The Infernal Checkout Maze.

Nov 17, 2019
Used to be only in a few stores ... TJ Maxx, Michael's Crafts and a few others.

Went into Big Lots the other day and there it was. Hadn't been there before. Course they have it stuffed with cheap trinkets to entice you while you wander through it. I've never seen more than 3 or 4 people in line, so it's definitely not for crowd control.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Not sure what you are talking about but a single queue is definitely more efficient but people hate it.

Most of the stores I go to have self checkout so I just use that.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Doesn't bother me. Seems to work ok. The line I don't like is aldi. It starts organically, and there's no real organization, so it's a little confusing until you see where to queue up, and that line is also mixed with people still shopping.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Not sure what you are talking about but a single queue is definitely more efficient but people hate it.

Most of the stores I go to have self checkout so I just use that.

If I have one or two items, fine. Otherwise, I'm not doing their fucking job unless they give me a discount for using the self-checkout.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Whats worse is no checkout line. When you have people just wandering aimlessly and hoping to get a cashier. Dollar General is like that.
Today I went over just to get a quart of milk. Old fat lady in front of me realized she didnt have enough, decided to keep her two 12 packs of Dr Pepper and give up her milk and laundry detergent. By the way, if you're fat AND short on cash, you should not be keeping the soda pop and giving up essentials.
ANYWAY, apparently at my local Dollar General you cannot just take items off the register. You need to scream loudly for some lady in the back, wait five minutes until she shows up, and then follow the five minute procedure while she manually removes items from the bill.
Woman in front of me was only getting tampons. She got fed up and put them back and walked out of the store. I held my ground while slowly realizing my milk was getting warm.
They keep complaining they can never get enough help, which is weird because they only pay minimum wage and have no benefits of any kind.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Whats worse is no checkout line. When you have people just wandering aimlessly and hoping to get a cashier. Dollar General is like that.
Today I went over just to get a quart of milk. Old fat lady in front of me realized she didnt have enough, decided to keep her two 12 packs of Dr Pepper and give up her milk and laundry detergent. By the way, if you're fat AND short on cash, you should not be keeping the soda pop and giving up essentials.
ANYWAY, apparently at my local Dollar General you cannot just take items off the register. You need to scream loudly for some lady in the back, wait five minutes until she shows up, and then follow the five minute procedure while she manually removes items from the bill.
Woman in front of me was only getting tampons. She got fed up and put them back and walked out of the store. I held my ground while slowly realizing my milk was getting warm.
They keep complaining they can never get enough help, which is weird because they only pay minimum wage and have no benefits of any kind.

That's what you get for shopping at DG. They opened one here last year. Most worthless waste of good real estate I've seen in a long time.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
That's what you get for shopping at DG. They opened one here last year. Most worthless waste of good real estate I've seen in a long time.
If I was god-emperor for a day, one of my tasks would be burning down every DG and replacing it with a stand of trees. Preferably very long lived ones, and the land would be federally protected.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Sorry.
They have more stuff than a convenience store, and are much closer to my house. IF they arent having difficulties its a very efficient way to get a quart of milk.
Next time I move I'm gonna make sure I'm close to a quality grocery store.