The IBM DeskStars..........

SPB

Aug 10, 2001
So, what is the general concensus on thses drives? I just bought and received my 80gig 120gxp which is supposed to be the shnit and preform verry well. I am concerned about the reliability of the drive though having heard so many bad things about the previous gxp's. Is most of this just trash talk or is there an actuall problem? People I personaly know have never had a single problem with their IBM drives. When is AnandTech going to do a review of the new series of GXP's? Any wyas, I haven't even hooked the drive up yet so I will have to come to my own conclusions later. Thanx.

DoOLiE11

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2000
i dont think it will be a problem,

i have had my 75gxp and havent had a single problem with them yet.

SaturnX

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
My 30GB 75GXP is still rolling along, great drive, but it's only a storage now, since I bought a Maxtor D740X (60GB) for my new main drive. But the IBM was my system drive for last year, and still going strong.

--Mark

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< So, what is the general concensus on thses drives? >>

One would think you should ask that question before the purchase if there is doubt in your mind.

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
I don't believe I've seen anyone having a gripe about the 120GXP models... maybe I'm wrong, but I'm hoping that IBM ironed out all the problems by this model...

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The 120GXP is too new of a HDD to make a viable conclusion.

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
Very true John...

I'm hoping IBM is trying to at least fix this damn problem, or else Maxtor, Western Digital, and Segate are going to be getting a hell of a lot more business :)

SPB

Aug 10, 2001
John you have a good point and I had asked a few people and decided through that info to go with the IBM. The other option was the Maxtor or the Seagate but IBM won me over in the end. I seriously considerd the WD "Special Addetion" for about 5 seconds. :D It may not have been as thought out as it should have been but that was my decision none the less. Besides if I have any problems I hear that new egg is good about RMA's. ;) Thanx for the input peoples. I will find out tonight if it was a good decission or not and then time will tell from there.