The FAA isn't F(AA)-ing Around - Fines for Unruly and Maskless Passengers

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Just because they issue the fine, don't mean they will be able to collect on it.

Sure they can. The government can make your existence totally and absolutely miserable if they want to. Especially if they want to make an example out of you (like they are planning to do to most of these folks).

Firstly, you already can't count on being able to fly again for a long time (if ever) as interfering with or assaulting a member of a flight crew gets you placed on a no-fly list along with the other terrorists. Failure to pay assessed fines will almost certainly keep you on the no-fly list indefinitely.

Then, when you give them the middle finger and don't pay, those fines were issued as a part of a legal process so you can be jailed for contempt and held as long as that judge wants to keep you there, no limits. I don't know for sure, but I suspect interest will accrue on past due unpaid fines so you'll eventually end up paying a lot more down the road. There is also the possibility that the FAA can issue additional financial penalties if you fail to pay. And, bankruptcy won't help, as those types of fines aren't ever subject to discharge in a bankruptcy proceeding.

They can also garnish your tax returns, and garnish your wages or any government payments you receive. Any garnishment orders your employer receives will include a copy of the original court order, so your employer will know exactly what you did and just may decide you are an employment risk and terminate your employment (this is far more likely if you happen to live in one of the at-will employment states). They can also put liens on your bank accounts, real estate, cars, and personal property (all of which will contribute to ruining your credit).

Since these types of fines also always accompany criminal penalties, failure to pay can get you thrown in jail instead of staying free on probation.

Plus, don't forget the airlines. Anytime they divert a flight to eject an idiot, it costs them tens of thousands of dollars. You can be sure you absolutely will be hearing from their lawyers on the subject. This is in addition to whatever the FAA does to you, and the airlines will hire whomever they need to in order to get their money.

So, what it all boils down to is, if you don't want to wear the mask, just drive there.

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I still will never understand WHY these people that resist, do resist ???
They most likely rode to the airport in a car and in that car they had to wear and fasten a seatbelt. And Im sure they had to show a ticket and or some form of ID at the ticket counter. And most likely they had to go thru security to make sure they were not caring a gun, a knife, or a bomb. Soooooo, what's the F-ing deal with wearing a mask? Have these people not a brain to think with? They are just lucky the airline doesn't give them a covid shot too, or better yet a sedative. People are so weird, some people, and what gets me is the lack of compassion for THE OTHER GUY. I personally wear a mask AND I have got the covid shot, but I still wear a mask not so much for myself but for the sake of others. And to hopefully let everyone know that it's ok to wear a mask. But these anti-maskers are soooo soooo damn self centered. It's all about THEM THEM THEM and never about simply doing the right thing for everyone's sake. And another kick in the head, most of them deniers claim to be god fearing Christian. Well, talk about wearing your religion on your sleeve. If I had my way I'd open the door and kick their ass out of the plane mid-air, then see how they feel about wearing a parachute.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Can the Feds just fine all Trump voters an annual fee of $1k each, until all of the cash that Trump stole from the treasury to play golf, enrich himself, and build a display wall in the south is paid back?

I think these pieces of shit owe this country for their treasoning.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Sure they can. The government can make your existence totally and absolutely miserable if they want to. Especially if they want to make an example out of you (like they are planning to do to most of these folks).

Firstly, you already can't count on being able to fly again for a long time (if ever) as interfering with or assaulting a member of a flight crew gets you placed on a no-fly list along with the other terrorists. Failure to pay assessed fines will almost certainly keep you on the no-fly list indefinitely.

Then, when you give them the middle finger and don't pay, those fines were issued as a part of a legal process so you can be jailed for contempt and held as long as that judge wants to keep you there, no limits. I don't know for sure, but I suspect interest will accrue on past due unpaid fines so you'll eventually end up paying a lot more down the road. There is also the possibility that the FAA can issue additional financial penalties if you fail to pay. And, bankruptcy won't help, as those types of fines aren't ever subject to discharge in a bankruptcy proceeding.

They can also garnish your tax returns, and garnish your wages or any government payments you receive. Any garnishment orders your employer receives will include a copy of the original court order, so your employer will know exactly what you did and just may decide you are an employment risk and terminate your employment (this is far more likely if you happen to live in one of the at-will employment states). They can also put liens on your bank accounts, real estate, cars, and personal property (all of which will contribute to ruining your credit).

Since these types of fines also always accompany criminal penalties, failure to pay can get you thrown in jail instead of staying free on probation.

Plus, don't forget the airlines. Anytime they divert a flight to eject an idiot, it costs them tens of thousands of dollars. You can be sure you absolutely will be hearing from their lawyers on the subject. This is in addition to whatever the FAA does to you, and the airlines will hire whomever they need to in order to get their money.

So, what it all boils down to is, if you don't want to wear the mask, just drive there.
When I worked at an Airline I worked up a cost estimate multiple times for unruly passengers causing air interrupts (I had put together a good estimating tool for the cost of reliability and somehow became the person for unruly passengers too, even though it had nothing to do with my job). The costs add up quick and will likely be bigger than the FAA fine.

Not sure how the FAA handles fines against individuals, with airlines generally the number in the press is a "settlement" number, if the airline takes it to court the true fine can be 10x higher.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You're a complete idiot. You apparently are completely oblivious to those that owe our IRS millions...

Haha, I always get a kick outta you calling others idiots

The government does indeed have the power to make your life hell. I would say that's even more true the farther down the social ladder you go.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Ever since getting vaccinated I dont play the mask game anymore. I might wear on a plane however.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Haha, I always get a kick outta you calling others idiots

The government does indeed have the power to make your life hell. I would say that's even more true the farther down the social ladder you go.

Exactly. They will just take it out of your paycheck before you even see it