The fundamental difference between a Democrat and a Republican and...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I believe we should be taxed higher, i'm tired of our services being scaled back/cut so that the 3%'ers can add a few digit's to their bank accounts and feel better about themselves

So you are all for dead beats gaining the system. Got it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah if you ignore the fact that you'll benefit again and again from roads in other instance, like when after WalMart you go to Target, Home Depot, and Macys. And then drive to work. And to see grandmom. And to go on your vacation to see the World's largest ball of twine. And to go to DC to protest for equal rights for microbes. Etc. For each 2 x N that WalMart receives you've probably already benefited many times N. Not to mention that WalMart is already paying an effective 32% federal income tax rate for the last few years where you're likely to be spending a small fraction of that. Plus all the fuel taxes WalMart pays on those trucks and other associated fees, taxes, and duties of all kinds.

it's like those magical wealthy Waltons also don't use the roads to visit family or do their fancy shopping at Nieman Marcus or Wegmans. or whatever.

oh yeah, haha silly me: They use their fucking helicopters to escape peasants like you and me when they need to go somewhere.

You're right, glenn. you win.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I'm a registered Republican. But the current Republican party is an absolute embarrassment...

I know most of the posters here think that the Tea Party was a joke, but i really viewed it as the last attempt at true fiscal conservatism in a political party. We currently have the Democrats with their "Tax more, spend more" and the NeoCons with their "Tax less, spend more". We have no opportunity to vote for candidates that will "Tax less, spend less" or even God-forbid the "Tax more, spend less".

I honestly don't know how Trump did it, but we now have a fractured, mostly dead, political party in charge of our government. We knew the Republican party split, but everyone went out of their way to murder the Tea Party so when the base reunited to vote this past election it really just put NeoCons back into office.

We've had a stupid, stupid travel ban.
We've tried to remove the healthcare plan without having any good ideas to replace it.
We've got a tax plan that seems like an absolute economic time-bomb.

These are policies from an essentially dead political party...

A lot of people think Trump voters have no remorse. That's true for the subset that choose a candidate based on whether or not they can keep their guns. But the intelligent Trump voters I know don't like the policies being put into place. They aren't getting what they hoped because they either voted against the democrats or for a NeoCon platform whose ideas are dead. Most Republican voters are fiscal conservatives who somehow think their "conservative" party truly is conservative...

It's so frustrating to come here and read the posts because for the most part most of you are correct! The Republican party is a joke right now, and our "solutions" are worse than simply leaving things alone. I can't even get into arguments against left leaning policies because as soon as I mention anything related to Republicans or Conservatism my post is disregarded.

So to answer the original question... I would like less taxes and less spending. I could be talked into more taxes and less spending...

And this right here is exactly why I'm not a Republican, but a staunch Conservative.

Reactions: Majes

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
article-2624164-1DADC91000000578-23_964x682.jpg

These North Koreans benefit GREATLY from their roads!!! Stop complaining that your leaders are corrupt you ingrates! Roads! You have roads!! Hell, that's like a 6 lane super highway, it must be delivering bucket loads of prosperity and unicorn farts!

Seriously- the fucking "roads and infrastructure" argument to taxes is fucking lame. They have roads all over the world, even in absolute hellholes. Having roads and even infrastructure doesn't magically deliver prosperity.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
article-2624164-1DADC91000000578-23_964x682.jpg

These North Koreans benefit GREATLY from their roads!!! Stop complaining that your leaders are corrupt you ingrates! Roads! You have roads!! Hell, that's like a 6 lane super highway, it must be delivering bucket loads of prosperity and unicorn farts!

Seriously- the fucking "roads and infrastructure" argument to taxes is fucking lame. They have roads all over the world, even in absolute hellholes. Having roads and even infrastructure doesn't magically deliver prosperity.

Oh wow, it's like Pyongyang is the entire fucking country.

Please don't let anyone confuse you for a smart person.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Oh wow, it's like Pyongyang is the entire fucking country.

Please don't let anyone confuse you for a smart person.
Wow leave it to Zinfoolish to actually argue that NK doesn't have prosperity because of roads!

Yes, Pyongyang is paradise! Roads deliver the prosperity! Stop complaining peasants!

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I don't know anything about economics and I'm fairly sure most people don't either. Has it ever made any testable predictions? My very limited understanding is that it is generally better when money is moving around. Since the government spends everything it takes in, it seems like that would imply higher taxes are better up to some point. I don't know.

I guess my point is that I feel completely unqualified to even begin to answer this question, but as a voter I'm expected to choose between two vague and complex options.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't think we're in any danger of that. He goes out of his way constantly to make it clear he's a moron.
He doesn't know that liberals like me have less use for freeloaders than he does. He may think he's a staunch conservative, but to me he's a moderate liberal.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Each of those trucks pays a significant amount fuel taxes that go into the highway fund and WalMart corporation itself pays income taxes at around a 30% plus rate. Not really a good example to support your thesis given the average taxpayer pays less than a third that rate and the bottom 2 quintiles pay an effectively negative rate on federal income taxes. If you'd rather not build roads so the rich can't "benefit" from WalMart trucks then feel free to do so in your state.

I found this document about total vehicle cost per mile and found it interesting. I'm not sure exactly how such funding is broken down, but I think this is worth a quick look:

https://ssti.us/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Trucks and Infrastructure Maintenance Costs.pdf

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Liberalism is a plague and disease. It insists to tax and spend and fund the deadbeat. It's logic is fundamentally flawed.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Liberalism is a plague and disease. It insists to tax and spend and fund the deadbeat. It's logic is fundamentally flawed.
Who fed you that crap. I want public floggings for deadbeats who use the system and laws that are bullet proof defending truly needy people against them. I hope you aren't saying people with no arms should still dig ditches for a living. If I know you selfish conservatives are as people describe you, that's probably exactly what you are saying. Staunch conservatives want the handicapped to set in their wheel chairs and charge a nickel so they can throw eggs at then. They can lick up the eggs and pocket the nickels and everything will be toot sweet in conservative land. You know, don't you, you're the real plague and disease.....

Reactions: KMFJD

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

You're probably not talking about inheritors of great wealth, America's biggest moochers.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Wow leave it to Zinfoolish to actually argue that NK doesn't have prosperity because of roads!

Yes, Pyongyang is paradise! Roads deliver the prosperity! Stop complaining peasants!

so, you don't understand anything, right?

K.

...I mean, do I need to actually drop clues so that you understand the point, or just keep letting you dangle? what's the deal here? lol. I can keep letting you flail until you make a rebuttal or, what is this, not even the stand-in for the stand-in for the Colverton community college debate club is willing to help you out? what the hell, man?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

your life is shit because of republicans doing exactly what you hate.

How are you too stupid to understand this?

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Who fed you that crap. I want public floggings for deadbeats who use the system and laws that are bullet proof defending truly needy people against them. I hope you aren't saying people with no arms should still dig ditches for a living. If I know you selfish conservatives are as people describe you, that's probably exactly what you are saying. Staunch conservatives want the handicapped to set in their wheel chairs and charge a nickel so they can throw eggs at then. They can lick up the eggs and pocket the nickels and everything will be toot sweet in conservative land. You know, don't you, you're the real plague and disease.....

And all this is bullshit.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Republican: Putin is a great man, I can see his heart. Russia is our friend.

Democrat: Putin is a murderous dictator. Russia is our adversary.

That is the substantive difference between members of the two parties today.

Democrat: Pedophiles and Nazis are bad

Republican: Many fine people