The Hammer is falling as the Insurrectionists are identified.

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The vast majority of the cases appear to be misdemeanors. Those folks will have served their time and paid their fines long before 2024.
Yes, although if Trump did somehow win I could totally see him retroactively pardoning them all.

The entire insurrection is a weird case in the idea that the overall outcome of the attack on the Capitol is a dire threat to democracy but the only laws we have that address individual conduct for the most part are trespassing and unlawful entry laws. There's no real 'trying to overthrow democracy' law that's going to apply to the vast majority of these people. Outside of the ones who actually attacked people and/or did the breaking in I'm not sure there should be. Like, how seriously should we punish someone for unlawful entry?

jp7794

Oct 5, 2020
When the intent of such unlawful entry is to overthrow the government then it is a coup and they should have been shot.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: outriding

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yes, although if Trump did somehow win I could totally see him retroactively pardoning them all.

The entire insurrection is a weird case in the idea that the overall outcome of the attack on the Capitol is a dire threat to democracy but the only laws we have that address individual conduct for the most part are trespassing and unlawful entry laws. There's no real 'trying to overthrow democracy' law that's going to apply to the vast majority of these people. Outside of the ones who actually attacked people and/or did the breaking in I'm not sure there should be. Like, how seriously should we punish someone for unlawful entry?

Depends on the intent of the unlawful entry. We do have a law about disrupting the orderly conduct of government which many were charged with.

jp7794

Oct 5, 2020
Extrajudicial execution sounds like a bad idea.
Meh, your opinion.

Seriously, if this was an armed robbery and someone was killed, then they would all be charged with murder for being a participant in the robbery. I feel this is much worse than an armed robbery.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Depends on the intent of the unlawful entry. We do have a law about disrupting the orderly conduct of government which many were charged with.
Sure, but my overall point is there really isn't some statute that's going to send the average member of the insurrection to prison for a long time.

Jul 9, 2009
Meh, your opinion.

Seriously, if this was an armed robbery and someone was killed, then they would all be charged with murder for being a participant in the robbery. I feel this is much worse than an armed robbery.

Really, how many of the protesters were "armed"

jp7794

Oct 5, 2020
Multiple. It is their 2nd amendment right. Just ask them.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
When the intent of such unlawful entry is to overthrow the government then it is a coup and they should have been shot.

Totally agree. It comes down to intent.

They brought weapons chanted for people to die stood up a hangman's noose.

quick google search says...

Assault with a deadly weapon with the intent to kill or inflict serious injury is a serious felony. If you are charged with intent to kill, this charge is a class C felony and will carry a significant period of time in prison if you are convicted. If your charge is the lesser version, you will be looking at an E Felony.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Meh, your opinion.

Yes, it is my opinion that extrajudicial killing is bad.

You mean the felony murder rule? That requires participation in the commission of a felony, which most of these people weren't doing.

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
Really, how many of the protesters were "armed"
Many of the insurrectionists were armed, go watch any number of the videos of that day and start counting. Of course being the bitch-boy you are you are just going to spew your propagandized bullshit so fuck off with you!

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
I'm not sure executions are warranted for any of these people but I wouldn't be against it if there is proof positive any were actually seeking violent overthrow of the government. I would like to see some severe punishments for anyone involved in actual violence or destruction on that day or in any riot situation. I saw plenty of video evidence of violent actors from that day and it should be a slam dunk for prosecutors, but I also saw plenty of trespassers who seemed to be just following the crowds while at least giving the appearance of respect.

An example should be made of everyone who illegally entered that building. Each case will need to be reviewed for the severity of their crimes but the punishments should be severe enough to deter this type of behavior in the future. I do feel the same for every violent or destructive actor who can be identified in any riot or protest situation.

jp7794

Oct 5, 2020

You mean the felony murder rule? That requires participation in the commission of a felony, which most of these people weren't doing.

But if one them them does they all get the same charges. Your most argument is bullshit.

Jul 9, 2009
a flagpole or stick does not fit the requirement of "armed robbery"

from your article ""This was a pretty heavily armed crew of people compared to what you usually see at protests," said Heidi Beirich, a co-founder of the Global Project Against Hate and Extremism. "

"Lorenzo Boyd, a former director of the Center for Advanced Policing at the University of New Haven, called attempts to downplay the deadliness of the weapons used on Jan. 6 a "false narrative."

Sounds like balanced reporting and sources....lol

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Sure, but my overall point is there really isn't some statute that's going to send the average member of the insurrection to prison for a long time.

IMO any unlawful entry into a government building with intent to disrupt/stop an official proceeding should be a felony. Without violence, not one which would necessarily entail a long sentence. Probably a year.

But that's not what's happening here. Most of these people are being charged with a misdemeanor as if this is just a simple trespass when it was a lot more than that.

Big difference between a felony and a misdemeanor. The felony means you lose your job and will have a hard time getting another.

Reactions: soundforbjt

jp7794

Oct 5, 2020
They weren't protests. It was coup. They should have all been shot. Clear enough for you?