the HENRY class - High Earners, Not Rich Yet

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by BlahBlahYouToo, May 3, 2010.

1. BlahBlahYouToo

While I don't make quite that much, I can sympathize.
    obama is punishing the hard workers, the risk takers (small business owners), that generate jobs and incomes for others.

2. Vette73

Vette73 Lifer

Really. Tell me how they pay a lot more now due to direct actions of Obama?

"HENRYs were so squeezed between their big expenses"

Damm Obama making them keep up with the Jones.

3. yllus

yllus Lifer<BR>Elite Member

Are you putting this "unfair burden" into perspective? Raising tax rates sucks as an absolute rule, but it's nothing America hasn't weathered before. Plus it's not like the debt your taxes are going towards just magically appeared on the books one day. This is your bill coming due.

[​IMG]

4. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

Tax increases signed into law on the health care bill just to start. Plus his numerous marriage penalty taxes where two people pay a lot more filing jointly than if they were single.

Then there is the proposed elimination of

1) HCE limit on social security
    2) Mortgage interest deduction
    3) Charitable donation deduction
    4) Tax cuts to sunset
    5) No fix to AMT

5. Tom

Tom Lifer

They oughta pay more than people who make less, and less than people who make more.

Which by and large is the case, except for welfare for the very rich, like lower taxes on dividends.

Other than that, we have to pay for the government we have. The one category where we could have saved money was interest on the debt, which is why I felt the Bush tax cuts were so foolish, should have used surplus if there was one to reduce debt.

There's no will to really reduce spending, and for the most part reducing spending would be counter productive.

#5 Tom, May 3, 2010
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
  6. BlahBlahYouToo

the proposed tax increases for $250k and up earners?

why should their money that they worked hard for be distributed to others instead of being used towards a better life for their kids (private schools, etc) and themselves?

why should they be penalized for working harder/smarter and making more money generally speaking?

7. Ldir

Ldir Platinum Member

Which marriage taxes did Obama pass? Why didn't Bush and the Republicans fix AMT? They had years. Why isn't that Bush's fault?

8. palehorse

palehorse Lifer

I'm guessing that you won't get much sympathy around here for anyone that falls into this HENRY/HENRI category -- too many posters here believe that anyone earning that much is evul and more privileged than necessary. The fact that they earned it through extensive and difficult educations, and extremely hard work, won't matter one bit. To many of our resident morons, $250k/yr is just the same as $250 million.

The envy around here is too great to tolerate such success.

Bet?

9. Doc Savage Fan

Damn good question! This should have been fixed long ago and no President has had the guts to do so...hope Obama keeps his promise on this one.

10. blackangst1

blackangst1 Lifer

Great. We have another class.

11. Tom

Tom Lifer

There money isn't going to others, it's buying nuclear subs, checking peanuts for lice, curing cancer, etc.

They aren't being penalized, they're being saved.

12. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

Most every tax policy he states and has been made law has 200K for single, 250K for married. That's a marriage penalty.

Off the top of my head I'm almost positive the health care law made the capital gains tax increases on 200K single, 250K married. That's a marriage penalty.

Two white collar professionals can easily top the 250K mark and are getting slammed because of Obama.

-edit-
    AMT gets worse over time to the point now that it's bullshit.

#12 spidey07, May 3, 2010
  13. Vette73

Vette73 Lifer

Wait, proposed? So in other words Obama has not done anything. Yet you nutty right wingers still want to blame him yet Bush and Republicans had 6+ years of control and did not fix the AMTor other areas? But its Obamas fault?

14. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

You're conveniently leaving out the tax increases with the healthcare law.

15. Deeko

Deeko Lifer

Good. I'm sick of being punished for renting.

16. Vette73

Vette73 Lifer

What the capital gains tax increases you brought up? You mean the ones that even W.Buffet says allows him and other super rich to pay less tax then his secretary.

17. palehorse

palehorse Lifer

Both are at fault.

next?

18. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

As long as it's not your bull getting gored, eh?

19. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

The medicare tax of like 4&#37; that's added to capital gains. Then again since it doesn't affect you you're fine with stealing others hard earned money. All the shit Obama has been doing with taxes does affect me, why do you think I know so much about his tax increases and rail against him? Because his policy affects my daily life.

You'll change your tune when it's your bull getting gored.

#20 spidey07, May 3, 2010
  20. Deeko

Deeko Lifer

hah. I'm sub-henry, but thanks to my status as someone that makes a decent income, is single, rents, has no kids, etc, I get it pretty bad from the current tax code. The biggest break I would get - student loan interest (I paid $4800 in interest last year) - I am not eligible for. When I filed this year, the program shows stats for your income range. I was at the very bottom of this 100k range - and yet my federal income tax paid for 2009 was about 10&#37; higher than the average for said range.

I'm already being gored, so might as well just let that continue, eh? I bet a lot of those henrys pay a lower % tax than I do.

21. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

Why do you think I got married?
    :D

But honestly, we took a long hard look at it and in some ways tax wise it was better for us to stay single (all of obama's marriage penalties), but in other aspects it was better. As a single making good money, yeah you are getting raked over.

#22 spidey07, May 3, 2010
  22. Vette73

Vette73 Lifer

Actually me and my wife are in the 100-200k salary range. As per totalnoob's post, are in a higher percent then the HENRY group. Difference is I live in by my means. I don't keep up with the Jones and cry when a small tax subset goes up.
    Let alone be a whinny racist like you because the &#8220;Black man is holding me down&#8230;&#8221;

#23 Vette73, May 3, 2010
  23. Deeko

Deeko Lifer

Oh I ran the numbers, if I married my girlfriend our combined tax burden would have been roughly $4,000 less last year.

24. BlahBlahYouToo

fair tax.
    QED