Question The HDDs detected as Portable Devices after Update Bios And Win10-1903

Warcraft

Sep 26, 2019
Hello.
i have ryzen 1800x + MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
actually i'm not sure if its bios problem or win10 new update 1903 problem or amd chipset driver problem !
because i did update these three options (bios + amd chipset driver + win 10 build 1903) all together in one hour.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and after several restarts i realised two of my internal hard Drives (TOSHIBA 2TB+ Seagate 500GB)SATA 3&4 have known As Portable devices in taskbar.(they are both under ASmedia 106x controler chip)
i did disable Hot plug into Bios (didn't help)
and also i disabled (usb legacy) didn't help either

msi.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1- i'm seeing 3 SATA Controller in Device Manager Now !!!
------------------------------------------
2- for some reason SATA 3&4 Under ASmedia 106x SATA Controller have detected as External Devices in task bar
3- SATA 1&2 which are under Msi b350 chip controller (detected normaly as internal drives)
4- what must i do to windows 10 Detects my HDDs as normal internal Devises ?
microsoft.png

Billy Tallis

Aug 4, 2015
There's usually more than one BIOS setting for SATA hot-swap support. It'll be either one per SATA port, or one per SATA controller (meaning one for the chipset and one for the extra ASMedia controller).

Warcraft

Sep 26, 2019
There's usually more than one BIOS setting for SATA hot-swap support. It'll be either one per SATA port, or one per SATA controller (meaning one for the chipset and one for the extra ASMedia controller).
thank you for replay.
well. i have looked all over new Bios . and checked tabs 1 by 1
and also i did change lots of options related to sata or storages .but i got same result.
i have not found any ASmedia or similar in BIOS.
what do you suggest ? any special option you mean ?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There's a tool called "Hotswap!" (including the exclamation point in the name), by a Japanese programmer, and it is usually used to Enable HotSwap functionality, but I might try installing it, and seeing if it has a feature to Disable HotSwap-ability on a drive-by-drive basis.

There might be a Registry setting for CurrentControlSet to disable HotSwap capability on a per-device basis too.

Have you look inside the Disk properties in Device Manager, and change it from "optimize for quick removal" to the other option?

Reactions: Warcraft

Warcraft

Sep 26, 2019
There's a tool called "Hotswap!" (including the exclamation point in the name), by a Japanese programmer, and it is usually used to Enable HotSwap functionality, but I might try installing it, and seeing if it has a feature to Disable HotSwap-ability on a drive-by-drive basis.

There might be a Registry setting for CurrentControlSet to disable HotSwap capability on a per-device basis too.

Have you look inside the Disk properties in Device Manager, and change it from "optimize for quick removal" to the other option?
Thank you for replay.
yes i found that registery your said(about disable HotSwap capability on a per-device )
but every time i restars windows. the binaries jump to what they were before
i chechek device manager Disk properties (they all are on better performance-default)
i'm struggling this issue for more than 1 week.
and i've done all of these solution through google searching. unfortunately didn't work .
what ever this is it might be a Bios Bug i believe.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Used the be a setting for drives to be in AHCI mode or "comparability" mode in BIOS's, AHCI mode would typically enable what you're seeing. No idea if newer products follow a similar thing.