The first 2012 Presidential Debate - 10\03\12 - 6 p.m. PT (9p.m. ET)

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
I just want Romney to answer a direct yes or no question with a yes or no instead of a let me change the topic.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
BTW - In the new...new Romney medicare plan since people have an option to stay on the current system, what if almost all people choose to stay?

They won't - if they're healthy. Private companies will absolutely provide better rates to healthy (healthier) seniors than Medicare can. The insurance companies will cherry pick healthy costumers and leave the more ill to rely on traditional medicare causing increased drain. Why do you think insurance companies didn't oppose the creation of medicare? "Waait.. you're creating a government program that will handle all the really ill (expensive) customers so we don't have to?" ... "Jackpot."

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
All Romney is doing is what he has been doing his entire political career, change his position to suit his venue.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I have only watched the past 10 minutes or so, and I'm not voting for either candidate. To me, Romney seems way more prepared with actual facts/knowledge.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I have only watched the past 10 minutes or so, and I'm not voting for either candidate. To me, Romney seems way more prepared with actual facts/knowledge.

Based on 10 minutes of a debate that has been on for an hour.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Lehrer: "You have two minutes sir!"

Obama: "Well. I had 5 seconds before you interrupted me"

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Lehrer: You 5 seconds were up a long time ago.

Translation: Don't try to show me up again, prick!

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
How? He's done nothing but spew BS and evade the questions the whole time.

I'm not sure which debate you're watching, but that's not what's going on. :confused: Obama is sputtering, uncomfortable, and defensive. Romney's put him on his heels. I don't like either one, but MR is winning this debate.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Affordable Care Act: Some facts and some lies... no surprise.

Romney should say that "Obamacare" is a failure because Obama's administration refuses to issue rulemaking on critical provisions of the ACA and that lack of critical rulemaking has led to the majority of states, including some solidly blue states, to refuse to implement the Essential Health Benefits provision.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I like how often Romney has caught Obama in a lie or being factually incorrect. Obama needs to fire whoever prepped him.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
How? He's done nothing but spew BS and evade the questions the whole time.

Obama is stuttering. Obama is stammering. Obama makes a point and Romney turns it around on him.

Just take the oil tax break thing. I agree with Obama but if you are on the fence, Romney owned him here on the green energy tax breaks.

You need to look at this from the perspective of someone undecided. Obama sounds confused and tentative. Romney is far more polished in this debate.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
zing?

as much as romney does run over and interrupt lehrer and doesn't stop, obama's had more talking time.

so if romney shut up, he'd probably be 5 min behind in talk time.

You do realize that Obama went first? Naturally, he is going to have more time.

Nov 3, 2004
Romney won the economy debate, but i think Obama has warmed up. of course its all so superficial because no one can actually fact check or properly attribute responsibility to claims

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
I'm not positive, but doesn't clean coal refer to anthracite (vs. bituminous)? Anthracite burns VERY cleanly compared to bituminous coal. I burn it to heat my house in the winter & there's zero smoke or odor coming from my chimney.

yes. it does refer to the compisition of the coal itself, plus emission reducing tech. example: Coal from the powder river basin in Wyoming is much lower in sulfur and slightly less btu/ton. It is being used and is in demand in much of the world because of its lower emissions as compared to Appalachian coal.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Obama took the death panel bait and did a good job with explaining it.

He keeps referencing the individual market premiums going down with is utter and absolute horseshit.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Romney is brutalizing Obama in this....pretty painful to watch Obama cringe as much as he is, doesn't help that the moderator is walking all over Obama as well.

Feb 19, 2001
Obama is stuttering. Obama is stammering. Obama makes a point and Romney turns it around on him.

Just take the oil tax break thing. I agree with Obama but if you are on the fence, Romney owned him here on the green energy tax breaks.

You need to look at this from the perspective of someone undecided. Obama sounds confused and tentative. Romney is far more polished in this debate.

But green energy in general is good. As an undecided person, that's not necessarily ownage. Romney may be more polished, but I don't feel like he's slamming Obama as hard as he could.