The iCar

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Bring in the Japanese. We helped them rebuild their economy after the war, they can return the favor with our Auto Manufacturers

That is a very brilliant idea, especially coming from you. ;) j/k

Seriously though, they're already here building cars in America. The big three should maybe tour their Toyota and Honda plants. It might give them a clue about quality control. We could watch how they make things and how they run their labor / pay standards, etc.

Actually GM has some of the highest quality and most efficient plants in North America. And yes Red Dawn, it is the union contracts fault for the domestics building inferior products for decades. They clearly had far less money to reinvest into R&D and product development.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: Budmantom
The big three have a handicap when it comes to competing with the Japanese car makers and it's the unions and the legacy costs, if they could get rid of them they would be profitable again.

The Dem's run the unions or do the unions run the Dem's(?) and they wont let the big 3 separate from one another, thats why the Dem's are backing the bailout (of the unions), if they go bankrupt they may be able to get rid of the unions and legacy costs and they will be profitable again.

In my opinion the only way for the automakers to become profitable again is to go bankrupt, restructure and they can and will be competitive with the foreign automakers.

I hate that companies are able to make labor contracts and hten get out of it by declaring bankruptcy.

Also, iirc union legacy costs are less than their management legacy costs. I wonder if GM and other companies being killed by retiree and employee healthcare costs would support UHC in 1994?
If bankruptcy law didn't exists, the companies would just close their doors and go out of business and the unions would then be left with absolutely nothing.

GM is running out of money. Without bankruptcy or a bailout, they will become bankrupt (IE no more money & no more credit) and then they would cease to exist as a corporate entity if there were no such thing as bankruptcy law.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: shocksyde
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Bring in the Japanese. We helped them rebuild their economy after the war, they can return the favor with our Auto Manufacturers

Does that mean they get to pick 2 cities to hit with an atomic weapon? I nominate Detroit! Wait...

I swear, anytime you see someone making an unfair comment about the US, selective poorly used historical references never seem far behind. As though our bombing of Japan was somehow an out-of-the-blue occurrence rather than one only properly understood in its full context