The first 2012 Presidential Debate - 10\03\12 - 6 p.m. PT (9p.m. ET)

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 19, 2001
Regarding Romney's tax cut: It's obvious taxes are going up for a lot of people by eliminating deductions. I can't believe Obama NEVER attacked that. Pretty bad IMO. He kept spewing $5 trillion.

Regarding entitlements and Obamacare: I feel like Obama played to the left. He's accepted that status quo is fine and the crappy entitlements system will continue to go on. No reform. Then there's healthcare. He talks about how the government has a duty to do these things. Sorry but that's extremely leftist. He should be playing to the middle and saying it's a right to have access to affordable healthcare.

Feb 10, 2000
Yeah, Romney has the freedom of no specifics while the President is saddled with having been president for the last few years and having to think in terms of actual governing, rather than pie in the sky promises.

A bit of an easy win for Romney.

True, but he deserves credit for presenting a polished package. Thus far I would definitely give the win to Romney. If the job numbers that come out this weekend are bad this could be a great week for his campaign.

Feb 10, 2000
Regarding Romney's tax cut: It's obvious taxes are going up for a lot of people by eliminating deductions. I can't believe Obama NEVER attacked that. Pretty bad IMO. He kept spewing $5 trillion.

Regarding entitlements and Obamacare: I feel like Obama played to the left. He's accepted that status quo is fine and the crappy entitlements system will continue to go on. No reform. Then there's healthcare. He talks about how the government has a duty to do these things. Sorry but that's extremely leftist. He should be playing to the middle and saying it's a right to have access to affordable healthcare.

Agreed. It also annoys me that the President hasn't even rebutted the $716B Medicare assertion, which completely misleading and has been repeated at least 5 times.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Unfortunately Romney wins this in the eyes of the average American. Pressing bullshit and pressing promises with no explanation how "i'm just going to work with congress cause you can't thats how" .. Obama not hitting him hard enough.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Overall, I'd say Romney has won this one. Obama is clipping his sentences too much, and there's no real flow to his explanations. He's trying to word things so carefully that he's making a mess of the point he's trying to make.

Romney is definitely short on the details and ridiculously promises everything to everyone, but I doubt most people are going to hold that against him.

nanette1985

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2005
I dunno, overall I don't think anyone is really winning. Romney is coming off like a snake oil salesman, promising everything and promising it for free where as Obama is coming off as Ben Stein in a low monotonous drone of the lecturer. Overall it just seems to reinforce my initial impression that both candidates are terrible.

Agree. I'm not any closer to deciding who to vote for.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
Overall, I'd say Romney has won this one. Obama is clipping his sentences too much, and there's no real flow to his explanations. He's trying to word things so carefully that he's making a mess of the point he's trying to make.

Romney is definitely short on the details and ridiculously promises everything to everyone, but I doubt most people are going to hold that against him.

I guess I'm not the Average American because when Romney talks, all I'm hearing is, "I plan on selling you something, but I'm not going to tell you what so just give me your money now, and you'll find out in about 2 years."

I see Romney, and all I hear are promises from a politician. I don't believe them and don't trust them till he might actually be in office.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Mr. President, you are entitled to your own plane and own home but not your own facts.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
jim lehrer STFU. spends 45 seconds bitching about how little time there is left.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Have to agree.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Obama flounders on the start of his closing statement; doesn't seem well prepared.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
Ugh, it's just two robots spewing rhetoric at each other.

No specifics, no substance, all garbage. Looks like business as usual.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Well, I know Romney spouted BS, but so did Obama. However, this is the first time Romney has ever impressed me, in anything.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

Agreed. I don't think Romney has made any progress on further detailing his actual plans - but what he says does "sound good."

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
They need to either cut off the mike of whoever goes over the limit or give more time to answer. Need to have a time clock winding down as the NFL and then "bbbuuzzzz", no more mike time until next question.

Both candidates ran over their time limit numerous times.