The greatest legislative year in US history!

Jun 27, 2005
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jul/14/as-issues-pile-up-senate-sets-record-for-sloth/

halfway through the year, the Senate is on pace for its least productive legislative session since records were first kept, and the House is also operating at a clip well below normal, according to an analysis of floor activity by The Washington Times.

Somehow 28 pieces of legislation have managed to escape the senate so far this year. If they could get this down to 0 then we'd have something.

Gridlock is awesome. :awe:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I bet half (or more) of those 28 laws are things like National Flower Day or equivalently meaningless.

There was just an article in the local paper Friday that the GOP have yet again tabled the nomination of Chris Droney to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals. Droney is not controversial at all and has wide bipartisan support.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Don't confuse quantity for quality.

If they passed 157 pieces of legislations that were shit, we would have a whole lot of shit.

Gridlock is a wonderful thing.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
'Worst Congress in Decades': 2005-2006

http://thecommons4change.blogspot.com/2006/10/matt-taibbi-worst-congress-ever.html

'Best Congress in decades': 2009-2010, except for Republicans abusing the filibuster

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/83057-290-bills

Wow, so you quote blogs as sources for subjects you dislike, and legitimate sources for subjects you support.

I don't mind liberals, it's liberals who arrived at their conclusions by reading only liberal literature (aka fools) that piss me off.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
So what you're saying is that increasing R's in the Senate produces more gridlock?

American voters take notice! :p

House is doing pretty badass on those jobs though, they're totally focused, any day they'll be cranking something awesome out. That Cut, Cap, and Balance bill sure is going places....

We're now about 1/4 of the way through this new HoR and 0 jobs bills have been passed.

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
Gridlock has r and d

but senate would be better off as it is, without an r or a d

XD

cheesy humor for p&n

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
To everyone that says this: Be very careful what you wish for.

I am careful. The government that governs least governs best. In a divided government, only that which absolutely needs to get done, gets done. What's wrong with that?

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I am careful. The government that governs least governs best. In a divided government, only that which absolutely needs to get done, gets done. What's wrong with that?
:thumbsup:

in a previous election, I voted for a party I didn't like ust to prevent another party from getting too much power. It didn't work, but apparently a lot of people felt the same way.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
irishscott, you're an idiot.

Because I don't agree with you and point out your bullshit. Got it. I keep forgetting that every political opinion you have is based on "the liberals are right" and built up from there, and anyone who's not a liberal is not worth listening to in your mind. And I know you're not going to listen to this, but it feels good to call bias fools bias fools in front of their peers. Not that anyone here doesn't know that already.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I prefer gridlock to the passing of silly / bad laws, congress is especially notorious when it comes to technology and copyright laws.

But, this budget crap is getting way out of hand.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Because I don't agree with you and point out your bullshit.

You didn't support your own position there, genius.

A random model that happens to cover a single datum is not necessarily an accurate model of the system underlying that point.

Nothing about his method necessarily resulted in logical invalidity, so saying, "Hey, you used method X," does not itself fail anything.

Now, if he had used a Fox News opinion piece, then, as they are a known propaganda network, probability alone would be enough to consider their account worthless on its own. But he did not. And nothing in the article screams, "Patently one-sided," -- its use of broad generalities is in fact keeping with the notion that it came from a broad, balanced perspective. So, if you disagree, the burden is on you to go in and show where the errors lie. You did not do this.

Honestly, y'all can't argue worth a damn.

Last edited:

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Well I admit I haven't paid close attention to the current Senate, but the Senate in the first two years of Obama's presidency saw the filibuster used by the minority more times than in any two previous Senate sessions combined. So if you wanna see why nothing gets done, look at the current Senate minority party and I'd be willing to bet it's more of the same.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jul/14/as-issues-pile-up-senate-sets-record-for-sloth/

Somehow 28 pieces of legislation have managed to escape the senate so far this year. If they could get this down to 0 then we'd have something.

Gridlock is awesome. :awe:

The joy of accomplishing nothing.
I've always said the goal of government should simply be to not fuck anything up. Forget about about "change", forget about helping the little guy, just stay focused on not fucking anything up.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
You didn't support your own position there, genius.

A random model that happens to cover a single datum is not necessarily an accurate model of the system underlying that point.

Nothing about his method necessarily resulted in logical invalidity, so saying, "Hey, you used method X," does not itself fail anything.

Now, if he had used a Fox News opinion piece, then, as they are a known propaganda network, probability alone would be enough to consider their account worthless on its own. But he did not. And nothing in the article screams, "Patently one-sided," -- its use of broad generalities is in fact keeping with the notion that it came from a broad, balanced perspective. So, if you disagree, the burden is on you to go in and show where the errors lie. You did not do this.

Honestly, y'all can't argue worth a damn.

Oh you. Trying to poke holes in a point I never made. It's cute really.

Yeah, on my next term paper I'll cite "thecommons4change.blogspot.com". Specifically a post that provides a lot of quotes and general facts but cites no specific sources of its own for that information. I'm sure my professor will love that. :rolleyes:

Already being full aware of Craig's general positions as well as the futility of arguing with him about anything he doesn't like (in which case the discussion ceases to be an argument), I choose not to read a tl:dr of a blog post. If Fox News is a known propaganda network, then Craig is the new Vladimir Lenin with none of intelligence or balls. He is a mirror image of the Conservatives he despises, nothing more. I'd no sooner take him or his sources at their word than I would profJohn or his sources.

In the end, the only point I was making was: In making his point of "worst congress in decades", he substitutes a private blog that cites no sources of its own.. and apparently expects to be taken seriously despite his reputation as a liberal hack. It's like Bill Mahr calling the NRA "the assassins' lobby" just to make a shocking sound-bite. If Mahr didn't have any influence at all (like Craig) I'd be laughing. Actually, in spite of his influence we just got shall-issue concealed carry in Wisconsin, so I am laughing. At Craig too. :)

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So what did they accomplish that is so great?

Can you remember one good thing that congress has done this year?