if you try to deposit amounts underneath $10,000 on a fairly regular basis, which might trigger an accusation of
"structuring" - which is a federal crime - requiring you to spend about $50,000 in lawyer fees to defend yourself against.

This has severed their purposes well for 50 years. But now they want to take it to another level - lets monitor peoples spending, deposits, withdrawals, automatic payments, cash transfers, wires, international payments, receipts, business activity, etc., etc., etc., and see if we can find anything that will allow us to charge them with a crime and seize their bank accounts.

That is the bottom line.

Why would the government want to remove the presumption of innocence, make you paranoid about how you bank and what you do with your legally earned money?

Criminal defense attorneys are praying on hands and knees this gets passed because so many people now are going to find themselves accused of God knows what because some punk at the IRS thinks however you bank "doesnt sit well with them".

So here comes a letter from the IRS accusing you of "suspicious activity" and demands you show up with all your tax returns and legal representation and spend the next year defending everything you do with your legally earned money.

Only a left wing fascist would find this a clever sacrifice of Bank Privacy Laws as a revenue generation tool for lawyers and on a rare occasion maybe even the government.

This kind of thinking goes hand in hand with the same idiocy as out of control seizure laws. There was time (before the last president put a stop to it), that the police could pull you over and seize your cash if it was over $10,000 under the presumption that you were some kind of criminal. They did this without a warrant and most of the time kept it unless you hired a lawyer ($5k retainer....to start) to try and get it back.

This is your freedom, do not let them take it under the guise of "anti money laundering .... 'n shit". They already have tools for that and can get a warrant for your bank records if need be.

With the proposed law a warrant is no longer required. Due to public criticism they raised the amount to over $10,000 of annual deposits in aggregate.

Do you make more than $10,000 a year?
Figures a low information fascist traitor like Felix would jump to the defense of money laundering by the likes of the fascist traitors of the Trump organization.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Have you ever known a small business person who hasn't talked about money under the table?

You mean "Is there such a thing as one honest business person in America?"

Of course there are. In fact, most people are honest and so are most business people. But that does not mean everyone should lose their right to Bank Privacy because of a few bad apples so we can fund even more government welfare programs.

Thats akin to taking away the 2nd amendment because a gun is used to commit crime. And honesty I would argue there is far more people committing gun crime than there are tax cheats.

So lets take away everyones right to privacy so we "supposedly" look for the "real" criminals. You know, people with TOO MUCH in their checking account.

Taxing checking / savings account balances

How about a "tax on all saving and checking accounts over $100,000" to pay for social programs? We can end homelessness and hunger! We can do this and that! "Only the rich have to pay!!!"

You try to take care of yourself and provide for your future and your reward is to have it taken away and given to those who did not care and did as they please.

Taxing 401K balances

In less than 10 years I suspect the government will want to put its grubby paws on "unrealized gains" in everyone's 401k. How about a 1% tax over $1M in your 401k? "Its ok, I dont have $1M in my 401k and probably never will", I dont care.

Then it will be a 1% tax on $500k, then $250k, then $100k.

Do not give up your right to privacy, liberty or anything else because they made you think it was for a good cause. Thats always the reason.