The Fasting Thread

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Didn't see one of these on the forum so here goes. Hopefully this becomes a repository for fasting support and information. I have been fasting intermittently for about 8 years - yes, before it was cool. Fasting is one of the healthiest things you can do. Positive health benefits include:

- weight management
- correct insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- dramatically improves growth hormone and body composition
- can be used as a tool to improve muscle mass while losing fat
- activated genetic pathways associated with longevity (AMPk, SIRT)
- decreases cancer risk
- increased BDNF, which is the principal hormone involved in neurogenesis and cognitive function
- decrease risk of Alzheimer's Disease and improves symptoms in those who have it
- improves mitochondrial function and, as a result, energy levels
- improves metabolic rate
- activates autophagy and decreases inflammation caused by senescent cells
- provides you with a sense of self-mastery and changes your relationship with food and eating (i.e. eating becomes optional)

I started with 24 hour fasts. Then I added daily fasting or one-meal-a-day (OMAD). Then I started throwing in 36-48 hour fasts periodically. The longest fast I have gone on so far was 4 days. I really started doing it regularly within the last year. I am now down about 40# and sitting at roughly 14% body fat with ease, for the first time in my adult life. I don't really restrict what I eat except I don't eat garbage (and no sugar).

There are all sorts of different regimens and different ones work for different folks. There are some tips and tricks, and I am happy to coach anyone interested in trying this.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I started doing it in April. I do not go longer than 36hrs fasting. Along with eating pretty clean, preparing all my meals, and already having a good fitness regime, it has made a positive difference in my energy levels, endurance, and attitude.

By eating clean I mean I gave up bread products including flour tortillas, cut my red meat intake to .5lbs to zero a week, and no more cereal or other processed stuff like that. I don't have a sweet tooth, so easy not eating sweets or stuff with sugar added. Always drink my coffee black, and only drink water and protein shakes besides that. Mostly chicken, eggs, legumes, fresh and frozen veggies, some jasmine rice and pastas. Lost some weight that I do not miss, and was only good for being top heavy on the mats when grappling. Which of course I can't do now.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I started doing it in April. I do not go longer than 36hrs fasting. Along with eating pretty clean, preparing all my meals, and already having a good fitness regime, it has made a positive difference in my energy levels, endurance, and attitude.

By eating clean I mean I gave up bread products including flour tortillas, cut my red meat intake to .5lbs to zero a week, and no more cereal or other processed stuff like that. I don't have a sweet tooth, so easy not eating sweets or stuff with sugar added. Always drink my coffee black, and only drink water and protein shakes besides that. Mostly chicken, eggs, legumes, fresh and frozen veggies, some jasmine rice and pastas. Lost some weight that I do not miss, and was only good for being top heavy on the mats when grappling. Which of course I can't do now.

I know we gotta be healthier as a species but man that diet does not sound enjoyable.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I know we gotta be healthier as a species but man that diet does not sound enjoyable.
It is all how you prepare it my good man. Chicken cacciatore, stuffed chicken (various veggies, cheeses), chicken teriyake, roasted yellow squash and red bell pepper tossed in olive oil, S&P. Spaghetti squash with fresh marinara and fresh parm. arroz con pollo, many different salads, pasta e fagioli, a bunch of other different soups, grilled chicken, BBQ chicken, roast chicken, instantpot chicken, mashed cauliflower, various potato dishes, chicken enchilada bowl, fajitas omelet, various other omelets and fritattas, the list goes on and on.

I limit dairy products extensively from what I was eating before too. Sandwiches, subs, pizza, were the biggest offenders. I do not eat those anymore. I do still drink the protein shakes that have milk products in them, a little cheese for stuffing the chicken, or grating on something, and cream cheese and sour cream for the infrequent dish where they are necessary. Oddly, red meat is unappealing to me anymore. The exceptions being bacon and ham when needed for a dish.

But I could seriously go on and on with all the different recipes I make that need no bread products, little or no diary, or red meat.

The fasting really does improve quality of life. On the days I get hungry and break it, I will have a 200- 300 calorie bowl of soup or celery with nat. PB. Most times I feel fine though, and when not fasting I limit my eating to a window of time, so I don't eat too close to sleep time. I have not had indigestion since starting this routine; something previously not uncommon for me. I was probably using a teaspoon of baking soda stirred in water at least once every week there for a good while, due to it.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
When I'm hungry, I'm hungry. The body says eat something, so I do.

With COVID and the stay home, especially being part of the most vulnerable population, and preparing food, with virtually no per-processed foods, I've lost about 20+ so far.

Prior to March, we probably ate out 2 - 3 times a week, typically food trucks at breweries, or the pizza place next door to the brewery. While not going to breweries 2+ times a week, I have maintained my consumption of beer levels, so it's not the cutting back on beer that made the difference.

And we are eating good at home, lots of variety... wife cooks, or I grill.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Happy to answer any logistical questions anyone might have about fasting. Yes it is hard at first and there is an adaptation period - like training for a marathon. Can be a bit uncomfortable when starting. But then you hit the zone and you feel superhuman.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Happy to answer any logistical questions anyone might have about fasting. Yes it is hard at first and there is an adaptation period - like training for a marathon. Can be a bit uncomfortable when starting. But then you hit the zone and you feel superhuman.
this sounds dangerous, if i was going to play video games and watch movies for 3 days i think i could fast, but im suppose to go to work for 16 hours and operate a motor vehicle? i like to lift weights 6 days a week too so i wont be able to do that i guess.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I fast for up to three days at a time while working. I am a professional and work a ton while fasting. I work out 5-6 days a week. Officially NOT dangerous as long as you approach it gradually, are not pregnant, or taking diabetes meds.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I fast for up to three days at a time while working. I am a professional and work a ton while fasting. I work out 5-6 days a week. Officially NOT dangerous as long as you approach it gradually, are not pregnant, or taking diabetes meds.
You didn't say what your work is how many hours you work and what your work out is. Benching 300 is a little diff then walking / jogging around the park

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
You didn't say what your work is how many hours you work and what your work out is. Benching 300 is a little diff then walking / jogging around the park
That is an important distinction; what the fitness goals are. An extreme example, but a strong man like Bryan Shaw would not benefit from this approach. That said, the most important thing, for the average Joe and Jane, is diet adherence. Nothing works unless you stay with it. In some studies, most of the tracked dieters weighed more 5 years later, than they did initially, before starting the first weight loss regiment. Hence, you definitely have to find what works for your lifestyle so you stick with it.

I also think @The Sauce goes too long for anything but fat loss. Consistently going days without quality protein intake is not going to build muscle, at least not that I have ever read about. What I have read is that you need enough to initiate anabolism, and some studies show there is also a cap for it. Meaning much like sleep, you cannot make up for missing it by binging later.

To iterate again, the most important thing is diet adherence, and Sauce has stuck with it for 8 years, which is a huge win in itself.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
That is an important distinction; what the fitness goals are. An extreme example, but a strong man like Bryan Shaw would not benefit from this approach. That said, the most important thing, for the average Joe and Jane, is diet adherence. Nothing works unless you stay with it. In some studies, most of the tracked dieters weighed more 5 years later, than they did initially, before starting the first weight loss regiment. Hence, you definitely have to find what works for your lifestyle so you stick with it.

I also think @The Sauce goes too long for anything but fat loss. Consistently going days without quality protein intake is not going to build muscle, at least not that I have ever read about. What I have read is that you need enough to initiate anabolism, and some studies show there is also a cap for it. Meaning much like sleep, you cannot make up for missing it by binging later.

To iterate again, the most important thing is diet adherence, and Sauce has stuck with it for 8 years, which is a huge win in itself.
Yep. The best diet is the one you can stick to and you feel works well for you. Realizing that a diet doesn't mean necessary to lose weight is it's own challenge since food and exercise culture has ingrained the fact that dieting = losing weight, whereas dieting just means to manage your intake correctly.

Long term fasting certainly can work for some people, even if they exercise or work out, however doing a long term fast, while in turn continuing high rates of strenuous exercise, is a recipe to deeply damage your body, especially if you aren't conditioned or know how to listen to how you're feeling.

jonwilliam

Feb 14, 2021
Yes, Fasting is a healthy practice and I do it for about 60 days a year. Fast about 15-16 hours. It has really helped me maintain an ideal weight over the last 4-5 years.