The important thing is that the owner of the gun feels safe

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/2-old-ten...ife-being-195332214--abc-news-topstories.html

Responsible gun owner. Red state blues. Just needed a good toddler with a gun.

With that crap out of the way, I wonder how they have determined that this was an errant shot and not deliberate? Like, how do you make that determination when you do not even know who pulled the trigger? Or are we just pretending that nobody could be fucked up enough to shoot a toddler on purpose?

Reactions: Blackjack200

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Ughh... :(
Jeez hope she pulls through.

I'm so glad I don't live in a country with such a gun fetish.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/2-old-ten...ife-being-195332214--abc-news-topstories.html

Responsible gun owner. Red state blues. Just needed a good toddler with a gun.

With that crap out of the way, I wonder how they have determined that this was an errant shot and not deliberate? Like, how do you make that determination when you do not even know who pulled the trigger? Or are we just pretending that nobody could be fucked up enough to shoot a toddler on purpose?
Back when I did own guns, I took care to handle them properly and safely. Never had a AD, and I certainly would not shoot a toddler on purpose.

Jan 25, 2011
As long as they don't try to make the owners of guns require insurance in the event an accident like this happens It's ok. The family should be the ones on the hook for paying for everything this kid will need for the rest of her life. It's their fault for letting their child play in their own backyard.

Reactions: dank69

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Looks like it ricocheted off the swing set post. The determination that it was a stray shot makes more sense with that bit of information.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
How babely was the toddler injured?
She was barely clinging to life when the article was written. Severed an artery in her head which then caused a stroke. Multiple surgeries. How much brain damage wasn't clear yet and I am not sure if she is even going to live.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
She was barely clinging to life when the article was written. Severed an artery in her head which then caused a stroke. Multiple surgeries. How much brain damage wasn't clear yet and I am not sure if she is even going to live.
Good grief, nothing like this should ever happen to a child like that.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Back when I did own guns, I took care to handle them properly and safely. Never had a AD, and I certainly would not shoot a toddler on purpose.
Not saying you did or didn't, but literally every gun owner thinks they handle their guns responsibly.

But good forbid required training, safes, trigger locks, or liability insurance. How would they be able to fulfill their fantasies of killing a "thug" if their guns were actually locked up?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Just read the article, and Damn some jackass was target shooting around homes?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
So does that mean you might shoot a toddler by accident???

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
As long as they don't try to make the owners of guns require insurance in the event an accident like this happens It's ok. The family should be the ones on the hook for paying for everything this kid will need for the rest of her life. It's their fault for letting their child play in their own backyard.

You know responsible gun owners always say to treat a gun as loaded, always know what’s behind your target, and never point it at something you don’t want dead. They say that because they know a mistake may kill or maim someone.

What if we made sure someone was killed or maimed. What if instead of making more and more restrictive gun laws we just make, accidental discharges, unauthorized access, failure to secure your weapon, and any currently on the books gun related crimes capital crimes eligible to the death penalty against the gun owner?

This would affect none of the law abiding good guys with guns and only criminals and the criminally careless.

Shouldn’t criminally careless gun owners be punished. How could any conservative gun owner turn down the option to punish the careless and the criminal and uphold the death penalty.

Whose with me for death to careless gun owners!

/s (I think ;) )

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
That's horrible.

I know someone whose 10 year old son accidentally shot and killed himself with a pistol. The parents had it in a locked cabinet, but the boy, who was trying to impress a friend, found the key in their desk drawer. It was unloaded, but the mag was full and right there in the cabinet cabinet with the gun. He just slapped it into the handle and started fooling around with it. She's never gotten over the guilt, even 20 years later.

If you have kids, it's a bad idea to have a gun in the house, even if you take precautions. Especially boys. They like to play with guns.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I used to get into everything as a child and handling a 38 special was one of my favorite discoveries. But I was shooting with my Dad by the age of 3 or 4 so I knew what guns were for. I knew what ammo was for and what the trigger does and where the projectile exits the gun. And not to brag but I think on the whole I have OK common sense.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Better yet, the tax payers. Since the medical bills will likely bankrupt the family and they will end up on Medicaid and foodstamps! Actually, we better hurry up and cut these silly entitlements so these moochers can't keep sucking us dry.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
You know responsible gun owners always say to treat a gun as loaded, always know what’s behind your target, and never point it at something you don’t want dead. They say that because they know a mistake may kill or maim someone.

What if we made sure someone was killed or maimed. What if instead of making more and more restrictive gun laws we just make, accidental discharges, unauthorized access, failure to secure your weapon, and any currently on the books gun related crimes capital crimes eligible to the death penalty against the gun owner?

This would affect none of the law abiding good guys with guns and only criminals and the criminally careless.

Shouldn’t criminally careless gun owners be punished. How could any conservative gun owner turn down the option to punish the careless and the criminal and uphold the death penalty.

Whose with me for death to careless gun owners!

/s (I think ;) )
Makes sense to me. After all, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you've got nothing to worry about! Amirite?

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
That's horrible.

I know someone whose 10 year old son accidentally shot and killed himself with a pistol. The parents had it in a locked cabinet, but the boy, who was trying to impress a friend, found the key in their desk drawer. It was unloaded, but the mag was full and right there in the cabinet cabinet with the gun. He just slapped it into the handle and started fooling around with it. She's never gotten over the guilt, even 20 years later.

If you have kids, it's a bad idea to have a gun in the house, even if you take precautions. Especially boys. They like to play with guns.
very true, my gf lost a son when her other son shot him in the chest, neither got over the guilt. that happened years ago when both were young, not yet teens.