The first 2012 Presidential Debate - 10\03\12 - 6 p.m. PT (9p.m. ET)

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
It's sad that Romney is winning this debate from what he is saying he shouldn't be. But Obama is not doing a good job explaining why his plans can't work.

Romney is giving us stuff that is too good to be true, what he is saying doesn't make any sense. But he talks about it so that the uninformed will be easily tricked.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
I think that Romney has a more unsettled body language then Obama. And his facial expressions may come across as negative to some people.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
yes. it does refer to the compisition of the coal itself, plus emission reducing tech. example: Coal from the powder river basin in Wyoming is much lower in sulfur and slightly less btu/ton. It is being used and is in demand in much of the world because of its lower emissions as compared to Appalachian coal.

I'm ignorant on this subject but is clean coal like the skinniest kid at fat camp?

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Hmmm.

If Obama doesn't come back huge somehow I think he's letting this one go and essentially moving the goalposts for the other two debates. Not sure if that's going to be a sound strategy, but maybe he is this rusty haven't not gone through the primary process.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Insurance with no pre-existing conditions, but no mandate! Tax cuts for all business but entirely revenue neutral! Monkeys flying out of my arse over double rainbows!

Feb 19, 2001
Obama is definitely flailing, but he makes a good point. Romney is giving us a load of crap. He does lack detail. I mean if what Romney says is true, that would be great.

And how is Lehrer getting steamrolled by Romney?
"Let's move on"
"Wait, let me respond."

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
I'm ignorant on this subject but is clean coal like the skinniest kid at fat camp?

Yes. I may be misremembering but I think it also involves carbon sequestration where we capture the emissions and pipe them underground in a brilliant plan that could never ever go wrong.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
Obama is definitely flailing, but he makes a good point. Romney is giving us a load of crap. He does lack detail. I mean if what Romney says is true, that would be great.

And how is Lehrer getting steamrolled by Romney?
"Let's move on"
"Wait, let me respond."

He argues like my mother. He assumes that if he has the last word, he won the argument. He's probably right, in the eyes of viewers.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Yeah, Romney has the freedom of no specifics while the President is saddled with having been president for the last few years and having to think in terms of actual governing, rather than pie in the sky promises.

A bit of an easy win for Romney.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
By the way playing debate drinking game. I'm fucking blitzed thanks to these two.

Abraxas

Golden Member
Oct 26, 2004
I dunno, overall I don't think anyone is really winning. Romney is coming off like a snake oil salesman, promising everything and promising it for free where as Obama is coming off as Ben Stein in a low monotonous drone of the lecturer. Overall it just seems to reinforce my initial impression that both candidates are terrible.