The hypocrisy on the deficit is astounding

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
When Bush was in office the hardcore Dems were all in arms about it and the hardcore Repubs didn't seem to have a problem with it, now the roles are reversed. Is it not hilarious and disgusting at the same time how this crap goes on? When will the hypocrisy and madness end? This applies to more than the deficit as well, almost all aspects of politics in our country. We would be so much better off the the partisan hacks on both sides would cut the crap be honest for a change.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Sawyer
When Bush was in office the hardcore Dems were all in arms about it and the hardcore Repubs didn't seem to have a problem with it, now the roles are reversed. Is it not hilarious and disgusting at the same time how this crap goes on? When will the hypocrisy and madness end? This applies to more than the deficit as well, almost all aspects of politics in our country. We would be so much better off the the partisan hacks on both sides would cut the crap be honest for a change.

I dunno about that... I am pretty "hardcore" liberal and I cant stand this stimulus bill, or Bush and Obama's (both) lack of fiscal disciplin.

I mean, I know we need to do something, but hte pork in that bill makes me sick. That isnt change at all. Thats par for the course we have been on for 50+ years.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: blackangst1
It will end when we have a multi party government IMHO. Until then, its all partisan.

I did my part to vote third party last November, did you?

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
It will end when we have a multi party government IMHO. Until then, its all partisan.

x2. Contrary to what the OP states, not all right-leaning posters "didn't seem to have a problem" with the Bush deficits. That's one of the first things that soured me on his presidency, and he caught plenty of fire from both the left and right for allowing the reckless spending of Congress.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

No, because there werent any third party candidates worth voting for IMHO.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
of course not all left or right hardcore are like this, but there are plenty around on here, other boards and real life.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Mursilis

x2. Contrary to what the OP states, not all right-leaning posters "didn't seem to have a problem" with the Bush deficits. That's one of the first things that soured me on his presidency, and he caught plenty of fire from both the left and right for allowing the reckless spending of Congress.

X3

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Heh the sentiment should actually be very opposite - yields on treasury notes were high when dubbya went on a cok...err spending binge. Right now treasury yields are in their historical lows, which means borrowing (deficit) is cheap. You should be outraged at 5+%, not 0% apr

JACKDRUID

Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: retrospooty

I mean, I know we need to do something, but hte pork in that bill makes me sick. That isnt change at all. Thats par for the course we have been on for 50+ years.

so what are those porks in the bill? care to point them out?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I never really had a problem with deficit spending by the fed govt provided it is within a small % 1-2.5% of GDP during a time of growth. Bush got out of control, especially at the end. And now Obama is taking it to a new level.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
I never really had a problem with deficit spending by the fed govt provided it is within a small % 1-2.5% of GDP during a time of growth. Bush got out of control, especially at the end. And now Obama is taking it to a new level.

This. Stop the madness :(

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
We had policies of deregulation that resulted in banks running amok and bankrupting themselves, which resulted in a huge economic mess that needs to be cleaned up. So it's not hypocrisy, circumstances change.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

As has been explained on here repeatedly, the problem with Bush's deficit spending was that we got nothing for it. I've never had a problem with deficit spending as a concept, I have had a problem with Bush putting us in a hole for illegal wars and tax cuts for the rich.

All you've done is taken a complex issue and oversimplified it to make a ridiculous point. In fact, I should make a thread about how half the trolling threads in ATPN are people taking complex issues and oversimplifying them to make ridiculous points... because it's every bit as big a problem here as the one you're trying to describe.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Was it really all Bush's spending, just like is all the "stimulus" Obama's spending? I don't think so.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002

Yes, I did...and this is the start to making some positive changes that will actually work...that and limiting terms for all areas of elected and appointed officials. No more 30 year incumbents..wonder why things do not change?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Was it really all Bush's spending, just like is all the "stimulus" Obama's spending? I don't think so.

Well since Bush never vetoed a spending bill and never vetoed a war appropriations bill, yes I would consider it his spending. They all had his signature on it. (yes I know he vetoed some Iraq war bills, but only to promote an alternate version with equal spending). The same goes for Obama, he signed em. When Congress passes something over the president's veto, maybe then it won't be his.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy

As has been explained on here repeatedly, the problem with Bush's deficit spending was that we got nothing for it. I've never had a problem with deficit spending as a concept, I have had a problem with Bush putting us in a hole for illegal wars and tax cuts for the rich.

All you've done is taken a complex issue and oversimplified it to make a ridiculous point. In fact, I should make a thread about how half the trolling threads in ATPN are people taking complex issues and oversimplifying them to make ridiculous points... because it's every bit as big a problem here as the one you're trying to describe.

Then you should be just as outraged that Obama is continuing the war madness as though Bush were still office ;)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Then you should be just as outraged that Obama is continuing the war madness as though Bush were still office ;)

Trust me, had Bush pledged to end the war in Iraq within a reasonable time frame and shifted those resources to Afghanistan (you know, the place that actually attacked us), I would have been an awfully happy camper. I'd love if anyone could find a single post I've made that was against the war in Afghanistan.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Trust me, had Bush pledged to end the war in Iraq within a reasonable time frame and shifted those resources to Afghanistan (you know, the place that actually attacked us), I would have been an awfully happy camper. I'd love if anyone could find a single post I've made that was against the war in Afghanistan.

IIRC he had a 3 year pull out timetable. Same as Obamas pretty much.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

What you're missing is that the Republicans were in favor of deficit *spending* (and tax cut borrowing) while Democrats are now in favor of 'save the system' borrowing.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

IIRC he had a 3 year pull out timetable. Same as Obamas pretty much.

You mean when he said it was okay to have 'aspirational time horizons' of three years? Sorry, but that's not even close. Obama has floated several plans, from his original 16 month version to a longer one that would be 2 years... and those are for withdrawal, not an 'aspirational time horizon' that means nothing and constrains no one. Even at Obama's worst, Bush's plan was still 50% longer and with no commitment.

Sorry if I wasn't impressed by it.