The impossible burger (meatless meat). Now with Qdoba comparison

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I'm surprised how fast the Impossible Burger and Beyond Meat is penetrating places, but it's a good thing overall. A lot of human activities isn't sustainable, including raising animals for meat (and this is coming from a meat-eater).

I think it's directly because of two reasons:

1. People are tired of being overweight, sick, and tired

2. But we all crave convenience, which is why places like McDonalds literally make $20 billion a year

= you pay a buck or two extra for a "healthy" burger & everyone wants to try it, because:

1. It's not that much more expensive (they used to be like $10/ea FWIW)

2. It's convenience

3. Unlike BK's other Veggie Burger, it actually tastes pretty close to meat

= it doesn't hurt too much to try it...a little bit more money & a little bit less taste, but pretty close to the same, and you get to feel better about your eating choices for that meal, lol.

I've tried it twice, one without cheese & once with. The cheese makes a huge difference, imo. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again (still prefer the beefy, greasy version), but I wouldn't say no to one in the future. They did a pretty good job on it!

Reactions: Captante

Azurik

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2002
I think it's directly because of two reasons:

1. People are tired of being overweight, sick, and tired

2. But we all crave convenience, which is why places like McDonalds literally make $20 billion a year

= you pay a buck or two extra for a "healthy" burger & everyone wants to try it, because:

1. It's not that much more expensive (they used to be like $10/ea FWIW)

2. It's convenience

3. Unlike BK's other Veggie Burger, it actually tastes pretty close to meat

= it doesn't hurt too much to try it...a little bit more money & a little bit less taste, but pretty close to the same, and you get to feel better about your eating choices for that meal, lol.

I've tried it twice, one without cheese & once with. The cheese makes a huge difference, imo. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again (still prefer the beefy, greasy version), but I wouldn't say no to one in the future. They did a pretty good job on it!

Hey Kaido,

The general trend in the U.S., especially among the younger demographics, is towards healthier, farm-to-table food. Or. if they still want convenience, they go to fast-casual (Panera Bread), which is a lot healthier than traditional fast-food joints. The vast majority of Americans are overweight or obese compared to the rest of the world (except our brothers and sisters in England and Austrailia).

I think the other point is, fake meat taste a lot better now than some years ago. Although still not the same. I agree with you, I've tried Beyond Meat and like their non-plain versions - there's still a gap between real and not real, but it's closing fast.

Reactions: Thebobo

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Given my sad life, one of my guilty pleasures is getting a whopper with cheese meal around once a year. And every year I regret it. But like a beaten spouse I go back.

It's about that time again, let's see how the impossible works out from a commode perspective.

Commode report?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Hey Kaido,

The general trend in the U.S., especially among the younger demographics, is towards healthier, farm-to-table food. Or. if they still want convenience, they go to fast-casual (Panera Bread), which is a lot healthier than traditional fast-food joints. The vast majority of Americans are overweight or obese compared to the rest of the world (except our brothers and sisters in England and Austrailia).
People tell me I'm skinny, I tell them other people being fat doesn't make me skinny. I'm at the upper end of the "normal" BMI scale, would need to drop another 15 pounds before I start to approach "skinny".

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
People tell me I'm skinny, I tell them other people being fat doesn't make me skinny. I'm at the upper end of the "normal" BMI scale, would need to drop another 15 pounds before I start to approach "skinny".
I get that too, and I'm actually overweight. Not by a lot, but still...

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I get that too, and I'm actually overweight. Not by a lot, but still...

Same here ... compared to most folks I'm slender but based on BMI I'm closer to obese.

According to big-brother I'm supposed to weigh about 170 to be healthy ... I have not weighed 170 since 8th grade!

EDIT: And on-topic I plan on trying the "$7 Impossible taste-test bundle" over the weekend.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'll give this thread a bump, now that Burger King launched their Impossible Whoppers nationwide now.

I got one, and did a taste test along side of a regular Whopper with cheese. Honestly, it's difficult to tell the difference between the two unless you're really trying. I guess that it doesn't really help that Burger King covers the Whopper with a ton of sauce and toppings, and they don't exactly use the best quality beef to begin with.

My 6 year kid liked it as well, for what it's worth.

The only way to really tell the difference between the two is to take a chunk of the patty out of the burger and eat it on it's own. Then you can tell that while it's seasoned nice and has a nice smoky flavor, it's not quite beef. Pretty damn close, though.
I've eaten three "Impossible Whoppers" thus far at B.K.

First one, was asked if I wanted it with cheese, said yes, was a afraid that they were suggesting that as a matter of principle, because they sucked.

Well, it was actually pretty good.

Second one, I saw an ad on the order monitor, that you could get any sandwich, with "Cheese and Bacon", so I ordered my I.W. with C&B. The irony of getting a "meatless whopper" with dairy and bacon. Mmm, delicious.

Third time, I got bold, and got one without cheese or bacon. Actually, Mom went in and ordered for us, and I forgot to tell her to get it any different way.

Honestly, it's not quite beef, but, on it's own, especially with the Whopper toppings, it's pretty dang good.

Not sure if I'm detecting an aftertaste, or unpleasant odors emanating from my pores after eating one, though.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
There are some questions about if they're cooked on the same Grill as the regular Whoppers if they're going to get some real burger meat juice on your impossible Burger

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Had the impossible with cheese. Probably the right test would be is to order the impossible and regular one with some custom option (like hold the onions) to get them side by side instead of some grease laden thing under a heat lamp.

But I'll be danged, I couldn't really tell much of a difference and I knew what I was eating.