The game of the week is Daikatana - Love it because you hate it

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm in the process of installing my game collection on a fresh install of Windows 8.1. I'm up to Daikatana. I remember buying this game for full retail price back when it was originally released. Installing the game right now from the same CD I purchased.

It's not absolutely horrible. I can think of plenty of games that were much worse. The main thing that killed this game was the hype. It didn't match up at all to the hype surrounding it. I'd go as far to say it's a fair game to play. Going to play it a bit this Friday night.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Worst "Game of the Week" thread...ever.

Watch out for those killer frogs.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I tried the robot frog demo level back at release, that convinced me it was a Wargames situation.

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
I remember buying this game for full retail price back when it was originally released.

If I recall correctly, big name releases back then went for about $30. If you had put that into AAPL, you'd be more than $650 richer now.

But yeah, the hype for this game was insane. In the long run, it was Romero who became the bitch of the PC gaming world. But like you say, love it because you hate it. Have fun!

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Its funny because in my experience there were worse launches. Ultima IX was so broken they had to ship everyone new install CDs months after release just so people could play the game. Daikatana was bad, but not that bad. I think the bigger problem was that at the time John Romero was so arrogant that it was an easy decision for the everyone to jump on the *uck John Romero bandwagon.