The HTC One

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by dguy6789, Feb 19, 2013.

1. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

I should say, their use of plastic is uninspiring. Nokia and HTC have used similar materials with far better results.

As for sales, I'm really referring to this year, in which case the Galaxy S IV better not be a GS III design rehash.

2. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

but that's not what gives good battery life. When people are talking about multitasking it doesn't mean their Angry Birds is running in the background using 100% CPU.

3. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

I think you're focusing on the wrong thing. Plastic doesn't matter. Marketing and specs matter. Samsung had better marketing and better spec phones in every generation compared to HTC. This HTC One phone while nice is nothing special. It's jack of all trade and master of none. All high end phones this year will have similar or better spec. All Samsung has to do to beat this phone is to release GS4 with 3,000 mah removable battery. Then it will be game over again for HTC. HTC only hope is that Samsung can't yet make 5" or less 1080p S-AMOLED screen.

4. MrX8503

MrX8503 Diamond Member

Samsung could release another plastic GS4 and it would still sell well. The majority of people don't care about plastic.

My personal preference is metal. Partly the reason why I own an iPhone and why I think the HTC One looks good.

5. lopri

lopri Elite Member

After looking at a few more pictures, the convex of the back isn't so bad. Nowhere near as bad as Lumia's. I think I can live with that and overall the hardware looks great.

[​IMG]

6. s44

s44 Diamond Member

I always liked that iPhone 3G/S shape...

The front of this thing, OTOH... the dual grilles and two-tone of the silver just look incoherent (well, and ripped off from the Z10). Not nearly as pretty as the white One X. Hiding it all under black is probably the better bet, but I wonder if that will have the painted-aluminum issues some have had with the i5.

7. Wingznut

Wingznut Elite Member

Have you held one of the new HTC phones? I have a DNA, and it feels so comfortable to hold. The shape makes it feel much thinner than it actually is.

8. Dari

Dari Lifer

I never saw a single HTC commercial last year. Granted, I only watched ABC World News and football games on Sunday. But, when watching tv, I saw plenty of Samsung and Apple commercials. HTC better step up their marketing game or it's game over for them...

9. aeroxmax4

aeroxmax4 Member

i loved the One X!! i could try this one too...

10. lopri

lopri Elite Member

Yeah I have. That's why I initially questioned whether the design was more technology limited or ergonomic focused. Rubbery/silicon material definitely helps with grips on those phones (and Nokia's).

Still, my personal preference is, parallel lines between front and back. (curved corners and edges are good)

11. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Platinum Member

This. It's a marketing game unfortunately as both Samsung and Apple have clearly demonstrated. You have to avoid terrible marketing like what Microsoft often does though.

12. PingviN

PingviN Golden Member

Phone looks sweet as hell, but the new Sense icons are horrendous and BlinkFeed looks terrible. It's nice to see a non-plastic flagship phone that isn't an iPhone.

13. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

Now that I think of it, wireless charging is kinda missing.... but this really depends on how Samsung will embrace the technology. I think we're at the cusp of it taking off, kinda like not having LTE in 2012 was ok, but in 2013, you have to make LTE phones (I'm looking at you Nexus 2013).

HTC might be able to get away with this one, but as more and more phones move to that area, it would be nice. I guess I'm just saying this because I'd like for my $60 spent at the Google Play store to be worth it :D

14. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

That will be one of the exclusive features of the HTC One+, due to be released in October. :p

Wait, you bought that overpriced Google wireless charging unit? :eek:

15. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

With what money? They're at break even right now, so if they dump a lot of money into a big ad campaign they're probably going to be in the red for a quarter or two and Wall Street would flip over something like that. Never mind the tech press that would start writing gloom and doom articles to cash in on the page views it would bring.

16. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

Oh dear. More mid-cycle rehashes by HTC. I'm sure the early adopters can't wait!

Yeah... I'm probably stupid, but I think the orb is pretty good looking. I probably sound more like a typical Apple consumer for buying something so overpriced, but even the other Qi mats have gone up in price. At the same time I'm hoping for other consumer phones to adopt wireless charging (not that I'll be upgrading until the next Nexus at the earliest), so that I don't have to fear this whole wireless charging thing as being a fad. Somehow I can see Google dropping the ball on this one as the N10 lacks wireless charging, and who knows if the next generation tablets will have it at all.

I think there's a few people on this board who jumped on and bought that thing. Anyway, given the N4's battery drain issues due to wakelock at the moment and my Ingress playing, I figure it'd be nice to have a wireless charger at work. Save the wearing out on the ports too. Yeah... probably not worth $60 though :D

Well HTC might be not doing so well in terms of cash and marketshare, but their phones are great phones. The press seemed to love the One series so far, and even last year's phones. We concluded this is an execution issue. So I wouldn't say they're in the same situation as Nokia and BB where their phones were completely out of touch with today's tech and just failing to catch anyone's attention.

17. lopri

lopri Elite Member

Wireless charging is an important hurdle to overcome in order for the smartphones to progress, IMO. I think the most likely innovation with smartphones will come with flexible glass that is also waterproof. (no, not smart watches) In order to get there, electrical traces should be physically eliminated from the phone. We're already there with data transfers, no-cord charging is now on its way. The final hurdle will be sound/speaker. I do not know how the tech companies will solve this puzzle but once sound is dealt with, a phone can be completely sealed off.

18. HexiumVII

HexiumVII Senior member

Maybe they should just call it Neo

19. Dari

Dari Lifer

Looks like HTC was "inspired" by Sony and Blackberry...

[​IMG]

20. Aganazer

Aganazer Member

Kinda sad that they haven't caught up to electric toothbrushes which have both wireless charging and are waterproof as a standard feature. =P

21. Blandge

Blandge Member

Is there any way I can get this phone on Verizon, even if I have to pay full price?

22. ImDonly1

ImDonly1 Platinum Member

No, they are not offering it. They have the Droid DNA instead.
    At least that's what the current info suggests.

23. dlock13

dlock13 Platinum Member

I have a feeling that red HTC One picture "slip" was secretly the Verizon One, but VZW wants to wait and let people know that they have an "exclusive" One with wireless charging.

Anyone? Am I right or am I right?

24. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

Yes, they were inspired by a phone that launched mere weeks ago. It was an incredibly task for HTCs engineers to slavishly copy RIM's new phone and turn out a device ready for production in a matter of weeks. It also looks nothing like the Sony outside of putting a camera dead center (which loads of other phones have done before) and the stripes (again other phones have had this style) which are styled quite differently. And the only way it's at all similar to the iPhone is looking at the side trim from the front. And that's it because the rest of the front view is vastly different.

Seems more like coincidence.

25. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

Too much internal memory, you won't have to stream and use data, therefore Verizon not interested.

I eat 10GB month on my DNA and my phone bill is $69 month. FU VZW