The Health yo-yo [Running/Peloton]

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
About 8 years ago I decided to take my health seriously and lost a bunch of weight by eating properly and running on a very regular basis. I started entering races and doing pretty well for an older guy. Got my 5k time to a point I was really happy! Felt great, looked OK. It took 4 years to get to that point. Decided to build out a home gym to supplement the cardio with lifting (rack, bench, barbell and weights, landmine attachment). Then as I was training for a Ragnar, got rear-ended while driving to work.

Car was totaled. Minor concussion. Neck pain. Soon afterwards my left knee really started giving me grief. Docs though I may have jammed it in the accident and I stayed off it for a while... got an MRI, basically found out that I had some hereditary thing and it would only really get worse. Then I found out my dad had terminal mesothelioma in his abdomen and I stopped caring about a lot of stuff.

Didn't take doctor advice. Gained all the weight back... Tried getting a Peloton and loved it but my knee started hurting again. Then this year (about 4 years after diagnosis) he passed. I'm still pretty distressed, but that's another topic. Finally went back to the Doc to try and get out of the funk and get healthy again with the bike. He gave me a cortisone shot a week ago and ordered a new MRI. It was my first cortisone shot and wow did it work wonders. Was able to walk around 40 miles through Disney and only got fatigued.

Hoping to keep going with the peloton starting soon again and maybe begin slowly jogging. If anyone wants to add me on the Peloton, I'm GLOBNAR. Wish me luck, I just keep getting older.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Oh, one thing I'm not sure what to do is how to also re-start lifting. I guess I'll probably bench, squat, row, shoulder press with just the bar because I lost plenty of muscle.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
A car accident is what woke me up to the issue of muscles being "knotted up". That was 8 years ago.

Therapists can help in certain respects if they are very skilled, but most massages wind up being superficial. The real technique is trigger point.

About three years ago, I got a laceration on the pinky knuckle, and the real damage was dealt from having to keep that arm still, which then tightened up all of the forearm muscles.

Only in the past couple weeks did I finally get to applying techniques to get my forearm back. My stamina in doing basic pushups or holding things is very lacking if I do not address it.

Muscles like being worked but both overwork and lack of work causes them to tighten up.

If you give a particular muscle a good squeeze or press and it feels rock hard, that is a tight muscle in need of loosening.