The "I got an Echo Dot for Christmas" Thread

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
So this was apparently the gift to give and to get this Christmas. I got two and didn't even ask for them. We already have a fairly extensive Hue lighting system with IFTT routines and some other gadgets, so setting them up was pretty easy by comparison.

We've got one set up in the living room and one in the kitchen and it easily imported all the lights and rooms we had established in the Hue Bridge, although I had to regroup the lights manually. Both are connected to existing audio systems which far surpass the capabilities of the tiny speaker itself. It's pretty clear that having Amazon Prime is necessary if you want to maximize its music playback capabilities.

The detection for "Alexa" wake word is excellent - you can almost whisper it. Likewise, they work together so that it will only activate the closest unit to you in case they both hear you. So far it's really impressive. This morning I carried the laundry downstairs so my hands were full. "Alexa, turn on the basement lights", I said casually and it was so. "Alexa, play Mastadon at volume 10." and I rocked out while doing the dishes while my hands were wet. "Alexa remind me to check the laundry in 35 minutes." and she did.

I can't wait to get more Alexa-compatible devices.