The future of windows media center/extenders

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have my whole house set up with a Windows 7 media center computer recording fios off a hdhomerun prime. I have a few xbox 360s I use as media center extenders, as well as Plex running for watching on the chromecast/android tablets. With windows 10 coming out, seems there won't be a windows media center at all in that will there be? So what does everyone think the actual lifespan of this method of tv recording/watching will be? Will anyone ever come out with another product to take it's place? I kind of want to get a 2nd hdhomerun prime, as we frequently run into issues of all the tuners being occupied with everyone watching tv. But then I'm wondering if it's worth the expense, since at some point I'd think all of this stuff is just going to up and stop working.

Last edited:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Windows Media Center doesn't have a future. It basically ended with Windows 7 as far as being a priority. It honestly is too advanced for the audience MS wants to capture, the HDMI passthrough in the Xbone is much closer to their final vision.

With that said, the hobby won't die. Windows 7 will be supported for a long time, and when that ends there is always Mythtv.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Honestly, I'd be pretty enthused if they'd just release a metro version of WMC. If you have any desire to switch between programs on a HTPC, Window 8's metro interface works rather well as 10-foot UI; I'm assuming the WAF is rather high compared to getting out a mouse. :p You can get applications like PLEX that work in metro, but unfortunately, using any normal, Windows application (like WMC) will put you back in the desktop when you exit.

Windows 7 will be supported for a long time, and when that ends there is always Mythtv.

But MythTV doesn't support PlayReady, right? That means you can't watch any protected content on it, so no HBO, etc.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
I have my whole house set up with a Windows 7 media center computer recording fios off a hdhomerun prime. I have a few xbox 360s I use as media center extenders, as well as Plex running for watching on the chromecast/android tablets. With windows 10 coming out, seems there won't be a windows media center at all in that will there be? So what does everyone think the actual lifespan of this method of tv recording/watching will be? Will anyone ever come out with another product to take it's place? I kind of want to get a 2nd hdhomerun prime, as we frequently run into issues of all the tuners being occupied with everyone watching tv. But then I'm wondering if it's worth the expense, since at some point I'd think all of this stuff is just going to up and stop working.

I hope it has a future. We just added a second HDHR Prime for the reason you mentioned. Media Center is so easy to use compared to other DVR methods, it would be a shame if it ended. We'll keep it with Win7 (or move up to 8 with it) as long as we can.

Sep 12, 2004
Media Center and extenders would have had a decent future if MS had not completely screwed over Ceton and their Echo with Windows 8. Then, to add insult to injury, MS failed to make the XBone function as an extender.

But despite MS and their virtual abandonment of the MCE platform there is still anywhere from 5 to 7 years+ left in the MCE/extender environment. Hopefully by then someone else will come along with a superior replacement and/or new tech that will provide the HTPC dream - the ability to do practically everything video/audio-related using a single box and comprehensive interface.