The IRS tracks your digital footprints

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
We once had much higher taxes on the extremely wealthy. The country did quite well, and people still tried to gain lots of wealth.

Putting on a show so that they can say that they're doing something?
For the first part, we also had many deductions so that almost no one actually paid those rates. They paid accountants and tax lawyers instead. Is a system with nominally high rates which forces people to spend money on non-wealth producing things an improvement over a simple system with low rates?

For the second, mo' debinately.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I said before, I'll say it again - I'm going to laugh my ass off when states get in on this too. "Let's see... says here that you purchased a large screen television for $1000. And here's another one for $1100. And looks like you bought two more for $450 each, must have been for the bedroom, huh? Let's see... and your tax return clearly shows you did not pay the appropriate tax that you are legally obligated to pay on those items. Let's see... that's $3000... 8%, that's $240 in taxes. $400 in penalties, $120 in late fees."

And yes, I've paid tax on everything I'm obligated to pay tax for online. In fact, with a car that the seller didn't put the VIN # on the receipt, I was forced to pay tax on the NADA value instead of what I paid; I've overpaid in taxes. (Hell, I live in NY - it's unavoidable here.)

MaxPayne63

Dec 19, 2011
We once had much higher taxes on the extremely wealthy. The country did quite well, and people still tried to gain lots of wealth.

I'ts cute that there are still people in America who believe wealthy people actually pay the headline rate. That's right up there with believing the earth is flat or the moon is made out of cheese.