The final countdown (for 'free' win 10 upgrade) options

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
microsoft_2016_getwindows10promptjuly.jpg

They finally put up a 'decline the offer' option...

Executioner

Oct 24, 1999
Yep, and in the end, they wound up pissing off lots of customers in the process with all of their nasty tricks to get you to upgrade.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Should have been that way from the start, I still feel that it should not even be an "in place" upgrade at all, it should be an ISO that you download so clicking yes starts the download and puts it on the desktop or something. Heck, this may be asking too much of MS, but make it like Linux where you can dd the ISO to a USB stick and it will work as a boos USB. Basically it would have basic instructions and tell you to "ask your administrator" to do it. It would stop people who don't really know their way around computers from doing something major like an OS upgrade and leave that to whoever normally does that for them. It's not something I want my mom and dad to do, for example. I rather be there so I can backup their stuff, make sure all their programs will work, then do a full clean install. Upgrading in place leaves lot of crap from the previous OS behind and makes for an unstable installation. I'm not even sure what they do for the drivers, run them in some kind of compatibility sandbox? I'm actually impressed they more or less got the upgrade process to work at all, TBH.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Heck, this may be asking too much of MS, but make it like Linux where you can dd the ISO to a USB stick and it will work as a boos USB.

So, this is a thing that exists officially from MS.

And is also a very good reason why about 90% of the Win 10 threads in existence are utter garbage. People have no clue what they're talking about.