The Future of Same-Sex Marriage in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
It looks like at least one state has approved same-sex marriage by popular votes. More than one states, in all likelihood, but one was what the proponents needed anyway. The symbolic value is unmistakable here.

What is remarkable here is that I predict this victory for the proponents will seem.. unremarkable to many in the nation. NOM will be quiet for obvious reasons and I hope they remain quiet for.. ever. It turned out, also, majority of Catholic peons voted for the equality despite the cranky voices of their angry masters. (Pope & Bishops)

Gay rights groups will have learned from the past, too, that it doesn't help bragging what little they have gained to the cause, so their self-congratulation will likely be muted as well.

But I see a sea of changes in the coming years and decades. Can't spell out the profound impact this will bring to our social, political, and legal life in this little post - but we will get to see it gradually. And it will be, in my opinion, for the better.

I expect this thread to die quickly. I just wanted to observe another historical moment.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
I voted for it. Maryland

The best thing about it here is it has now passed everything (Courts, Legislature, People) and therefore can in no way be delegitimized.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Congrats and you should be proud making the history.

P.S. I look at these numbers and it's kind of funny why this thing always seem to turn out 52-48 split? Whichever side wins.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
It looks like at least one state has approved same-sex marriage by popular votes. More than one states, in all likelihood, but one was what the proponents needed anyway. The symbolic value is unmistakable here.

What is remarkable here is that I predict this victory for the proponents will seem.. unremarkable to many in the nation. NOM will be quiet for obvious reasons and I hope they remain quiet for.. ever. It turned out, also, majority of Catholic peons voted for the equality despite the cranky voices of their angry masters. (Pope & Bishops)

Gay rights groups will have learned from the past, too, that it doesn't help bragging what little they have gained to the cause, so their self-congratulation will likely be muted as well.

But I see a sea of changes in the coming years and decades. Can't spell out the profound impact this will bring to our social, political, and legal life in this little post - but we will get to see it gradually. And it will be, in my opinion, for the better.

I expect this thread to die quickly. I just wanted to observe another historical moment.

Voted for Prop 74 in Washington. I'm sure the Fundies will force it to go all the way to the supreme court. Somehow those idiots have lots of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.