the hell is the point of all this?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
I take an existential and nihilistic view of it. It's meaningless in the grand scheme of things but because it's meaningless, you are free to do whatever you want. But I truly believe that it takes some serious introspection to know your own essence and how you really want to live (I don't subscribe to getting married, buy house, etc.).

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I take an existential and nihilistic view of it. It's meaningless in the grand scheme of things but because it's meaningless, you are free to do whatever you want. But I truly believe that it takes some serious introspection to know your own essence and how you really want to live (I don't subscribe to getting married, buy house, etc.).
But despite your nihilistic tendencies you still want zee money?

The "American Dream" typically includes not only a house and spouse, but kids. The home ownership provides a hub and financial security in your later years by reducing expenses (no rent). You also have something of value you can pass on to your kids and give them a leg up. Love between family members is pretty awesome and seeing a baby come into this world can change your views quickly. At the same time, it's one of those things....for those who don't have a baby, you never truly know what you're missing. The idea isn't even close to the reality of it and perhaps your world is no longer open for you to roam out of love and responsibility.

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
But despite your nihilistic tendencies you still want zee money?

The "American Dream" typically includes not only a house and spouse, but kids. The home ownership provides a hub and financial security in your later years by reducing expenses (no rent). You also have something of value you can pass on to your kids and give them a leg up. Love between family members is pretty awesome and seeing a baby come into this world can change your views quickly. At the same time, it's one of those things....for those who don't have a baby, you never truly know what you're missing. The idea isn't even close to the reality of it and perhaps your world is no longer open for you to roam out of love and responsibility.
No, I am not interested in making money or being rich. I worked enough years hoarding money and eventually figured out that it would probably outlive me so why not use it for something now? So been out on the road since quitting my job. And yeah those values sound nice but only if you want them. I'm sure my life would be enhanced in a paramount way if I had a kid but I'm 99% sure I don't want to bring him/her into this world. So for now, I'm being a selfish prick and enhancing my own life and view of how I'm living it. And I'm never looking back 😎

Reactions: OILFIELDTRASH

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
No, I am not interested in making money or being rich. I worked enough years hoarding money and eventually figured out that it would probably outlive me so why not use it for something now? So been out on the road since quitting my job. And yeah those values sound nice but only if you want them. I'm sure my life would be enhanced in a paramount way if I had a kid but I'm 99% sure I don't want to bring him/her into this world. So for now, I'm being a selfish prick and enhancing my own life and view of how I'm living it. And I'm never looking back 😎
Lol....that was supposed to be a Big Lebowski reference.

Good for you. I don't know how much money I need to hoard. I'm starting to ramp up my savings now, but don't know what goal I should shoot for.... $1M? 2?
Trying to get the house paid off and work towards walking out too.

May 13, 2009
I don't know. My experiences point to there being something greater than us out there. Where? No clue. What? No idea. It's very possible we are nothing more than an entertainment/science experiment for a super advanced species. Maybe we aren't even real to begin with? Computer simulation.
I'm also willing to accept we are nothing more than apes that evolved from millions of years of evolution taking place.
I wish there were a way to know more but I think our minds are in a prison of sorts not meant to fully understand what is happening.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The point for me is to travel as much as I can and see as much of the underwater life as possible while raising a healthy and happy family. Covid has really put a damper on the traveling part for me though.

May 13, 2009
No, I am not interested in making money or being rich. I worked enough years hoarding money and eventually figured out that it would probably outlive me so why not use it for something now? So been out on the road since quitting my job. And yeah those values sound nice but only if you want them. I'm sure my life would be enhanced in a paramount way if I had a kid but I'm 99% sure I don't want to bring him/her into this world. So for now, I'm being a selfish prick and enhancing my own life and view of how I'm living it. And I'm never looking back
Fucking hippies.. JK

I think you figured it out man. Don't let these aholes take everything from you to enhance their own lives. I'm with you on the whole kid thing. This is a screwed up place to bring a life into.

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
[Resuming neffing.]

What is the point of all this? I pondered even as a child - It boggled my mind that we don't know where we came from - scientifically or just asking anyone on earth 'where did we come from?'

I thought it was maddening that adults carried on with meaningless stuff like work and businesses when we didn't even know where we came from.