The Hardware stages...

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
Ya know when you're going to try and figure out what to get via research? For example you've got a $300 budget and you're looking for the best item out there but know next to nothing about it? Well here is the stages one goes through (at least I do)

Stage 1. Google the item, check out forums, getting exposed
Stage 2. List of Potential Items
Stage 3. Asking for help, trying to get advice and googling some more
Stage 4. Narrowing it down, you've got only a few items and each has it's pros and cons, you're getting ready to buy but are deciding which is better
Stage 5. Asking on a forum and more googling on which to choose
Stage 6. Being introduced to another item you've never seen before and never knew about, it meets all your needs and is more than you could've asked for
Stage 7. Buying, you go and ask some more on whether you should get it and you finally buy it.

The 7 stages.

:D

Aug 16, 2001
This what I do:

1. Read forums
2. Set budget and multiply by 1.5
3. Ask stupid questions on forum
4. Buy
5. Assemble
6. Ask more stupid questions - get flamed
7. ...
8. Profit (yeah right)

krotchy

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
This what I do:

1. Read forums
2. Set budget and multiply by 1.5
3. Ask stupid questions on forum
4. Buy
5. Assemble
6. Ask more stupid questions - get flamed
7. ...
8. Profit (yeah right)

You clearly forgot stealing underpants!

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
If i know next to nothing about what i want to buy, why would i want to buy it in the first place?

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
1. Read forums
2. Read real benchmarks
3. Compare prices versus benchmarks to find the best value for hardware
4. Read forums on best value hardware selections
5. Purchase
6. Perfect system for less than $1000 is assembled, done

My latest computer I built a year ago for about $1000, it can still play any game on the highest graphics settings. I invested in a Socket 939 motherboard so I can upgrade the processor if I want to later.

bondboy

Apr 2, 2005
Mine:

1. Read hot deals
2. Find something I don't need/want.
3. Buy it.
4. Goto step 1.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
!. Buy something I don't understand.
2. Try to install it.
3. Come to forum asking why is won't install.
4. Point out that I have a soldering iron and a pair of alligator clips and there must be a way to make it work and ask why folks are holding back on me.
5. Take item back to store.
6. Post rant on forum about how store won't take item back just because I soldered an alligator clip to the USB port.

letdown427

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
1. Google/AT/Read reviews for ages and ages
2. Learn about the entire market from step 1
3. Compare benchmarks/reviews/eventually price
4. Buy
5. Install and boot PC
6. Notice on internet that actually, the part I just bought is :sh!t, soon to be obsolete, prone to terminal problems, all of these
7. Get somewhat down about the whole PC thing
8. Character + 1pt

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
Originally posted by: pyonir
If i know next to nothing about what i want to buy, why would i want to buy it in the first place?

I need about a $1000 sound system but I know next to nothing on not only audio equpiment (brand reconition at least) and how to pair a system together to what would make sense (reciever and speakers in same league)

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Philippine Mango

I need about a $1000 sound system but I know next to nothing on not only audio equpiment (brand reconition at least) and how to pair a system together to what would make sense (reciever and speakers in same league)

but you are 13.. :roll:

HermDogg

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2004
1. Go to Woot to find BOC
2. Get pissed because there is no BOC
3. Ponder whether in fact I DO need two blenders.
4. Open up iTMS, desperately try to find something I want to listen to.
5. Surf over to Amazon, buy the first thing they reccommend.
6. Joke's on them, I've got Amazon Prime for free for a few months, free two-day shipping! Suckers!
7. Amazon = Profit!

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
Originally posted by: MustangSVT
Originally posted by: Philippine Mango

but you are 13.. :roll:

:confused:
That statement makes no sense what so ever. Even if I WAS 13 who is to say that I wouldn't be looking for a sound system? Infact I believe I got my first sound system when I WAS 13! :laugh: But seriously though, before my dad bought my first sound system as a kid, I was around 11 or 12 and I had a system hooked up already, I just needed something better, thats all... (Had Old stereo that did "psuedo 5.1" so my dad upgraded me to true 5.1)