think2

Dec 29, 2009
Does anyone know any of the answers to the following questions?
If not, does anyone know where I can get an intelligent answer to the following questions?

I'm a layman and I'm curious to understand how mass affects the expansion of space and whether the expansion of space is uniform everywhere in the universe.

From looking at redshifts it seems we have determined that until 5 billion years ago the expansion was slowing down and since then it has been speeding up. (Q1) Supposedly the average density of mass in the universe is affecting the expansion - is this just conjecture and the only theory we have or is there some solid evidence for thinking this?

Wikipedia says "the scale of space itself changes" but that the model is valid only on large scales (galaxy clusters and above) and that the expansion cannot be observed on a smaller scale. (Q2) Is it possible that space between say, planet Earth and the Sun is actually expanding but is currently unobservable. (Q3) If not, how far from our local group of galaxies do we have to look before we encounter some space that is actually expanding?

Matt Stone

Apr 4, 2018
Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
If not, does anyone know where I can get an intelligent answer to the following questions?

I'm a layman and I'm curious to understand how mass affects the expansion of space and whether the expansion of space is uniform everywhere in the universe.

From looking at redshifts it seems we have determined that until 5 billion years ago the expansion was slowing down and since then it has been speeding up. (Q1) Supposedly the average density of mass in the universe is affecting the expansion - is this just conjecture and the only theory we have or is there some solid evidence for thinking this?

Wikipedia says "the scale of space itself changes" but that the model is valid only on large scales (galaxy clusters and above) and that the expansion cannot be observed on a smaller scale. (Q2) Is it possible that space between say, planet Earth and the Sun is actually expanding but is currently unobservable. (Q3) If not, how far from our local group of galaxies do we have to look before we encounter some space that is actually expanding?

May I suggest the excellent PBS SpaceTime for some answers.

There’s several more of these. Do YouTube search on PBS SpaceTime expansion.

Matt Stone

Apr 4, 2018
I did not know about this PBS SpaceTime Expansion theory. Will surely watch them on youtube.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

watch this one. Its a real talk not some dumb down tv show. Still for the layman.

Reactions: Aharami

think2

Dec 29, 2009
Just watched it - I couldn't stop watching. What a great presenter. I love his straight talking. String theory is BS. A flat universe began from nothing. Forget Jesus, stars died so we could live.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
But is it REALLY expanding? We have no actual verifiable PROOF that it's happening...just a bunch of theories and wild "out of my ass" guesses about it.

Besides...doncha know...there's absolutely NOTHING in the Bible about the expansion of the universe...so it CAN'T be real...

:p

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
But is it REALLY expanding? We have no actual verifiable PROOF that it's happening...just a bunch of theories and wild "out of my ass" guesses about it.

Besides...doncha know...there's absolutely NOTHING in the Bible about the expansion of the universe...so it CAN'T be real...

:p

s/? Watch the vid he brings up piles of proof.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
s/? Watch the vid he brings up piles of proof.

Don't get me wrong...I BELIEVE, but there's really no hard proof. I mean...we've only been considering the possibility for...100 years? Definitely NOT enough time to actually measure any movement...and considering that our solar system is moving within the galaxy...and our galaxy is moving...what is actually being measured? :p

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Don't get me wrong...I BELIEVE, but there's really no hard proof. I mean...we've only been considering the possibility for...100 years? Definitely NOT enough time to actually measure any movement...and considering that our solar system is moving within the galaxy...and our galaxy is moving...what is actually being measured? :p

he literally explains all of that.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

I’d rather you not believe. Instead I’d rather you accept that the evidence, (red shifted light etc) supports the theory of the accelerating expansion of the universe.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
From the release of a black hole/s in other universe comes out ours and grows and shrinks as part of the natural rhythm of the birth and death of black holes. Over time there are more black holes sucking our universe into other parallel universes and sometime there are less. The lull is part of stem and flow, birth and death. Maybe we're close to another slow.

Think of it as a vast and interconnected universal ecosystem between parallel universes.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
how mass affects the expansion of space and whether the expansion of space is uniform everywhere in the universe.

1. we do not know
2. we do not know

there's plenty of theory and studies on both, but no definitive answer.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
1. we do not know
2. we do not know

there's plenty of theory and studies on both, but no definitive answer.
Just a nit pick but theories are the definitive answer, at least when we are talking about science.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
May I suggest the excellent PBS SpaceTime for some answers.

There’s several more of these. Do YouTube search on PBS SpaceTime expansion.
One of the few YouTube channels to which I subscribed. Also, a show to which I donate.

Reactions: Paratus