The HTC One

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
So, what are the odds of this getting KLP before Christmas?

(And don't say "CM11". The proprietary camera module alone is going to be a killer.)
I think it would as long as KLP is released by Google July or earlier.
HTC is "meh" with Android updates. They are far from being the worst like LG is.

Does the Optimus G even have Jellybean yet?

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Does the Optimus G even have Jellybean yet?
Nope, which given the Nexus 4 is pretty unbelievable.

The more I look at the One, the more I'm offended that HTC took away perfectly useful multitask/menu button space to stick in their stupid logo. Verizon-esque.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006

The more I look at the One, the more I'm offended that HTC took away perfectly useful multitask/menu button space to stick in their stupid logo. Verizon-esque.

They probably got their design cues from Verizon. (I'm looking at you Note 2 with VZW plastered on the freaking home button)

Also, I guarantee this phone will get a proper review before the DNA. Go Anandtech! That makes perfect sense!

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Verizon has just announced that they will carry the HTC One. Here's the pic.

original.jpg

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004

What I don't understand is why, if they're so insistent on having their logo there, they didn't just make the HTC logo the home button and the multitask button on the right.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
What I don't understand is why, if they're so insistent on having their logo there, they didn't just make the HTC logo the home button and the multitask button on the right.

That's far too sensible.

It makes you wonder what sort of focus groups they use in the development of the phones really. (not just talking about HTC here)

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
I was thinking the same exact thing. I don't understand the logic there. At least it'll be a functional logo that makes sense.... Here's looking at you again Verizon Note 2...

Silenus

Mar 11, 2008
I'm another one that just doesn't get the button layout. Really HTC? An almost perfect phone and you just have to muck it up by moving the home button? Ugh. Everyone's suggestion as too making HTC logo home button and task switcher to the right like it should be makes so much more sense that it boggles the mind it got through the design phase like it did.

Buttons aside though....this is by far the most exciting phone I've seen for sure since my Gnex. I'm a photography person and it is hugely refreshing to FINALLY see someone other than Nokia putting in some serious camera tech. Totally the right decision to drop the MP's and go pixel quality. I can't wait to see photo samples from this phone.

Feb 19, 2001
im not digging the look as much as the original HTC One.

However they definitely learned their lesson and went with 32gb/64gb. I hope Google gets the message with their next Nexus.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Just wanna point out since it seems like it was missed: The Snapdragon in this phone is faster clock per clock than the Snapdragon S4 that is used in all of the current phones.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
im not digging the look as much as the original HTC One.

However they definitely learned their lesson and went with 32gb/64gb. I hope Google gets the message with their next Nexus.

Then people will complain that the next Nexus is too expensive.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
Just wanna point out since it seems like it was missed: The Snapdragon in this phone is faster clock per clock than the Snapdragon S4 that is used in all of the current phones.

I noticed that but it's less interesting to me than the battery life and the GPU's power.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
I noticed that but it's less interesting to me than the battery life and the GPU's power.

Honestly, I really want to know what that battery life is going to be. It's bigger than what's in the DNA with (I'm assuming) more power optimizations. I can really, REALLY see this guy lasting a full 2 days off the charger with moderate use.

However, in typical HTC style, I can see them dropping the ball so hard here. :/

Feb 19, 2001
Then people will complain that the next Nexus is too expensive.

Then they can continue to make an 8gb and 16gb if that's what people want. Google already decided to cut prices to extreme levels by going 299/349. if they can do it with every other spec being top notch, they can easily go 16gb/32gb at least which was what i asked for in the launch thread without too much increased costs.

I get it, people appreciate cheap, but at what point do you continue sacrificing specs? If Google released the Nexus as a quad core A9 people would still would've been happy at that price point. But we lucked out and got some amazing top of the line flagship status on all points except storage and possibly LTE.

Let's hope this camera thing is good though. The last time we "dropped MPs" with the Galaxy Nexus, we ended with something that shot worse than any of the 8MP shooters released earlier that year (SGS2, HTC Sensation). And while the HTC One X was marketed with huge camera capabilities, it didn't really blow anyone out of the water as the SGS3 still won out. Granted any of these cameras outshoot the LG Nexus 4 though... lol.

Last edited:

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
That's far too sensible.

It makes you wonder what sort of focus groups they use in the development of the phones really. (not just talking about HTC here)

Ones that get ignored in favor of the marketing morons in cahoots with the carriers to add obnoxious logos wherever they can.

Feb 19, 2001
Given how popular the SGS phones are with their center home button, and how Google's nav bar has the home button center, I don't see why anyone would put the Home button somewhere else...

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
Given how popular the SGS phones are with their center home button, and how Google's nav bar has the home button center, I don't see why anyone would put the Home button somewhere else...

People are pretty stupid with their need to "differentiate".

It always pops ups for the most asinine things.

For example, my province (BC in Canada) decided to put their new Family Day holiday one week earlier than all the other provinces as well as one week ahead of President's Day in the States for no other reason than to be "unique".

So many glaring problems have popped up because of this.

Feb 19, 2001
People are pretty stupid with their need to "differentiate".

It always pops ups for the most asinine things.

For example, my province (BC in Canada) decided to put their new Family Day holiday one week earlier than all the other provinces as well as one week ahead of President's Day in the States for no other reason than to be "unique".

So many glaring problems have popped up because of this.

Well Samsung differentiated with the physical home button and a 3 button layout when people were going with 4 button layouts. They ran with that for 2 years, and despite Google using a different 3 button layout, they're still sticking with it. I think in some cases you can make it work.

But like another poster said.... I wonder what kind of focus groups they run for these things. Google clearly has a plethora of issues, and in general HTC's done a good job, but this strikes me as odd.

Anyhow, I think HTC's done a superb job with hardware for the past few years. It's sad that they're falling so hard. If the Nokia 920 can bring a turnaround, I don't see why this phone can't. They're executing where Nokia didn't, and that's in designing good phones. It's the marketing that's lacking.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
I owned the HTC One X the day it was released last may all the way up until I destroyed it by trying to noobishly replace the screen myself. Man I LOVED that phone despite the weak storage.

So then I used my dad's Galaxy S3 that he had sitting around idle because he got a Note II. This phone was pretty nice and I really liked the home button. In fact, the only problem I had with it was that it seemed like its brightness was capped at 50% of what the HOX could achieve. After looking into this, I was dealing with SAMOLED. I walk around in the daylight a LOT and it made it really hard to use. Besides the screen, what a great phone.

After I found a cheap Optimus G on craigslist for about $300 I returned the GS3 to my dad and started using the G. So far I like the phone a lot but it just doesnt FEEL like the HOX. Did I mention how cool it was adding a $50 64GB SD card to this phone to have 80GB of storage?

Now the HTC One (M7) looks perfect..

The HOX had an 1800mah battery which I never felt limited by, and this phone has one that is 2300mah which is about 30% larger. With a revised snapdragon chipset I bet this thing will have great battery life. Storage options look great.

BUT WHY THE HOME BUTTON? MAYBE in practice its easy to get used to.. or maybe theres a hidden way to make the htc-logo clickable.. after all.. its one big digitizer covering the front right?

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
It looks like an iPhone 5. I like it.

I also like that its a little smaller than 5", but still packed a 1080p screen in there. Hopefully this is HTC's answer.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I do not think this phone is going to save them. There's a reason why I haven't bought an HTC phone since the original Incredible (which was promptly returned). There's always something with their phones.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
Well, at least we know what one of the _somethings_ is early this time around (I agree with your sentiment). The stupid button arrangement in the front is already annoying. I wonder how else HTC will mess up.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Tiny battery is the only real issue I see but it's a deal breaker for me. I'd never use this over my Razr Maxx HD. Can't say I'd ever upgrade to a phone with a smaller than 3000mah battery now. Thankfully the SGS4 is rumored to have one.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
After enduring my Note1, I've decided that the battery life will be the first metric for my new phone. I figure everyone will have fast SoC's and slow updates so I might as well have a phone that will be working when I want it to.

If only they sold Maxx's in Canada.