The gun fear mongering has reached new highs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
That would be smell of napalm in the morning. It is the smell of victory.

Nope. Its the metallic tastes and smells of everything that are the best, after your sense glands are ionized by nuclear radiation :awe:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
There is a lot of shit I don't agree with, there are even things that would drive me to make a last stand in defense of my liberty and property left no other option. But I've never heard of a cop shooting down school children.

Even Chris Dorner was merciful and let civilians go and only targeted what he believed to be crooked cops and their families.

not school children. though they did shoot up a couple old women...

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I am not to surprised. I know at my children's school Elementary school the principal has been working with the local sheriff's department. The principal had to tell the parents several times that just because their is a patrol car parked out front of the school doesn't mean something bad happened. He has encouraged the deputies to come by and has made the front office available for them to stop by if they need a bathroom, someplace to sit and write reports or just some cold water. Seems like a good move by me.

OP's news article is from Fox so it is likely missing quite a large number of facts. But I'm wondering if your post points to the true impetus of the situation. School probably just didn't want kids/people seeing a cop car/cop at the school. Makes it look like something bad happened. Parents will overreact, "OH my god, I saw a police car at school and I couldn't get in touch with my child immediately via his Iphone because a teacher wouldn't let them use their phones in class!"

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
OP's news article is from Fox so it is likely missing quite a large number of facts. But I'm wondering if your post points to the true impetus of the situation. School probably just didn't want kids/people seeing a cop car/cop at the school. Makes it look like something bad happened. Parents will overreact, "OH my god, I saw a police car at school and I couldn't get in touch with my child immediately via his Iphone because a teacher wouldn't let them use their phones in class!"

The worrywarts probably incited a panic amongst parents, flooded the principal's office with phone calls demanding information if an incident occurred.

The principal cowardly decided it was easier to resolve his situation by dealing with an honest police officer than to deal with a horde of irrational mothers.

Shows very poor leadership skills in the principal and s/he should be replaced. If s/he cannot stand up for what is right, cowarding out for the easy escape, then s/he cannot hold that job, should be demoted to a lesser position.

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
LOL at the highly sensitive, overly reactionary feelings of the gun nuts over the welfare of their shiny instruments of destruction calling out how highly sensitive and overly reactionary mothers are over the welfare of their most precious progeny.

This from a firearm owner himself, who was called a baby killer of all things after returning from the war in Vietnam.

Perspective matters in some ways.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
I like this one the best.
"ANYTHING THAT SHOOTS MORE THAN ONE BULLET AT A TIME."

Apparently that guy is familiar with the cutting edge of gun technology:

1378075_10151698154851936_1963522953_n.jpg

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I think my parents still have pics of me solo at 7 or 8 mid recoil with a S&W model 19 .357 Magnum.

I became addicted to the smell of used gunpowder quite early.

That's a little young for a 357. They must have been using 38 shorts.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I wish that every person who is vehemently anti-gun had a single friend who is a responsible gun owner. This friend should take the anti-gun person to a range to show them how guns operate and let them take their time inspecting the components, inspecting the ammo, comparing various guns and action types, and firing various guns. There is a lot of ignorance in this country on most issues, but it seems like gun control is one of the worst. A little education should show these people that guns aren't some evil killing devices that "go off" if you even look at them the wrong way. Just the answers in this survey make me sad for the lack of knowledge that most people have: http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/30/assault-weapon-described

I mostly drank the anti-gun kool-aid too, but kept an open mind and tried shooting in my early 20s. I liked it, and began a serious effort to become proficient in various shooting disciplines.

Now I teach as many newbs as I possibly can. They usually leave the range with a big smile on their faces and a changed view of what guns are and aren't.

Edit: And no this isn't just a Texas thing - I only recently moved to Texas from Wisconsin.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I do need to do more of that. I haven't gone shooting since, strangely, the day of Sandy Hook (I was off that Friday and decided to go to the range with a buddy). But I should invite my nieces and nephews to go shooting sometime. Lord knows their parents won't take them, and teaching them while young is the best way.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Actually, more correctly, The "demonizing of your neighbor" fear mongering has reached new highs.
The NRA makes you fear what might be under your bed, or in your closet, then plants the idea only a gun is your answer.
And they are very effective at that.
I remember when neighbors and friends trusted each other. Watched out for each other.
Now, shoot first. Don't ask questions, just shoot.
Preferably several rounds.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Actually, more correctly, The "demonizing of your neighbor" fear mongering has reached new highs.
The NRA makes you fear what might be under your bed, or in your closet, then plants the idea only a gun is your answer.
And they are very effective at that.
I remember when neighbors and friends trusted each other. Watched out for each other.
Now, shoot first. Don't ask questions, just shoot.
Preferably several rounds.

just lol at this statement. remind me again, who provides 24/7 coverage of every minute detail of every mass shooting. remind me who puts out claims before they actually know all the facts of the situation. remind me who tries to get interviews and "cover the story" without giving people a second to breathe or grieve. remind me who turns a psychopath into a celebrity. because i think you'll find your answer there.

and you know who teaches "shoot first, preferably several rounds" the best/worst? police forces, who are almost immune to lawsuits and prosecution. in sharp contrast to the citizenry, where the legal system and police department don't have our backs; and if you shoot the "wrong" person, the media crucifies you.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
just lol at this statement. remind me again, who provides 24/7 coverage of every minute detail of every mass shooting. remind me who puts out claims before they actually know all the facts of the situation. remind me who tries to get interviews and "cover the story" without giving people a second to breathe or grieve. remind me who turns a psychopath into a celebrity. because i think you'll find your answer there.

and you know who teaches "shoot first, preferably several rounds" the best/worst? police forces, who are almost immune to lawsuits and prosecution. in sharp contrast to the citizenry, where the legal system and police department don't have our backs; and if you shoot the "wrong" person, the media crucifies you.
Even if you shoot the right person the media will shit all over you much of the time.

True that gun lovers promote an idea that a gun a needed to defend oneself, and in reality the chances of that ever coming to fruition are literally less than one percent. But on the other hand the media fails to point out that literally more than 99% of legal gun owners will never commit a gun crime, no matter what their favorite gun is or how many of them they own. If you take the rare mass killings (even these days they are rare when considering the size of nation) out of the equation assault weapons are particularly ill suited for--and rarely used in--gun crimes.

OGOC

Jun 14, 2013
I was at the shooting range with my dad at 10 years old and have so far managed to never shoot anybody in my entire life - I agree with the above sentiments, the schools are going too far and getting to the point of ridiculousness.

My guns have killed fewer people than Ted Kennedy's car.

I've never heard about a country with more extremes than the US.
Most other countries prefer to have all of their citizens equal in mediocrity.