The F-22 costs $44,000 per hour, can't fly for more than 1.7 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeGermans

Banned
Dec 14, 2004
http://www.washingtonpost.com/...ws&sid=ST2009071001019

Over the four-year period, the F-22's average maintenance time per hour of flight grew from 20 hours to 34, with skin repairs accounting for more than half of that time -- and more than half the hourly flying costs -- last year, according to the test and evaluation office. The Air Force says the F-22 cost $44,259 per flying hour in 2008; the Office of the Secretary of Defense said the figure was $49,808. The F-15, the F-22's predecessor, has a fleet average cost of $30,818.

Think about it. For every hour one of these pieces of shit flies, we could be putting 6 kids on schip. We could pay for two people's college tuition, four people if college costs are brought down. And it can be shot down be a supersoaker. Why do we need this to combat today's threats? Can anyone justify this? It's a plane designed in the 80s for a threat that doesn't exist anymore and now seems to only be around to give saxby chambliss pork for georgia.

---

Thread locked because it was derailed by your own rudeness. Common Courtesy's post was not rude or attacking you in any way so you have no such excuse for your post in this thread.

You just got back from a week off for your rudeness. Your posting privileges are suspended for another week unless you care to respond to my PM with some reason of which I am not aware.

Pitty. It could have been an interesting topic. Maybe one of our less hostile members will repost it for a real discussion.

Harvey
Senior AnandTech Moderator

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
You may wish to fix your spelling/grammar for people to take your posts seriously

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
You may wish to fix your spelling/grammar for people to take your posts seriously

I, too, always put spelling and grammar ahead of logic and facts when deciding when to take an argument seriously.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I wonder if historically 50% more per hour than an established plane is out of line with what is to be expected. It is a ton of money but jet fighters are the military equivalent to top of the line exotics, which also require tons of money to keep going.

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by: MotF Bane
Originally posted by: ZeGermans
shut the fuck up

Oh, hey, welcome back. It's a shame you came back at all, but a week without your nonsense was pretty nice.

Don't worry, just give him time. Given his demonstrated lack of a filter between his brain and mouth/fingers, he should be permabanned before too long.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Phokus

I, too, always put spelling and grammar ahead of logic and facts when deciding when to take an argument seriously.

Apparently he took my comments to heart :D- noticed that he fixed a couple of errors.

WTH is a schip.

BTW - the F22 is manufactured in more places than just Marrietta. That happens to be the final assembly point.

The same goes with most Defense and large scale commercial manufacturing.

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Phokus

Apparently he took my comments to heart :D- noticed that he fixed a couple of errors.

WTH is a schip.

BTW - the F22 is manufactured in more places than just Marrietta. That happens to be the final assembly point.

The same goes with most Defense and large scale commercial manufacturing.

State Children's Health Insurance Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.