The GOG & Steam Sale Thread

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
So far, this sale is actually pretty decent. Lots of big titles are 50% off. Though I do remember the steam sales when brand new games were 60% off and older games would easily hit 85% off. Might have to finally grab Nioh, Nier Automata, Rimworld, and a few others.

Rimworld isn't on sale...

The publisher apparently said they don't plan to put it on sale implying for years.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Dunno if I changed or the sales did, but I feel like publishers are gotten wise to Steam and are keeping the base game price higher so even 75% cuts, while enticing, don't bring games for sale price down as low as they used to.
I tend to agree, Tomb Raider Rise for example still has a high base price considering its age. Also add to that the loss of flash sales.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
If the game is a reasonable price on Steam, just buy it. You could wait a month or two years to see the same game on Humble for $5 cheaper.

I think this sale I'll just grab all the big-name titles on my list since they are all at least 50% off. I really want to see RimWorld go on sale, but I doubt that will happen for a while, so I'll wait on that.

Yeah, but I am spoiled now. Under $10 for regular games and under $15 for big name games are my buy it now points. Nothing on my list hits those so I may actually not buy anything this sale. Doesn't help that after the summer sale the monthly bundle had three of the games I was on the fence on so...

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I tend to agree, Tomb Raider Rise for example still has a high base price considering its age. Also add to that the loss of flash sales.

Yes. Been wanting TW:Warhammer 2 for a while now but the base price is still $60 so 50% off is still $30.

Ha, Humble has it on sale for the same price as Steam and I get 10% off there due to the monthly bundle, so picked it up for $26.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Thinking of buying FrostPunk for $18, probably will.

Tempted by either Assassins Creed Origins Gold for $35 (down from $100), or base game Odyssey for the same price (less likely, but if it's the better pick...) or could wait on them.

Far Cry 5 is of some interest at $26, but could also wait.

Civ 6 first expansion is $18, but I've learned I tend to buy them, play one game, and put it away. Like I played about two games of Civ 6 and put it away.

Total War Vermintide for $13 is a maybe.

Nier Automate at $26 I'm going to look at.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
So I just picked up the Metal Slug Bundle (1/X/3), Rage, and Firewatch for a total of $15 bucks.

Nothing else on my wish list is low enough at the moment to warrant a purchase in this sale. Backlog is still a sight to behold thanks to Fallout New Vegas eating a bunch of time to play through (incredible game though).

Reactions: linkgoron

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
So I just picked up the Metal Slug Bundle (1/X/3), Rage, and Firewatch for a total of $15 bucks.

Nothing else on my wish list is low enough at the moment to warrant a purchase in this sale. Backlog is still a sight to behold thanks to Fallout New Vegas eating a bunch of time to play through (incredible game though).

I'm replaying Fallout 4 myself, this time with the unofficial fixes and We Are The Minutemen mods.

Meanwhile my backlog keeps growing, and I just picked up the Xbox Fallout 76 bundle (despite Fallout 76 being ... Fallout 76) since I wanted a 4K Ultra blu-ray player anyway and hey free Crackdown 1!

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
Got

Assassin's Creed: Origins
South Park The Fractured But Whole: Season Pass
Life is Strange 2: Episode 1

Still on the fence with Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition. I'm playing DOS1:EE right now and I might need a break from the game.
I'm also considering Vampyr.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Rimworld isn't on sale...

The publisher apparently said they don't plan to put it on sale implying for years.
Yeah I know but I figured while I'm buying games, I might as well grab it since I really want it. However, given how many I just bought, I can wait until it goes on sale.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Thinking of buying FrostPunk for $18, probably will.

Tempted by either Assassins Creed Origins Gold for $35 (down from $100), or base game Odyssey for the same price (less likely, but if it's the better pick...) or could wait on them.

Far Cry 5 is of some interest at $26, but could also wait.

Civ 6 first expansion is $18, but I've learned I tend to buy them, play one game, and put it away. Like I played about two games of Civ 6 and put it away.

Total War Vermintide for $13 is a maybe.

Nier Automate at $26 I'm going to look at.

I’m still on the fence about Frost Punk but the price is hard to pass.

That Civ expansion was really good. It made my day 1 purchase of the game playable. Though there’s a lot of game mechanics to figure out.

Last edited:

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Went ahead and finally picked up Divinity Original Sin, hopefully maybe the wife will play as well.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Pillars Of Eternity is marked down 40 percent.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/Pillars_of_Eternity/

If you havent been satisfied by anything since Baldurs Gate 2 then you really need to buy this now.

Shadowrun Hong Kong is down 75 percent.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/...ong__Extended_Edition/?curator_clanid=6859167

Its the best Shadowrun game ever made and probably the closest you will ever get to actually playing Shadowrun.

Battletech was reduced 30 percent.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/637090/BATTLETECH/?curator_clanid=6859167

Its pretty gosh darn good. And they actually improved gameplay a LOT with each of the many patches.

Reactions: paperfist

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
All three Just Cause games and all their DLC for under $10 on Steam. I played the first two (and apparently bought the 3rd at some point) and they were really fun for just causing mayhem. Little repetitive at some points, but I heard there's plenty of stuff added to the third game to quell the repetition.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Pillars Of Eternity is marked down 40 percent.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/Pillars_of_Eternity/

If you havent been satisfied by anything since Baldurs Gate 2 then you really need to buy this now.

Shadowrun Hong Kong is down 75 percent.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/...ong__Extended_Edition/?curator_clanid=6859167

Its the best Shadowrun game ever made and probably the closest you will ever get to actually playing Shadowrun.

Battletech was reduced 30 percent.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/637090/BATTLETECH/?curator_clanid=6859167

Its pretty gosh darn good. And they actually improved gameplay a LOT with each of the many patches.

I dunno what that Shadowrun game is exactly, but it reminds of Syndicate so I bought it :D

If anyone is into RPGs Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning collection is $10/Steam.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
All three Just Cause games and all their DLC for under $10 on Steam. I played the first two (and apparently bought the 3rd at some point) and they were really fun for just causing mayhem. Little repetitive at some points, but I heard there's plenty of stuff added to the third game to quell the repetition.

I got JC2 and found myself very annoyed and frustrated at the very first mission.
Sold it back to Steam and never thought about it again.

Does the game get a LOT better after that first mission?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I got JC2 and found myself very annoyed and frustrated at the very first mission.

Hmm, it's been too long and I've completely forgotten the first mission.

It's a mix of landscape destruction, vehicular mayhem, gunfire, and using your parachute. That doesn't really change. I had a lot of fun until I got stuck at the mission where you need to stop a missile from reaching its target by shooting it down in mid-flight using a hijacked fighter jet. Unskippable and way too hard (for me) playing on PC.

My big annoyance with JC2 was that any special vehicles you buy disappear when you load your saved game. You have to re-buy them every session. Any vehicles you've hijacked are gone too. The save system is even worse than 90s console checkpoint saves.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007

Yeah it does but that all depends on what frustrated and annoyed you I suppose. The game is good for just some nonsensical blowing **** up.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I picked up Indiana Jones Emperor's Tomb for two bucks on GOG. I didn't even know about the game until now.

It's like a male Tomb Raider with less acrobatics and puzzles, but a lot of fist-fighting. The controls are a little stiff but it's still ok to play, and it's keeping my attention.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Osiris New Dawn has been reduced 40 percent.
Its still early access but is actually a surprising amount of fun. Much better looking and more fleshed out than the average space survival game.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Steam sale is likely live, simply because the store page in the client won't load.