The future is Fusion - AMD's

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
yea, I agree with that assessment. the so called "overhead" is nothing...

Although, this seems to indicate it can shut down ANY program that you list and turn it back on later... so things like distributed computing, etc, could be added to the mix.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: secretanchitman
this is what fusion was?

uh, ill pass.

No, this is a marketing department given too much leeway. The actual product, Fusion, won't be completed until late 2009<?>.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I read this last night and was shocked. Though something seems a bit odd - first off AMD/ATI and Microsoft have often worked more closely than Intel & NVIDIA have with Microsoft... this just shows that relationship further. Being able to suspend background tasks completely in Vista... that's an interesting concept in itself - how do you do that without making the system unstable?

That said, I'm slightly confused as to what's going on, but one thing seems true - with Dirk at the helm, and these tools focusing on what they focus on, combined with the 4xxx series GPUs and the 7 series chipsets, do you get the feeling that ATI is actually the winner here? Basically the merger with AMD buying ATI seems more like ATI actually bought out AMD - since ATI is still pushing out GPU's and chipsets at top tier, and it looks like they got a fairly strong processor in the process. Ironic... getting paid to take over your merger partner...

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
I think this is little more than a pre-marketing 'branding' of Fusion for next summer from AMDs lame PR department.

It needs to be done but whether this is the way to go about it - I don't know - seems it may create more conFusion in the market (like it has in this thread :p )

Is Fusion AMD? A Ford? A razor? LOL

From the hardware/micro architecture standpoint it appears the transition to AMD Fusion is moving forward (hard to believe, huh?). The mobile Puma platform has introduced the necessary split CPU core power planes. TMSC is now on the SOI bandwagon for the 40nm GPU core shrink. The Phenom introduced independence of native core timing and split IMC/L3 timing and power planes.

On the software side the new SSE5 instruction set has been proffered to optimize the micro architecture.

And as much joy as some gain from joking about a Phenom X3 as a 'triple cripple', guess what? Initial desktop Fusion is a Phenom X3 - with a GPU on the chip in a single architecture (I think this is what they called "Falcon").

So the elements of the Fusion micro architecture are now rounding into place and SSE5 instructions available for software optimizations to take advantage of the integrated CPU/GPU core.

How all this plays out, who knows? Fusion hardware is not intended for the enthusiast segment - it's aimed at 90+% of the market (primarily the business desktop) with enhanced encryption, mathematical and multimedia capabilities.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
My guess is we'll still see the 'fusion' CPU/GPU that AMD talked about at some point.

If I was running Vista I'd give this thing a try, my guess is that it wouldn't make that big of a difference for me anyway.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
I used to use an application like this a few years ago. It was developed by a guy who liked to play Flight Simulator when 512 mgs of ram was the standard. It shut down all unnecessary applications and services which were not needed during gaming and freed up more ram to be used by the game. It really worked well for me. I forget the name of the application, but it did free up the ram really well.
Upon running the application it showed you the initial ram available and then it proceeded to shut down a preprogrammed list of apps and services, showed you the new amount of ram availlable and then started the game selected. After you were done gaming it restarts all the services and apps that it shut down. Pretty cool actually but nothing new.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: AmberClad
There's an article on the main AT homepage about this (yes, I know some of us never wander outside of our AT forums cave to see what's actually happening with AT itself...).

This stood out:
One of the major features of this software is that it automatically overclocks both the CPU and the GPU. Because of this, AMD will only allow the tool to run on all-AMD platforms, meaning that people who run AMD GPUs on Intel CPUs and AMD CPUs with NVIDIA GPUs will not be able to benefit from this applications.
So this only seems to apply to people using both an AMD video card and an AMD CPU...for gaming. I wonder what percentage of people this applies to.

Shouldn't this be called SpiderTool or something?

That's just wrong

That's like the two Internets