The Great Products™ thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
The theme with me, is everyone knows I love da kitchen. Any time I am given gifts it is almost always for cooking. I was given an OXO a long time ago, it has been doing the job ever since -

61ztbcwvslL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I have a Kitchenaid can opener with a large plastic handle like that, which I use as a manual backup for my electric opener. Sooooo much nicer than the old metal-handle ones, those KILLED my carpal lol.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm one of the weirdos that generally enjoys and prefers canned food. There's a bunch of exceptions, but if I could have only one type of preserved food, it would be canned. I buy a lot at a time when I find a good deal, or something with limited availability, so I always have a selection available. Sometimes it sticks around for awhile before I get to it.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
You are right. I don't use them that way personally, and like pop top cans. Dry goods are what I use for long term and emergency. Not throwing cans in a bug out bag if a CAT5 is at the door.

I was trying to figure out why you'd need food storage if there was Ethernet cable outside, but then I remembered that I lived in Florida and oh yeah, hurricane ratings lol

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I'm one of the weirdos that generally enjoys and prefers canned food. There's a bunch of exceptions, but if I could have only one type of preserved food, it would be canned. I buy a lot at a time when I find a good deal, or something with limited availability, so I always have a selection available. Sometimes it sticks around for awhile before I get to it.
I have had some canned goods that are impressive no doubt. I think you work in the wilderness sometimes yes? Have you tried those dehydrated camping meals before? I have eaten stuff like pasta e fagioli and Minestrone that were way better than any canned I have ever eaten. The trick is avoid dishes with meat in them. Veggies based beans, rice, pasta, are what I stick to.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
These were before my time, how does the key work?
Fuck that money grubber, won't allow watching outside of youtube.

Lets see if this one does -

I was sad the sardines in mustard sauce my wife gets for me from the Dollar store I think? Have the pop top now. Used to use a key for those. Much more fun to open.

Reactions: zinfamous and Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I have had some canned goods that are impressive no doubt. I think you work in the wilderness sometimes yes? Have you tried those dehydrated camping meals before? I have eaten stuff like pasta e fagioli and Minestrone that were way better than any canned I have ever eaten. The trick is avoid dishes with meat in them. Veggies based beans, rice, pasta, are what I stick to.

Thanks to recent advances in technology, you can now buy a freeze-dryer at home for a few thousand dollars. I've got one on my wishlist lol. Really cool for convenience & preparedness purposes! I plan on getting one...someday haha:

The food lasts up to 25 years:

Stats are:

* Freeze dry 2,500 pounds of fresh food per year
* That's 12-16 pounds per batch
* In a year's time, you can freeze dry 546 gallons of food

The Facebook group is pretty active, people make a lot of crazy-awesome stuff:

One lady makes green smoothie powder:

Freeze-dried Skittles are pretty popular too:

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I prefer vegetable based food anyway. I used to be vegetarian, but started eating meat again after awhile, though I try to reduce consumption. I don't consider meat an essential part of every meal, and prefer dishes/cuisines where it isn't featured. Indian food is some of my favorite. Marinara sauce is perfect without meat, and my favorite pizza topping is onion and jalapeño. I consider canned potatoes cold with black pepper a perfectly fine snack. Same with green beans. I agree meat doesn't always can well, but I do enjoy sardines and herring. That's lunch almost every day at work. I bet I have at least 100 cans in my cupboard.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I consider canned potatoes cold with black pepper a perfectly fine snack.
My Pop, a WWII vet, loved those. My mom made "I don't feel like cooking" pot pie with them. I loved it. That triggered a food memory. :hearteyes: They still have them? Going on the shopping list.

Reactions: lxskllr

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I prefer vegetable based food anyway. I used to be vegetarian, but started eating meat again after awhile, though I try to reduce consumption. I don't consider meat an essential part of every meal, and prefer dishes/cuisines where it isn't featured. Indian food is some of my favorite. Marinara sauce is perfect without meat, and my favorite pizza topping is onion and jalapeño. I consider canned potatoes cold with black pepper a perfectly fine snack. Same with green beans. I agree meat doesn't always can well, but I do enjoy sardines and herring. That's lunch almost every day at work. I bet I have at least 100 cans in my cupboard.

I've done the same switch. I had food allergies for like ten years, so I tried keto, paleo, vegetarian, vegan, even fruitarian during that time. I like the omnivore approach the most, but I do far more of a plant-based diet now than I did in the past. I like the "eat plants, mostly food, not too much" concept by Michael Pollan. People always think hippie-veggie stuff for a plant-based diet, but there are a million ways to do potatoes, plus stuff like roasted butternut squash cubes are the bomb dot com!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
But no one loves me that much.

Yeah, the cost is the problem, but a commercial freeze-dryer is like $30,000, so relatively-speaking, it's a good deal lol. I was into food storage before (vacuum-sealing, having pantry stock, etc.) but when the shelves went bare in my area for two full weeks during COVID, I got more serious about it. I think a home freeze-dryer would be a fantastic investment, especially as the average family of 4 wastes $1,500 a year in food, so in theory it would pay for itself in just a couple of years!

1662209288216.png

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I think people would enjoy a plant based diet if they gave it a chance. I like the word "paleo", but from my cursory glance at it, it isn't done right imo. A historic healthy diet would be plant dominant, with /a little/ meat. Plants are easy to get, and meat's expensive. It takes a lot of energy to hunt, and it's dangerous. It seems reasonable to me that most humans would do best imitating that more closely. I don't buy the notion that "we're all the same" though. I think an Inuit is better suited to a meat based diet, and I've suspected blacks turn into land whales more often due to genetics and holding on to fat stores more readily to insure against famine. Add in the high calorie western/southern diet, and they blow up.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Get out of my head. My son and I were discussing food waste a couple of days ago. I raised him correctly, so he can't wrap his head around what a huge issue it is. Hell, I get spicy if the bananas start to turn because no one finished them. We love leftovers around here. And I always have a plan of attack for every meal.

But if that helps you convince the Mrs. then erm..... Yeah, damned food waste! :p

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I think people would enjoy a plant based diet if they gave it a chance. I like the word "paleo", but from my cursory glance at it, it isn't done right imo. A historic healthy diet would be plant dominant, with /a little/ meat. Plants are easy to get, and meat's expensive. It takes a lot of energy to hunt, and it's dangerous. It seems reasonable to me that most humans would do best imitating that more closely. I don't buy the notion that "we're all the same" though. I think an Inuit is better suited to a meat based diet, and I've suspected blacks turn into land whales more often due to genetics and holding on to fat stores more readily to insure against famine. Add in the high calorie western/southern diet, and they blow up.
We have destroyed the man's great products thread. :oops:

But yeah, can't agree more. Impossible burger has really been a gamer changer for me. Being able to eat chili, tacos, burritos, bolognese sauce, stuffed peppers, etc. and have that ground beef like taste and texture from plant based = thanks science.

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I really like plant based nuggets. It has a meaty texture, and makes a great carrier for hot sauce, which is the main reason I like nuggets anyway. I'm not that crazy about real chicken nuggets for the chicken flavor. It's just something to load hot sauce on.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Alright, to go back on track a smidge but stick to the theme of waste reduction... I'll offer a few.

First, related to cans, some nice multi-sized can toppers. Great for pet families. Many people probably have seen these.
1662212168507.png
Next, universal silicone lids for glasses and whatnot. I love these for when we mix up little batches of dressings or sauces and I just wanna keep some for the next day without using larger Tupperware containers or whatever, and keeps me from using saran wrap or foil constantly.
1662212321952.png
Finally, I've seen people hate on these but I love ours, wool balls for the dryer. Last for years, do as good a job as dryer sheets (maybe better), less waste.
1662212492130.png

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
On waste reduction... I'd encourage people to look for interesting containers when they're shopping. You can find useful containers that are filled with products you'd use anyway, but are perhaps expensive or unfamiliar. You can expand your experience, and get a useful container for maybe just a little more than buying an empty container off the shelf.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
This is a thread about legitimately great products you have come across. Shoutout to the Instant Pot (ATOT thread) & Anova Precision Oven (ATOT thread).

To start with, I was recently introduced to a genius toothpaste-tube-squeezer. Ten bucks on Amazon:

It's literally just two metal rods with like a silicone rubber band on each end and it works BRILLIANTLY! I've dealt with the stupid problem of squeezing out every last iota of toothpaste my entire life, and someone finally came along & fixed it lol. You need to have a semi-empty tube & then flatten the end so you can wiggle the bars on, then you just slide it up like you're eating an Otter Pop! How no one had ever solved this problem this effectively before boggles my mind. These are going to be stocking stuffers for Christmas this year lol.

View attachment 67068

Just a new take on an old product.

"Toothpaste keys" have been around for decades.

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Just a new take on an old product.

"Toothpaste keys" have been around for decades.

I've never seen this, do you just fit the end of the tube into it & then it stays in place as you roll it up?

The one I got is a bit different, you squish it forward & the tube stays flat, rather than rolling around it. It does a surprisingly amazing job at squeezing the paste out!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I've never seen this, do you just fit the end of the tube into it & then it stays in place as you roll it up?

The one I got is a bit different, you squish it forward & the tube stays flat, rather than rolling around it. It does a surprisingly amazing job at squeezing the paste out!

I was just using edge of my bathroom door-frame to squeeze the last scraps of toothpaste out since I forgot to pick up more yesterday.... may be heading over to Amazon to order this later!