The Intel Z490 Motherboard Overview: 44+ Motherboards Examined

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I also came across this article about upcoming Asrock boards: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-comet-lake-overclocking-asrock-base-frequency-boost
ASRock's Base Frequency Boost (BFB) Technology, which is innate to the brand's latest Intel 400-series motherboards, will allow consumers to overclock the base clock on locked Intel 10th Generation Comet Lake processors, even with non-Z series motherboards, as per a leaked slide shared by VideoCardz.
I'm surprised Asrock didn't learn their lesson the last time they tried this. :oops:

I imagine this feature will be disabled within 30 days of launch. So just like last time, grab an early release BIOS or face losing this feature.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I imagine this feature will be disabled within 30 days of launch. So just like last time, grab an early release BIOS or face losing this feature.
I don't know, several years in, my ASRock Z170 Pro4S, with "BCLK OC" features, still has them, in BIOS/UEFI 7.00 even. (Maybe not newer, as they may have removed them, finally, to implement mitigations for the various exploits against Skylake.)

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I also came across this article about upcoming Asrock boards: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-comet-lake-overclocking-asrock-base-frequency-boost

I'm surprised Asrock didn't learn their lesson the last time they tried this. :oops:

Intel doesn't consider jacking up the TDP to infinity as overclocking. You're still limited to the per core frequency limits unless you unlock.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I don't know, several years in, my ASRock Z170 Pro4S, with "BCLK OC" features, still has them, in BIOS/UEFI 7.00 even. (Maybe not newer, as they may have removed them, finally, to implement mitigations for the various exploits against Skylake.)
What Intel made them pull was the "SkyOC", and any BIOS updates after 2016 should have disabled it from what I read about back then.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540908-asrocks-latest-bios-removes-skyoc-feature/
https://techreport.com/news/29686/asrock-kills-its-skyoc-bclk-overclocking-feature/

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
But... "SkyOC" wasn't JUST "BCLK OC". It was a one-touch BIOS hotkey to BCLK OC. They removed "SkyOC", but DIDN'T remove BCLK OC. Get it?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
But... "SkyOC" wasn't JUST "BCLK OC". It was a one-touch BIOS hotkey to BCLK OC. They removed "SkyOC", but DIDN'T remove BCLK OC. Get it?
Yes, I understand that Asrock bclk overclocking was called SkyOC. That aspect is in the articles I linked to.

What I said was from what I read (didn't say I had a Asrock Z170 Asrock board) Intel forced them to disable that feature, and that Asrock removed the feature with a BIOS/firmware update back in February 2016 (the Linus link shows beginning with BIOS version 2.10).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, I understand that Asrock bclk overclocking was called SkyOC. That aspect is in the articles I linked to.
No, my exact point was that it WASN'T.

"SkyOC" was mostly cosmetic, it was a hotkey feature. The actual functionality of BCLK OC was never removed! (At least, up through BIOS 7.00, which was several years later, and after that press.)

Edit: They DID pull the POST sign-on hotkey to BCLK OC using the hotkey, but if you manually set everything up in BIOS, it was still functional. I verified that at the time.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Intel doesn't consider jacking up the TDP to infinity as overclocking. You're still limited to the per core frequency limits unless you unlock.
It will be interesting to see if Intel responds to it. For all I know, Asrock went to Intel first this time when they created this so call "BFB" technology.
No, my exact point was that it WASN'T.

"SkyOC" was mostly cosmetic, it was a hotkey feature. The actual functionality of BCLK OC was never removed! (At least, up through BIOS 7.00, which was several years later, and after that press.)
OK Larry.

I mentioned their overclocking feature called SkyOC. You're the one who says they still allow bclk overclocking part. I mean I linked to the dang article.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I mean, if it does, that means that PSUs should be getting cheaper, right, not more expensive?

LOL... when has anything with the word intel gotten cheaper? Well besides there 600 series nvme's

IMO, tho the 10 pin is a good move in direction over the 24pin. The 24 pin is just not needed anymore, and all the voltage step down can be done on the board level, and no longer requires the PSU to do it.
It would also make the PSU more robust to have larger single large rail, as i am a fan of single rail psu's over multi rails.
So it would be great if we saw a psu with only 2 voltages, 12v and a 5v and skip the 3.3v all together, as you can step down that from the 5v rail.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
It will be interesting to see if Intel responds to it. For all I know, Asrock went to Intel first this time when they created this so call "BFB" technology.

Unless it's somehow above the stock all core turbo, Intel isn't going to care.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
It has thunderbolt and 10gbe, along with a full board block (mosfet + pch) connected with a cpu block.

Id say just in the waterblocks alone your looking at 400-500 dollars... add a 500 dollar board on top, and then the markup for team gigabyte, its probably priced reasonably.

It does need a OLED tho.
RGB is meh, OLED is BLING 2020!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It has thunderbolt and 10gbe, along with a full board block (mosfet + pch) connected with a cpu block.

Id say just in the waterblocks alone your looking at 400-500 dollars... add a 500 dollar board on top, and then the markup for team gigabyte, its probably priced reasonably.

It does need a OLED tho.
RGB is meh, OLED is BLING 2020!
It's loaded for sure.

I just have a mental block on spending more on a motherboard than the CPU that goes in it. I'm definitely not the target audience on these $300+ motherboards. :p

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I'm definitely not the target audience on these $300+ motherboards. :p

Im sort of the opposite...
If its for my main system, i won't look at a sub 200 dollar board.

I want everything with bells and whistles, and it better be able to make me a sandwich on top with a snap of a finger without giving me the dreaded eye roll. :eek:

But i honestly do not trust Aquantia 10gbe... it has to be Intel or Cheliso for me.
I don't even use my killer nic, as again, if its not Intel, i just wont use it.