The Exegesis of This Photograph Haunts Me

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
. . . and is so well done!

"Robert Frank chose this image for the cover of his eye-opening book of 83 photographs, “The Americans,” published in 1959. He had crossed America by car, seeing it as an outsider, a Swiss who left Zurich in 1947 in search of broader horizons.

What he found fascinated and disturbed him. Most horrifying was the ingrained racism. “That trip I got to like black people so much more than white people,” he told Nicholas Dawidoff in The New York Times Magazine in 2015."

^^^ America. :(

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I used to work with a black man. He had lots of faults. He liked to drink and gamble on the horses. He held his own people who didn't work or committed crimes in contempt because of the bad image they gave Blacks. But he was filled with joie de vivre and just plain animal delight, would tell me stories, grab my hand and swing it back and forth. One light, lost and alone deep into the Sierra Nevada, bear tracks in the mud near where I camped, I dreamed of him touching me as I slept and being filled with a sense of piece. Of one thing I felt certain about him. The height of the joy he could allow himself to feel was a reflection of the depths he knew of misery.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Of one thing I felt certain about him. The height of the joy he could allow himself to feel was a reflection of the depths he knew of misery.
And there you have it. Life.