The Galaxy SIII, although a great phone, is still not a competitor to the iPhone.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I assume you got that from Wiki. Going by the next sentence in that quote, ESPN targets a niche of sports fan. That's doesn't sound like a small market to me.

Niche product implies a very specific product that only a small number of people buy/use. Going by your definition one could argue that everything is a niche product.

Why is it so hard to simply accept that the oversized Note is actually enjoyed by a lot of people and is not just used by some small, obscure number of fans. The Nexus 4 is much more of a niche product than the Note, which is advertised and sold at all major carriers nation wide, and seen in TV commercials around the world.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Niche product implies a very specific product that only a small number of people buy/use. Going by your definition one could argue that everything is a niche product.

Why is it so hard to simply accept that the oversized Note is actually enjoyed by a lot of people and is not just used by some small, obscure number of fans. The Nexus 4 is much more of a niche product than the Note, which is advertised and sold at all major carriers nation wide, and seen in TV commercials around the world.

Yeah, the more I read wiki, everything would be a niche product and to be honest it would be clearer if I said that my original opinion should've said that the Note 2 is not a "mainstream niche" by Wiki's definition.

As of special note, the products aimed at a wide demographic audience, with the resulting low price (due to price elasticity of demand), are said[who?] to belong to the mainstream niche—in practice referred to only as mainstream or of high demand.

So yeah, it's hard for me to accept because I don't know who is buying these products and why. I personally know why lots of people are NOT buying it. If the Note 2 really is the successor of the SGS3 and if Samsung advertised it as such, then that would definitely be a bump towards acceptance. Hope that answers my skepticism of the Note 2 positioning in the market.

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
You haven't proved a single thing.
Apple still generates tons of cash for their shareholders.
They're certainly not "bleeding to death" as you claimed.

Tell that to the millions that apple employes dumped over the last 2 months.apple lost 200 million in market cap from the time the iPhone 5 came out and it just dipped under 500 from the lack of hype in China on the iPhone launch.it is the lowest selling launch in the history of apple in China.they only sold 2 million phones.

Its been bleeding for the past 2 months and is down over 30% since the iPhone 5 launch

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Tell that to the millions that apple employes dumped over the last 2 months.apple lost 200 million in market cap from the time the iPhone 5 came out and it just dipped under 500 from the lack of hype in China on the iPhone launch.it is the lowest selling launch in the history of apple in China.they only sold 2 million phones.

Its been bleeding for the past 2 months and is down over 30% since the iPhone 5 launch
Clearly, you don't know what the word "bleeding" means.

IHAVEAQUESTION

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
How can you see or type anything on that tiny little screen?
The only good Android phones are the stock Android phones(ie. Nexus). I'm all in on Android right now, but there's no way I'd own anything but a Nexus of some sort if I decide to stay.

I am on a Nexus device as well. But in terms of typing, iPhone gets it right more of the time. I can almost be careless with an iPhone and it still gets my input right. Whereas on my N4, despite the big screen, the typing experience just hasn't measured up.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I am on a Nexus device as well. But in terms of typing, iPhone gets it right more of the time. I can almost be careless with an iPhone and it still gets my input right. Whereas on my N4, despite the big screen, the typing experience just hasn't measured up.

I agree. Not sure if any of the keyboard apps will help. The iPhone keyboard was smart enough to know that after I added a ' to go back to character mode and do something similar in a number of other scenarios.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
I agree. Not sure if any of the keyboard apps will help. The iPhone keyboard was smart enough to know that after I added a ' to go back to character mode and do something similar in a number of other scenarios.

If you want a smart keyboard Swiftkey is the best option and completely puts the iPhone to shame. It's auto prediction can be downright creepy at times it is so good.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I found the android keyboard to be on par with the iOS keyboard before 4.2 and since it now has gesture typing it's way better imo.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Hell, my Atrix 2 can run circles around the latest iPhone, but technical superiority has little or nothing to do with popularity among the average user. There definitely is a mindset that says the more you spend, the more you are getting. This seems more pervasive with Apple users than any other group I've encountered. I had to laugh when my brother couldn't even get to the Amazon store through the Kindle app on his iPhone.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
If you want a smart keyboard Swiftkey is the best option and completely puts the iPhone to shame. It's auto prediction can be downright creepy at times it is so good.

yup. Sometimes I just keep tapping the word prediction and fill in 1 word at the end of the sentence.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005

A bit over dramatic are we? RIM is bleeding, not Apple.

I haven't used the latest swift key, but I'm happy with the iOS keyboard. I just button mash with typos everywhere and it'll auto correct as I go.

Last edited:

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
I like both the S3 and the Iphone 4s/5. I personally prefer the iphone, but mostly because I'm used to it and don't need to do much beyond what it can already do. The rest of OP's criticisms are purely subjective. The weight of the phone has no relevance to me; I wear a suit virtually every day, so my phone is always in my jacket pocket, and LTE is the bomb because AT&T's 3g in NYC is horrible in a unique way.

Ultimately, if I woke up tomorrow and could only use the S3, I'd be okay.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I just got the galaxy S3 yesterday on AT&T and it's a nice phone. The build quality seems a good step above the S2 which I had before. Unfortunately the LTE in my area is a joke... it says it's connected but my speed tests has never shown anything over 6Mbps. It feels fast enough but it's still disappointing. I think it's because they just got LTE up and running around here and they may not have everything going yet.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I just got the galaxy S3 yesterday on AT&T and it's a nice phone. The build quality seems a good step above the S2 which I had before. Unfortunately the LTE in my area is a joke... it says it's connected but my speed tests has never shown anything over 6Mbps. It feels fast enough but it's still disappointing. I think it's because they just got LTE up and running around here and they may not have everything going yet.
Its like this in NYC too. My Tmobile SGS3 always gets between 10-22mbps on tmos 4g and my iphone 5 on LTE barely gets 5mbps on 3 bars. On the RARE instance that LTE is on 5 bars it has only peaked ONCE at 24mbps. Thats on verizon. I think LTE in NYC is super saturated.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
I do have to say I like the iPhone size a little bit better than a galaxy s3. That's probably why I sold my galaxy nexus and its god awful battery life for... a droid RAZR m.

I love this phone. Probably the only things that could be improved are if it was 720p though I don't care that much and maybe the camera could be slightly better though its already a ton better than the gnex

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I do have to say I like the iPhone size a little bit better than a galaxy s3. That's probably why I sold my galaxy nexus and its god awful battery life for... a droid RAZR m.

I love this phone. Probably the only things that could be improved are if it was 720p though I don't care that much and maybe the camera could be slightly better though its already a ton better than the gnex

The M is a very sleek looking phone. Unfortunately for Motorola I'm only interested in Nexus devices.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
The M is a very sleek looking phone. Unfortunately for Motorola I'm only interested in Nexus devices.

The new razrs are pretty close to stock if that's any consolation I can't think of anything that's hugely different other than some bloat ware apps that I suppose I could root to remove

The gnex I had for a year and it would occasionally reboot and had fairly bad battery life even for a phone of its generation. Nexus phones seemed to have somewhat poor battery life in general even the 4 is pretty bad compared to the optimus 4g lte which is more or less the same.

Honestly after using aosp builds , nexus builds , and cyanogen for years I just got tired of it. The RAZR m with a stock build has been perfect. I guess android has gotten to the point where its so good i don't care enough to tweak it

A moto nexus would be pretty awesome though. Samsung as much as people love them the phones still don't feel as nice. The gnex earpiece and speaker and camera and radio reception were not very good either. I know my coworkers s3 on vzw doesn't get as good reception either. Samsung I guess has great marketing.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
The gs3 is the reason apples stock is down to record lows and the company is bleeding to death

AAPL is up 30% YTD, 170% over last 5 years and 14,600% over last 10 years. In what world is today's price record lows? Their current price is higher than it's been in any prior year.

They're down over the last 6 months or so, but don't start writing the obituary yet.