The infamous DMCA... doesnt go far enough?!?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
OK, this guy, and all of his hollywood buddies, need to be woken up. This is getting ridiculous...

If they have their way, your entire digital life will be under their control, and EVERYTHING on the internet will be illegal... unless you're them, of course.

Source
<<Congressman Hollywood: It's time to revisit the DMCA
By Nate Anderson | Published: December 13, 2007 - 11:04AM CT

Rep. Howard Berman (D-CA), also known as Congressman Hollywood, is one of the most powerful members of the House when it comes to intellectual property issues, so when he muses aloud about "revisiting" the DMCA, people listen. Unfortunately, Berman wants to reform the DMCA because it doesn't go far enough, and his ideas sound like they're ripped right from the pages of the Big Content playbook.

Berman chairs the House Subcommittee on Courts, the Internet, and Intellectual Property, and this morning oversaw a hearing on the PRO-IP Act, a bill that could boost statutory damages for copyright infringement and create a special IP enforcement office in the executive branch as well as a new IP division at the Department of Justice. Before witness testimony got underway, Berman mused aloud about things the bill did not contain but which he would like to revisit in the future.

Berman believes that the DMCA, in particular, needs reforming, but not in the ways that consumers have clamored for. Instead, the congressman wants to look again at the issue of "safe harbor" provisions currently extended to ISPs for infringing content flowing across their networks. He wants to examine the "effectiveness of takedown notices" under the DMCA, and he'd like to take another look at whether filtering technology has advanced to the point where Congress ought to mandate it in certain situations.

The ideas could not be more pleasing to companies like Viacom, which is currently suing YouTube over the issue of takedown notices, claiming that simply adhering to the DMCA takedown notice system is not good enough. The MPAA, which has been pushing for ISPs to adopt video filtering on their networks, should also be thrilled.

Big Content has been touting fingerprinting and filtering technologies as the solution to the problem of having their copyrighted content posted online. In October, Viacom and a handful of other companies issued a set of principles governing how user-generated video content should be handled. Signatories to the manifesto would be forced to beyond the boundaries of the DMCA?in the same direction Rep. Berman wants the DMCA to go, in fact.

Gutting the Safe Harbor provision of the DMCA, as Berman appears to be advocating, would also provide a massive boost to the rights-holders. Conversely, it would have a chilling effect, not only on the likes of YouTube, but on any site that hosts any sort of user-generated content. The Safe Harbor is arguably one of the very few worthwhile provisions of the DMCA. Rewriting it to favor the interests of Big Content would be a gigantic mistake.
Who the hell elected this fvcking shmuck?! Whoever you are, I hope you're f'n proud of yourselves for the virtual poo you've flung at everyone else!

Disclaimer: this has nothing to do with this clown being a Democrat... he's simply an idiot; and those, unfortunately, exist in every party!

bah...

/discuss

Worlocked

Nov 9, 2005
The **AA's will get what they want, by the Corporate lobby for the Corporate lobby, per usual.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
He was elected for the sole purpose of proposing dung like this to "represent his constituents" properly. Unfortunately for the rest of us, his representation of their will over everyone else in the world's will cost us all.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Follow the money. Take a look at Mr. Berman's records and see how much $$$ is flowing in from the scum.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
I think its time for everyone to cancel their broadband internet and go back to dial up.

Buy Zero CDs
Buy Zero DVDs
Buy Zero Games

Rent nothing.

No Concerts

No films in the theater

Oh, cancel your cable to and watch OTA.

Screw these people.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: GoPackGo
I think its time for everyone to cancel their broadband internet and go back to dial up.

Buy Zero CDs
Buy Zero DVDs
Buy Zero Games

Rent nothing.

No Concerts

No films in the theater

Screw these people.

I wonder how fast they'd go out of business.

Heck, lets go the other way. How about lets make *everyone* pirate everything, if just for a half a year. That'd be fun :)

At first I had respect for what they were doing. As time has went on, I absolutely hate them. I'll be writing my congressman.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Buy Zero CDs
Buy Zero DVDs
Buy Zero Games

Rent nothing.

No Concerts

No films in the theater

Screw these people.

You will get about a quarter of your wish.

Many of the middle class being killed by the job and mortgae trashing will be dropping all that above.

Aim your wish at the rich. Good luck with that.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
This guy Berman is really onto something. We just need to create another huge and expensive bureaucracy to try to police something that is virtually unpoliceable and harmless to boot.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Balt
This guy Berman is really onto something. We just need to create another huge and expensive bureaucracy to try to police something that is virtually unpoliceable and harmless to boot.
lol... ya.. im glad someone else noticed his ideas to create a new virtual police force... as part of the executive branch, no less!

sickening..

Jun 26, 2007
DMCA and other assorted idiocies don't really do shit but restrict legal use for those numbnuts who actually buy the crap.

I mean, Britney should pay me fucking money for having to see her fucking commercials for her new album, i never asked for that shit.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I think people who view the DMCA as a creator's protection law need to actually read it. The purpose of the DMCA, in fact the purpose of the entire "anti-pirate" movement, isn't to protect copyright, it's to control distribution and usage. I am perfectly fine saying copyright should be respected and creators should be compensated for their work, but consumers have rights as well. For instance, I think selling copies of a song without the artist's permission should be illegal, but technologies that restrict the consumer's right to copy media they own should be illegal as well. The DMCA et all lean WAY too far towards the former problem and totally ignore the latter.

Don't believe me, consider this: if I go to the store and BUY an HD-DVD of my favorite movie and attempt to play it at the highest possible resolution my TV supports (1080p) using my HD-DVD XBox 360 attachment, it's not going to work. Why? Because the component video I use to hook up my Xbox to my TV isn't permitted to transmit 1080p since it doesn't support copy protection technology. How is that helpful to the consumers, or the content creators? The answer is that it's not, the only purpose of bullshit like that is to allow the media companies to totally control not only the media, but the distribution of ALL media. And the only thing the DMCA does is make it illegal for me to attempt to watch my HD-DVD the way I want to.

imported_inspire

Jun 29, 2006
I usually cringe when I hear the euphemism 'Big X' used over and over in an article. I think companies should use the existing laws and protect their IP themselves rather than having the government create a special branch to do it all for them. Welcome to the big leagues.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Buy Zero CDs
Buy Zero DVDs
Buy Zero Games

Rent nothing.

No Concerts

No films in the theater

Screw these people.

Many of the middle class being killed by the job and mortgae trashing will be dropping all that above.

Your hero signed this trash into law.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Great ideas all around. We should also have virtual hangings and cyber castrations for content violators.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: bamacre

Buy Zero CDs
Buy Zero DVDs
Buy Zero Games

Rent nothing.

No Concerts

No films in the theater

Screw these people.

Your hero signed this trash into law.

I'll assume by "hero" you mean Clinton. Very true; however if you look at the Act's history it was written by a Republican congressman (Hatch, I believe) and passed by a Rep. Congress. Not trying to make it partisan, just pointing out that there's pleny of blame to go around.

alzan

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: alzan
I'll assume by "hero" you mean Clinton.

Very true; however if you look at the Act's history it was written by a Republican congressman (Hatch, I believe) and passed by a Rep. Congress.

Not trying to make it partisan, just pointing out that there's pleny of blame to go around.

While that may be true, what forced Clinton to sign it???

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
Great ideas all around. We should also have virtual hangings and cyber castrations for content violators.

Never happen, there would be no radical righties left to post.

Can somebody ban this idiot already?