The hypocrisy of the LA transit union

HaVoC

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
This LA transit workers union strike just disgusts me. Conventional knee-jerk liberal thinking will tell one (an uneducated one at that) that the unions are "for the common man" to fight corporate greed and injustice. HAHAHA.

Consider this: 60% of the half-million or so riders of the MTA system are below the poverty line for household incomes! According to the LA local NBC news, the transit workers striking make on AVERAGE, $50,000 a year with the figure going as high as $80,000 a year including overtime. One of the big issues is that the union wants the MTA to continue to pay them 2 hours of overtime everyday, REGARDLESS of whether they are actually operating a vehicle. Jeez, I guess I was pretty stupid to go to college...I should have joined the union and went to LA. I'd be make a lot more for a lot less work. :p

To me, this strike is all about abuse of collective bargaining power and greed with the unions. The MTA simply cannot afford to pay them with the current compensation scale and expand desperately needed services in LA. The people most affected by the strike are those who have NO OTHER practical means of transportation. Invalids are missing doctors' appointments. Children are missing days of school.

All you bleeding-heart liberals have a new cause to champion--the GREEDY TRANSIT UNION!

HaVoC

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Well, I try to make a controversial, thought-provoking thread and it gets ditched to the bottom within an hour. :p

Russ, hows about some nice conservative commentary on this?

Shazam

Golden Member
Dec 15, 1999
You boys know what the cost of living is in LA? $50K is BARELY above liveable there!!

HaVoC

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< You boys know what the cost of living is in LA? $50K is BARELY above liveable there!! >>

Please...don't give me that. I've been to L.A. and aside from the expensive housing in the suburb non-impoverished areas and gas prices, everything else is pretty much on parity with the rest of the U.S. I guess all the transit workers want to live in Pacific Palisades.

The majority of the poor who are most affected by the strike are living at or below the poverty line which is $14,400/year. I guess that is BARELY-BARELY livable then eh?