The Flight sim genre

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Is there a good combat flight simulator game on the PC that mixes fun and realism to make it enjoyable? For me, the epitome of this was 'Falcon' on the Amiga. I played quite a few others on the Amiga too such as F-19 Stealth Fighter, F-18 Interceptor, F-29 Retaliator, etc.

I tried Falcon 4.0 on the PC at the turn of the century, but IIRC most importantly it failed at the 'fun' aspect (asking the user to open bay doors before firing a missile, things like that, and trying to remember 2x/3x the number of keys to fly the plane), and the 3D graphics were horrible in the sense that going from high to low altitude didn't result in any kind of smooth transition of ground detail.

I remember a more action-oriented helecopter game I think was called 'Comanche 4' which was certainly enjoyable and I clocked a fair number of hours on that, but that was more akin to 'Desert Strike' than a flight sim iirc.

I just wondered if anyone else feels a similar way about flight sims to me and could recommend something more modern that I might like.

Last edited:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
War Thunder
IL-2: Sturmovik
Wings of Prey (coincidentally, when I loaded War Thunder for the very first time and heard one of the songs I knew it sounded familiar; it was the Wings of Prey theme! lol. Dunno what the commonality is though)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Wings of Prey is fun but last I checked the Steam version also requires that stupid Gaijin DRM to be running and it frequently has problems, meaning you cant play the damn game.